everseeking

Microcosmic Orbit

Hello all. I just read something about running the MCO. It describes going up the down the back (from nose, coming over/through the head) on inhale, and up the front on exhale.

I thought you were supposed to always go the other direction. I dont want to like, fry my cortex in trying the meditation.

Thoughts?

N-

Hello all. I just read something about running the MCO. It describes going up the down the back (from nose, coming over/through the head) on inhale, and up the front on exhale.

I thought you were supposed to always go the other direction. I dont want to like, fry my cortex in trying the meditation.

Thoughts?

N-

There are several different fairly common routes for circulation of the MCO. The fire route is the typical way most start... navel down, up the back, over the head, down to navel. The water route is the reverse which you are describing in your post. I'm sure others could comment further, but it has something to do with raising the cool/water qi of the lower depths up to cool the fire of the higher regions.

There is also a wind route which is very similar to the fire route, except instead of going up the back, it goes specifically up the inside of the spine.

Moon Knight,

That info is correct, according to Yang Jwing Ming's material, but I think you mixed up the wind and water paths. Maybe I'm wrong...not a big deal.

The book I recently recommended, Shakti Circuit, explains the reverse MCO very well. I highly suggest reading that for those interested in this topic. The ebook can be found here: http://www.christblueprint.com/index.php?section=102

Good info moon knight. Slowly circulating the energy in this direction (up front down back) can be useful for clearing blocks particularly in the Yin channel, but I wouldn't try 'spinning' the energy up the front and down the back.

I've not come across any techniques that encourage circulating in this direction beyond that though.

The best advice I got on the MCO came from Trunk @ http://www.precisiondocs.com/~altaoism/

Running the Little Orbit first (restricting your circulation to the tan tien) enabled me to build up a strong, turbine-like circulation, and once it got fired up enough it spontaneously spilled up my spine.

You are going to get a lot of info from this thread.

Thanx to Scotty for the book link.

Cool thread. What's funny (or not) is that mine sometimes runs "naturally" up front and down back and forcing it the other way is a very conscious effort.

Can absolutely be done but sometimes causes squiggles or pointy things when forced. Tend not to like disharmonious stuff going on - even very subtle disharmonious stuff.

I think what could be interesting to look at is the way it already runs

Cool thread. What's funny (or not) is that mine sometimes runs "naturally" up front and down back and forcing it the other way is a very conscious effort.

Can absolutely be done but sometimes causes squiggles or pointy things when forced. Tend not to like disharmonious stuff going on - even very subtle disharmonious stuff.

I too have experienced a reversed current. It was spontaneous but even more remarkable was how it caused my throat chakra to pulsate for about three minutes, as if it were simply healing a blockage. The cranial pressure that used to acculumate never came back after that, although I have since taken the post-MCO advice of practicing exercises that clear out stagnant chi from the head.

I have qigong for Health and Martial Arts (jwing-Ming)

Scholar/Warrior by Deng MIng-Dao

Awaken Healing Light by Chia

The complete book of chinese Health and Healing by Daniel Reid (Really good)

The essence of Tai chi by Waysun Liao

I also have Clyman dvds.

As far as I can tell, there is far more uniformity than deviation, but I would really encourage you to crank up the Little Orbit first. I overheated myself but was able to secure the info I needed to cool off.

I forgot who it was who suggested bending your head forward as the pulsing leaves the base of your skull and heads toward your nose. It really helped me open that part of the path up.

Create Dan Tain first. Build/refine Dan Tian next. MCO will happen on its own. OK to circulate if you want. If a person tries to circulate before they cultivate it is very easy to establish blockages. Seen a whole lot of problems when people think MCO is first. Why not allow natural way?

All that said don't worry and just go up back down front AFTER you have built Dan Tian.

• Like 2

Interesting!

What I noticed first off was little orbit (running same way) but I didn't crank it any as far as I can tell, rather I rolled it into a LDT ball (or similar if we're looking at chakras).

How do you crank it up?

Create Dan Tain first. Build/refine Dan Tian next. MCO will happen on its own.

Any suggestion of an easy way to do this? Deep abdominal breathing? Consciously trying to move chi or visualize chi movements don't seem to work very well for me.

Edited by zencave

Create Dan Tain first. Build/refine Dan Tian next. MCO will happen on its own. OK to circulate if you want. If a person tries to circulate before they cultivate it is very easy to establish blockages. Seen a whole lot of problems when people think MCO is first. Why not allow natural way?

All that said don't worry and just go up back down front AFTER you have built Dan Tian.

Yea, that makes a lot of sense. So, my gameplan right now is:

1) Build up dantian and gain sensation there first.

2) Once I can feel it start rotating (typically after about 100 days, according to JJ Semple), then get it to rotate in the "up back, down front" direction (if it isn't already doing that naturally).

3) Expand this dantian rotation to the Little Orbit pelvic rotation.

4) Expand the Little Orbit to the Microcosmic Orbit.

5) Expand that to the Macrocosmic Orbit.

I practiced Embrace Tree consistently for two years, for 15-45 minutes, followed by the nine Nei Kung movements. About 16 months into it, I went to see a TCM physician for a shoulder problem, and after I showed him my Embrace Tree posture, he admonished me to lower my hands and clasp them on my tan tien, left on right, thumbs interlocked.

Like a dumbass, I ignored him, up until about two months ago, and then started practicing as he instructed. The turbine just blasted into operation. At first, it was going backwards, but I was instructed, properly I believe, to not concern myself too much with that. At this point I can generate heat and rotation at will, although I can really crank it up when I assume the posture described above.

For what it's worth (and I know this will sound like prepubescent bravado) I had the benefit of being a personal trainer here in LA and enjoyed the priviledge of getting into freakishly good shape; I was very strong, pound for pound, but also the most flexible trainer on the staff. I honestly believe that mind/muscle connection is not only the key to somatic/kinesthetic awareness, but key to being able to relax soooo much that you become much more sensitive to your internal environment.

I'm also a textbook case of lefthandedness/right hemisphere-dominance, a real artsy-fartsy kind of guy with an abundance of imagination, which really helps. I've never had to use physical palpations to trigger sensory awareness, although standing in view of large anatomy posters helps with visualization.

I was also a trumpet player for years, and brought a lot of breathing awareness to my practice. Brass players have got the diaphragm down. Check out the 3D video here.

http://www.swamij.com/diaphragmatic-breathing.htm

I'm so reluctant to even post this, since I'm so new to the practice. But my MCO feels pretty darn good.

Edited by Blasto

Any suggestion of an easy way to do this? Deep abdominal breathing? Consciously trying to move chi or visualize chi movements don't seem to work very well for me.

Well you could think about finding a teacher that will help you create dan tian. Or if you have several years just put awareness on dan tian and don't think.

• Like 1

Hi kate,

What you say is very interesting. There is a book called Qi Healing by Toshihiko Yayama.

http://www.amazon.com/Qi-Healing-Way-Mind-Body/dp/4770023820

He along with many other taoists affirm the Microcosmic Orbit flows the opposite direction with Females. This same theory was also shared by many other masters at a large Qigong Convention mentioned later in the book.

Here are some pages from the book that talk about opening the orbit. He uses a very unique method of using chi from ones hands to first stimulate the channel.

http://www.geocities.com/thekiwarrior87/microcosmic.html

Hope this helps,

Edited by r.w.smith

Michael Winn says to try both directions and do the one that feels right for you.

Though going up the front feels easier for me, I've had tangible benefits from going the "standard" way, mainly using Chunyi Lin's Spring Forest Qigong Small Universe meditation (which does not use Little Orbit practice). I haven't practiced going up the front at any great length. Maybe some day.

Guest sykkelpump

when i meditate the orbit moves up the spine and down the front.and never the other way.

I dont want to like, fry my cortex in trying the meditation.

you need a good amout of power to 'achieve' that 'result'.

otherwise is like worrying about touching a pocket-size battery, what if you will get electrocuted.

it all depends on what you want, that shapes the way you practice, and the results you are going to meet.

Just like to say I agree with this.

My teacher says, why dig a channel if you have no water?

build up the reservoir first, the channel is already there. More water will eventually spill over to fill and move in the channel(s).

This is the problem with the popular Chia style MCO practice. If done just with mind and visualization you will likely be moving nothing more than the mind, or only a trickle. Build up Qi in Dantien first.

Craig

What a sweet way to say it!

:)

This is interesting since the Chia way is the way I come. How will I be certain it's not just my imagination?

Well, I'm certain. Because it often happens that without thinking about it, doing something like driving or typing, I suddenly become aware of the sensation of warm pressure rising up the spine and moving along the orbit. If it's just the mind, I'm fooling myself very well :D I've also had no problems with this.

Maybe the pranayama exercices I did for a couple of years before starting with MO have built my dantien power?

Just like to say I agree with this.

build up the reservoir first, the channel is already there. More water will eventually spill over to fill and move in the channel(s).

This is the problem with the popular Chia style MCO practice. If done just with mind and visualization you will likely be moving nothing more than the mind, or only a trickle. Build up Qi in Dantien first.

Craig

Edited by King Kabalabhati

"Create Dan Tain first. Build/refine Dan Tian next. MCO will happen on its own."

it is right , and the circle start from back.

DanTain is a small ball in the lower Tommie,

you could help it started.

in Tao Qigong, you need 100 day no sex, and meditation at middle night for at least half hour during 11:00pm to 1:00 am everyday. then some people will be able to start, there is a way to start, it is not just start at its own. without knowing that a few words security.

also, for female , the way is different . the above words are for male only.

however, there are 3 blocks at back.

it need about 5 page to describe all details. and it is security of Tao, teaching the way of person to person.

just start without prepare Dantian , it is not good man.

Edited by TianhuaQigong

Many feel that the MCO is an advanced practice: perhaps because many of us are energetically depleated. It is considered dangerous by some, but only if done incorrectly. The fire path(down front/up back) should be cleared and circulated first. The water path is by no means unnatural, as this is the way qi circulates naturally when we are children. It is associated more with intuition. It changes to the fire path as we get to our teens and adulthood. The wind path circulates around and through the spine and brain which is more advanced, and could be detrimental to a novice. If you are a beginner practicing the fire path, the water path can be used to help clear blockages and coll any excess heat.