~jK~

Awakening Psychic Abilities

Because to focus on psychic abilities and to say how to obtain them is just a diversion. If abilities arise or occur as an indirect result of cultivation, that might be fine, if they don't arise that's fine too.

To the mind that is not seeking it makes no difference either way.

Thoughts of obtaining abilities can create feelings of desire in the mind of the cultivator, and feelings of greed and desire are one of the biggest impediments.

That's why it is not often spoken about.

I found it at first detrimental to my path in fact. I wished they had never arisen. I also see in other beings who have psychic powers but not real discernment as to where these thoughts are actually arising from get highly confused and start projecting things onto the wrong people. All sorts of complications can arise it seems. At first my cultivated compassion turned to pain when I really started hearing what was on other peoples minds. It became very disconcerting because by the time they started to arise I had already pretty much cleared out all social thinking and replaced it with mantra and every time I heard a thought from someone else, I felt the energy of the thought too and it would pull me down into feelings of darkness. Plus I found that other psychics would be reading other peoples thoughts through me because I would just let them flow through while I repeated the mantra silently without identifying and people would get confused. I just find it really complicates things and causes lots and lots of confusion. <_<

On the other side, I guess I became even more compassionate in the long run as I overcame the negative symptoms through mantra meditation and an intensified regiment of inner focus. I find it's still an ongoing process, but I've made leaps and bounds over the last 11 years since they started happening to me. Lots of aspects of clinging that I wouldn't have known were there prior to having certain siddhis have been de-clung through intensified effort. So, this is good. I could write pages and pages on this though. But generally speaking. I'm not a big fan of telepathy as I prefer to just focus on the pulsation of mantra. :)

But the seeing energy, chakras and different classes of beings part of it is interesting and hearing the thoughts of great beings is wonderful! But, I don't ever make it a focus and I don't regard these things as signs of greatness either.

I find that if I focus on joy :lol: , that I'm protected from the negative side of this power, so over the years the subtleties of my joy and detachment has deepened and changed because of this. I don't mind if I'm considered one of the, "happy people" by the poverty consciousness type of psychics who think that happiness is an alien invasion, or something. Though psychic powers, one can sure find out directly how much in Kali Yuga we all really are. :huh:

Take good care. :mellow:

Because to focus on psychic abilities and to say how to obtain them is just a diversion. If abilities arise or occur as an indirect result of cultivation, that might be fine, if they don't arise that's fine too.

Thoughts of obtaining abilities can create feelings of desire in the mind of the cultivator, and feelings of greed and desire are one of the biggest impediments.

Thanks Mat. That is beautiful.

Peace & Love!

I found it at first detrimental to my path in fact. I wished they had never arisen. I also see in other beings who have psychic powers but not real discernment as to where these thoughts are actually arising from get highly confused and start projecting things onto the wrong people. All sorts of complications can arise it seems. At first my cultivated compassion turned to pain when I really started hearing what was on other peoples minds. It became very disconcerting because by the time they started to arise I had already pretty much cleared out all social thinking and replaced it with mantra and every time I heard a thought from someone else, I felt the energy of the thought too and it would pull me down into feelings of darkness. Plus I found that other psychics would be reading other peoples thoughts through me because I would just let them flow through while I repeated the mantra silently without identifying and people would get confused. I just find it really complicates things and causes lots and lots of confusion. <_<

On the other side, I guess I became even more compassionate in the long run as I overcame the negative symptoms through mantra meditation and an intensified regiment of inner focus. I find it's still an ongoing process, but I've made leaps and bounds over the last 11 years since they started happening to me. Lots of aspects of clinging that I wouldn't have known were there prier to having certain siddhis have been de-clung through intensified effort. So, this is good. I could write pages and pages on this though. But generally speaking. I'm not a big fan of telepathy as I prefer to just focus on the pulsation of mantra. :)

But the seeing energy, chakras and different classes of beings part of it is interesting and hearing the thoughts of great beings is wonderful! But, I don't ever make it a focus and I don't regard these things as signs of greatness either.

I find that if I focus on joy :lol: , that I'm protected from the negative side of this power, so over the years the subtleties of my joy and detachment has deepened and changed because of this. I don't mind if I'm considered one of the, "happy people" by the poverty consciousness type of psychics who think that happiness is an alien invasion, or something. Though psychic powers, one can sure find out directly how much in Kali Yuga we all really are. :huh:

Third leg powers are still cool.

Third leg powers are still cool.

This did increase through psychic powers I must say! :lol:

So are three-legged pigs. :)

Peace & Love!

I prefer the dog types. But, pigs are cute anyway... both me and my GF were commenting the other day on how the heck people could eat such cute things??

On the other side, I guess I became even more compassionate in the long run as I overcame the negative symptoms through mantra meditation and an intensified regiment of inner focus. I find it's still an ongoing process, but I've made leaps and bounds over the last 11 years since they started happening to me. Lots of aspects of clinging that I wouldn't have known were there prier to having certain siddhis have been de-clung through intensified effort. So, this is good. I could write pages and pages on this though. But generally speaking. I'm not a big fan of telepathy as I prefer to just focus on the pulsation of mantra. :)

This is all very well and totally reasonable and understandable... if your end goal is liberation or whatever.

What if your goal is to get psychic abilities in the first place? Call me immature and stupid, but I think psychic powers would be awesome to have, and it's one of the goals that I hope to attain in my life.

Yes, I am attached to getting them. Yes, I can do "bad" things with them.

But I can be just as attached to my favorite foods, and I can do just as many "bad" things with a plastic fork.

So when people say things like, "you must strive for liberation, and sometimes psychic powers awaken, sometimes not", that's all good and well.

But when people say, "oh, here is how you can get psychic powers," but then turn around and say, "it will get in your way", well, you are assuming (sometimes incorrectly) that their end goal is the same as yours.

Yes, it would be nice to attain liberation and end suffering and all that, and in the long-long run I hope to get that. But first I want to attain psychic powers and play with those a bit (yes, I said "want", and yes, I know that I would be putting myself at risk to get bad karma).

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

What if your goal is to get psychic abilities in the first place? Call me immature and stupid, but I think psychic powers would be awesome to have, and it's one of the goals that I hope to attain in my life.

Yes, I am attached to getting them. Yes, I can do "bad" things with them.

But I can be just as attached to my favorite foods, and I can do just as many "bad" things with a plastic fork.

So when people say things like, "you must strive for liberation, and sometimes psychic powers awaken, sometimes not", that's all good and well.

But when people say, "oh, here is how you can get psychic powers," but then turn around and say, "it will get in your way", well, you are assuming (sometimes incorrectly) that their end goal is the same as yours.

Yes, it would be nice to attain liberation and end suffering and all that, and in the long-long run I hope to get that. But first I want to attain psychic powers and play with those a bit (yes, I said "want", and yes, I know that I would be putting myself at risk to get bad karma).

Psychic power ain't cool if you don't have some sort of "off" button.

As long as you know Zhang. I'm not going to try to psychically stop you. :lol:

Indeed! It took me years to intuit that. I find that the only time it doesn't work, is when I'm not in a good place, or really, really tired. Like yesterday I was having some issues.

I've been getting help on meditation from other boards. Including from Daniel Ingram himself. It appears I've reached and passed the Arising & Passing Away phase and so am further along in meditation than I thought.

Not everything is as it seems just from message board posts.

<_<

In my opinion, getting passed "the Arising & Passing Away" phase is the #1 barrier to get through in meditation. All else , to me, is daily practice.

Welcome home.

Thank you. Apparently I've been in it for many, many months - probably well over 6. Ingram has helped me understand why every method I tried wasn't working. And the advise to just STFU isn't necessarily helpful to someone who doesn't know the A&P is what they're dealing with and that the usual concentration methods don't work at that time.

I erased the post you quoted and put a certain person on ignore whom I am currently unable to treat with equanimity. If I can not rationally deal with the ire inspired by this person then I need to gain some distance and fresh air.

As long as you know Zhang. I'm not going to try to psychically stop you. :lol:

Indeed! It took me years to intuit that. I find that the only time it doesn't work, is when I'm not in a good place, or really, really tired. Like yesterday I was having some issues.

You know the best teacher is direct experience, so how about you guys teach me some psychic powers so I can experience this for myself? :)

You know the best teacher is direct experience, so how about you guys teach me some psychic powers so I can experience this for myself? :)

No thank you.

I ended up attacking, out of fear, either Blue Tara or Shakti before I even knew it was her or of her.

Edited by lino

If you meditate intensely... it will happen automatically if you just listen. Everyone is psychic, it's just being awake to it.

BTW...if you check other posts here on thetaobums, the framework for a program is already there.