Sign in to follow this  
nac

Creation in Taoism

What exactly was the role of the Tao in the creation of the universe?

Very fair and exellent question Nac.

My first and required response (because of my beliefs) is: "I don't know."

At the moment I am going to leave it at that. I do have a more detailed understanding I will share later but I stress here and now that it is only my understaning and it may have absolutely nothing to do with reality (the truth as it is observable).

I hope you get some nice responses.

Happy Trails!

Marblehead: It doesn't seem like the others have anything to say. What's your opinion on the matter?

Marblehead: It doesn't seem like the others have anything to say. What's your opinion on the matter?

Hi Nac,

Hehehe. Yeah, I almost expected relative silence on this. It really is a difficult subject to discuss.

I will get caught up with the rest of the other posts then get back to this with my understand to your question.

Peace & Love!

This is based on Wuji and Taiji Theory. Out of Tao came Wuji the state of non-existence or complete emptiness, "infinite potential". Then out of Wuji Yin and Yang were created to complete Taiji "supreme ultimate potential". Out of Taiji cam Liang Yi or separation of Yin and Yang. From Liangyi came Sixiang or the four unknowns then to Bagua and 10,000 things.

This theory explains the creation of everything Taoist. In Tao Te Ching it says 1 became 2. 2 became 3 and ....10,000. This explains the concept of one thought arising to scattered thoughts. It explains all creation of anything existing in the post heaven world.

Returning is the motion of the Tao so in cultivation we go from 10,000 back to Wuji back to Tao. Reversing the aging process and growing/cultivating a new spirit.

This explains cultivation but also aligns with nature. Everything in nature follows this process. So as Laozi says that he cannot define what the Way is so he calls it Tao. You cannot define creation with words but you can experience it's power within yourself.

What exactly was the role of the Tao in the creation of the universe?

Did the Tao literally "create" this material universe? (actively or passively)

Or is it more like a principle of creation itself?

Edited by nac

Did the Tao literally "create" this material universe? (actively or passively)

Or is it more like a principle of creation itself?

Okay. I had worked up a document of my understanding of this subject a few years ago and I have tried to find it but have not so I will have to do it all over again.

I'll be back!

Peace & Love!

Edited by Marblehead

Marblehead,

Thanks for putting it more elegantly!

Thanks Wudang.

I actually liked what I did a few years ago better but I searched everywhere and just can't find it.

I guess I have to let it go, Huh? :)

Peace & Love!

Sign in to follow this