Old Man Contradiction

Is a buddha basically god?

Just wondering, is a buddha basically god? Not what people think god is, but if you escape the dissolution and recreation of the universe, but yet are still existent as something limitless and without intention... is that not natural god?

Buddha died. Just like Jesus died. Just like all others who thought they were above and beyond the processes of Nature have died.

No one nor no thing is beyond the reaches of the processes of Nature.

Happy Trails!

Just wondering, is a buddha basically god? Not what people think god is, but if you escape the dissolution and recreation of the universe, but yet are still existent as something limitless and without intention... is that not natural god?

No, Buddha is not God and Buddha didn't die. Only his body fell away. He is still in a refined form body or Sambhogakaya and he has realized his Dharmakaya. He is not without intention, he is filled with the intentions of the 4 immeasurables. Infinite loving kindness, infinite compassion, infinite altruistic joy and infinite equanimity. He is filled with the limitless sense of offering and still manifests as various Buddhas in different realms.

He did not create this universe, and he cannot liberate us, he can only influence us with his teachings and energy.

Because Marblehead thinks there is nothing after the death of the body, doesn't mean he is right. Because his perception is limited to his 5 senses, he thinks everyone elses is. But this is not so.

Because Marblehead thinks there is nothing after the death of the body, doesn't mean he is right. Because his perception is limited to his 5 senses, he thinks everyone elses is. But this is not so.

This actually has a basis in truth. That truth being that each and every one of us has the ability to create any delusion we wish to and then hold to that delusion as if it were an ultimate truth.

But then few on this planet are capable of living a life that is based on the reality of nature and cause and effect. So there you go.

Happy Trails!

Buddha lived. He accidently ate poisonous mushrooms, and he died, along with Jesus, Julius Caesar, Ghandi, and Timothy McVeigh. We all die. That's it. VJ continues to argue that if you don't wish to be bogged down with silly notions about earth-bound physical realities, you simply ignore them, and Voila! you are free to engage in all the metaphysical trappings that a non-educated person could possibly indulge in.

VJ has made the practice of metaphysical arguments an art form. At some point, should he ever wish to be taken seriously by people other than online forum junkies, he will acquire the ability to test the veracity of his thoughts in an environment more challenging than an online forum, such as, a classroom... with students... and professors...

Sorry, kiddo, but you really are losing it.

I don't see why everyone bashes VH. He's actually one of the more advanced practitioners here.

It's good to keep an open mind about things you have no clue about. Of course, if you choose not to, it'll only make it more surprising when you find out you were wrong. Some people enjoy surprises...so, to each their own.

I don't see why everyone bashes VH. He's actually one of the more advanced practitioners here.

By what criteria? He'd be laughed out of any lower-division philosophy class in the country if he behaved there the way he does in here, not for the integrity of his views, but for his inability to express them coherently. This skill may not be the only sign of authentic wisdom but it is one hell of a good indicator, and if this skill evades you, consistently, you're probably not in charge of your material.

Blaming your unintelligibility on the inferior thinking of other intelligent and educated people is another sign that your command of info just ain't up to speed.

I hate to sound so frigging uncharitable about someone who is evidently sincere in his spiritual path but generating a constant stream of impenetrable and esoteric language is not to be confused with spiritual maturity. In fact, this ploy is as old as the hills.

I understand much of what he says. It might just be a matter of practicing more, or practicing something else.

Buddha died. Just like Jesus died. Just like all others who thought they were above and beyond the processes of Nature have died.

No one nor no thing is beyond the reaches of the processes of Nature.

Happy Trails!

Nothing is gained or lost in the manifestation of cause and effects. Your habits and ego will go somewhere too.

No one knows precisely how Nature behaves, so saying that nothing is beyond Nature doesn't really say much. We can only speculate. So yes, Buddha, Jesus, or whoever is not beyond Nature, but we don't know to the full extent the functions of Nature as a whole.

Er, unless you can create nature like they say for someone someones :lol: .

Buddha lived. He accidently ate poisonous mushrooms, and he died, along with Jesus, Julius Caesar, Ghandi, and Timothy McVeigh. We all die. That's it. VJ continues to argue that if you don't wish to be bogged down with silly notions about earth-bound physical realities, you simply ignore them, and Voila! you are free to engage in all the metaphysical trappings that a non-educated person could possibly indulge in.

VJ has made the practice of metaphysical arguments an art form. At some point, should he ever wish to be taken seriously by people other than online forum junkies, he will acquire the ability to test the veracity of his thoughts in an environment more challenging than an online forum, such as, a classroom... with students... and professors...

Sorry, kiddo, but you really are losing it.

"We" die. And who are "we"?

Who am "I"?

Your brain? Your hormones? Your body? Are these you or are these your"s"? Where is the origin of "you" that you act from?

Find "you" and you will find it is as beguiling as the mysterious cavity of the Tao. :D .

I thought VJ gave a great answer to the question. I don't read many of his posts, but the ones I do read seem sincere.

I mean he could be a complete dick and offend all the Buddhists and all of the Christians on the board by saying offensive things about their teachers, but he didn't.

I understand much of what he says. It might just be a matter of practicing more, or practicing something else.

I don't really like you as a person much. I have compassion for you in the general sense, but I don't think your a very good person.

If I went around saying the above about you and others I bet I would get banned. Yet it's what he said to ralis who has been no more critical of V then V has been of others. Yet when he get's his own medicine he says:

I don't really like you as a person much. I have compassion for you in the general sense, but I don't think your a very good person.

Do you see the problem? If he doesn't like people - EXACTLY AS CRITICAL as him - and commits defamation of character by calling them not very good people, how can he be expect any different? Doesn't this knee jerk response to criticism no more harsh then he dishes out seem somehow off to you? He knows a lot about these philosophical concepts (right or wrong), but these are mere means to the actual Buddhist end, to which all that is merely just a first, beginner's step. He is just immature on the way but meanly and ignorantly goes for the personal jugular of other equally clued in people (and more clued in) like he's the infallible Buddha pope (which he isn't). That's the problem.

VH doesn't bother me either although he does have at least one blindside that I wish he would look into fixing - especially since his path includes the way of the Bodhisattva. Yes...it is true that if he says something that irritates someone that does indeed mean there is an issue - a hot button in them that needs to be resolved that is causing them pain.

However...there is also something at work within him as well that is making him play out this pugnacity. Past karma is no excuse for being an "igniter" of other people's hot buttons. This is "igniting suffering" in other people. A big No No in Buddhism. I do believe Buddhism has texts that stress this point. It indicates a blindness to an issue of one's own that needs work.

Example...I can't imagine the Dalai Lama (were he ever so inclined to begin posting regularly at TaoBums) being so pugnacious about Buddhism and Buddhist interpretations of the cosmos. This gentle and kindly man would smile, be gracious about everyone's beliefs then invite one to learn more about Buddhism if one were so inclined.

Having said that I do know VH has a kind heart. I just wish he would display it more openly and continuously at TB. I maintain hope that he will show everyone the kind heart I know he has.

And as to whether anyone can find out if there are senses beyond our default five - well the nice thing is that we all can go meditate and see for ourselves if this is so. We don't HAVE to take anyone else's word for that unless we just want to. We can also go test it for ourselves if we're willing to put the time and effort into it.

Tao99,

That's in the past, and not even related to this topic. It makes no sense to me why people would keep bringing up old crap in new topics he responds in. Just discuss the issue at hand, and please stop attacking his character or past words. It just totally dumbs down the forum, and wastes a lot of time.

That's the problem.

Anybody who learns spiritual techniques to further his no-limit gambling carrier is a fraud.

ralis admitted to this. This is why I don't like him as a personality.

Your projections Tao99 are really none of my concern though. I'll let you have them.

Yes...it is true that if he says something that irritates someone that does indeed mean there is an issue - a hot button in them that needs to be resolved that is causing them pain.

So its the listener's fault? please. Let's see how you react to it.

Hey Serene, I don't really like you as a person much. I have compassion for you in the general sense, but I don't think your a very good person.

You call this a respectful post? Now don't go defending your compassionate self - remember the problem is in you - an issue - a hot button in you that needs to be resolved that is causing you pain. Please. Nobody speaks to my character (the core of it all which you never get from V's posts, yet you seem to think he is more then a beginner) from a position of ignorance and as a knee jerk response and think I won't respond to this serios CHARGE>

Edited by Tao99

I should actually reply to the topic, too... :lol:

We shouldn't call someone God when we don't understand what their condition is, and also what God is. When we define the two things, then we can say...however our definitions might not match up with the reality of who they are and what God is...so what we say is probably wrong.

More practice is needed, which is the only means of discovery...

:rolleyes::D

Anybody who learns spiritual techniques to further his no-limit gambling carrier is a fraud.

ralis admitted to this. This is why I don't like him as a personality.

Your projections Tao99 are really none of my concern though. I'll let you have them.

The art of war is not a spiritual technique. Studying the Art of War to better understand a skill game is not a spiritual technique. That's just plain stupid and full of self-centered projection. Get real with reality already.

To be honest, one needs no great ability to communicate with other human beings to have great compassion for them and/or a connection with the unnameable. From my small time on this board, I've found Vajrahridaya to be a source of both thought and conflict. He shares a view that I had never considered, and he shares it with apparent knowledge. Many don't agree, and he is not exactly as humble as one would expect, but I find when I'm not lying to myself that neither am I. And why should this anger a Taoist? Are these 'incoherently expressed words' not just pointless black shapes on a screen?

The art of war is not a spiritual technique. Studying the Art of War to better understand a skill game is not a spiritual technique. That's just plain stupid and full of self-centered projection. Get real with reality already.

Your right, it was the Art of War. I guess that makes it a little bit better.

Tricking people out of their money is not merely a skill game. It's a drug.

And why should this anger a Taoist? Are these 'incoherently expressed words' not just pointless black shapes on a screen?

I agree. I really don't understand why people get so angry?? I really don't. I just process a different point of reference in my interpretation and state it here and there using textual context to back up the view. I don't actually attack anyones character. Except this one time with ralis.

But... if you look at the history. My character has been attacked furiously like I was a sheep in a pack of wolves.

So its the listener's fault? please. Let's see how you react to it.

Hey Serene, I don't really like you as a person much. I have compassion for you in the general sense, but I don't think your a very good person.

You call this a respectful post? Now don't go defending your compassionate self - remember the problem is in you - an issue - a hot button in you that needs to be resolved that is causing you pain. Please. Nobody speaks to my character (the core of it all which you never get from V's posts, yet you seem to think he is more then a beginner) from a position of ignorance and as a knee jerk response and think I won't respond to this serious CHARGE>

No...if you state that I'm a bad person and don't like me because of it Tao99 that is ok. You would not be banned for it. You are just stating your truth. If I hurt from it then yes...there is a button inside me that is there...it's being pressed. Once that button is disolved you can say all kinds of nasty, evil things about me and I'll either A) yawn and move on or B ) laugh merrily and be on my way and still wish you well (which in fact I do - wish you well I mean).

Your right, it was the Art of War. I guess that makes it a little bit better.

Tricking people out of their money is not merely a skill game. It's a drug.

I agree. I really don't understand why people get so angry?? I really don't. I just process a different point of reference in my interpretation and state it here and there using textual context to back up the view. I don't actually attack anyones character. Except this one time with ralis.

But... if you look at the history. My character has been attacked furiously like I was a sheep in a pack of wolves.

When a skill game football team tricks the defense with a trick play and scores the winning TD in the superbowl and get the million dollar bonus, is that tricking people? Is that a drug? Please - you are just making crap up to suit your agenda. You need to get real about reality and stick to the precepts - the rest is still over your head and you would create a police state in about 2 minutes.

A drug is alcohol, which you called fun and games.

PS I don't recall anyone here ever attacking your character by calling you "not a very good person". Once again just BSing to suit your agenda.

Edited by Tao99

PS I don't recall anyone here ever attacking your character by calling you "not a very good person".

LOL! Yes, I know... people have said worse things.

:lol::lol::lol:

A) yawn and move on or B ) laugh merrily and be on my way and still wish you well (which in fact I do - wish you well I mean).

I see you doing point B. :P