Archaic17

"In Movement there is stillness"?

i do not understand this concept of the tao

how is there movement in stillness and stillness in movement?

-Brandon

" The True Mind can weather all the illusions, since beginningless time darkness has thrived in the void, but always kneels to purified light" - Lion Turtle.

-Brandon

" The True Mind can weather all the illusions, since beginningless time darkness has thrived in the void, but always kneels to purified light" - Lion Turtle.

Do I practice Taiji?

no but i want to learn very badly

The concept of movement in stillness and stillness in movement is much easier experienced than understood intellectually. It's an integral part of Taiji practice. It has to do with movement occurring in the waist and torso moreso than the extremities. It has to do with the body remaining relaxed and 'song' during movement. It has to do with the mind remaining quiet during movement. Movement in stillness includes the movement of the circulation of Qi awareness in the absence of any physical motion. It has to do with guiding the Qi with the intention. It has to do with cultivating sensitivity in pushing hands.

It's a really fascinating experience but doesn't mean much on paper, I don't think.

What are you waiting for? Find a Taiji program and jump in!

YOu'll love it!

:D

The concept of movement in stillness and stillness in movement is much easier experienced than understood intellectually. It's an integral part of Taiji practice. It has to do with movement occurring in the waist and torso moreso than the extremities. It has to do with the body remaining relaxed and 'song' during movement. It has to do with the mind remaining quiet during movement. Movement in stillness includes the movement of the circulation of Qi awareness in the absence of any physical motion. It has to do with guiding the Qi with the intention. It has to do with cultivating sensitivity in pushing hands.

It's a really fascinating experience but doesn't mean much on paper, I don't think.

What are you waiting for? Find a Taiji program and jump in!

YOu'll love it!

:D

Well said,

Meditation is the flip side: Movement in stillness. Keeping the body still, many internal sensations can be noticed and when noticed come alive. There is another quote in the Daodejing that reads something like, "watch the ten-thousand things rise, fall, and return to their origin."

Pretty much the whole Daodejing is a description of direct experience that exists before words and thoughts. An academic approach to passages therein will surely miss the point.

You don't understand the meaning of the word movement. Movement is pulling the strings; the word movement is another word for control. Since you can cause movement by vigorous action, how could you not be able to cause stillness by pure quietude?

From Secret of Golden Flower trans. by Cleary.

:) .

Conceptualizing, or wanting (eg. stillness) equals more friction (more to experience)

and as such there will be more (direction/condensation - physical/-body) noise -

but, is there however a (real) movement, then it has no direction, it will go in all directions.

The friction will be massive - absolut, so it will eventually paralyse the nerve system and it will shut it self off.

Edited by Guest

-Brandon

Once you find your center you will know.

Until then just words for the mind.

-Brandon

Along with what most others have said I also like to think as the "rubber meets the road" aspect of meditation.

"The stillness in stillness is not the true stillness" which I take to mean that anybody can be a spiritual god/meditation-mindfulness master when they are sitting in their apartment or facing the wall or on the cushion. It is only in relating to the uncontrolled world that our practice takes real root and has real meaning. That is at least part of it for me and that doesn't even get into what others have said about practices such as Taiji. But it is all very much connected. What steve f. wrote resonates with my own experiences with the internal boxing styles.

-Brandon

In the system I practice and teach, Stillness-Movement Qigong, we obtain stillness by cutting the internal dialogue and relaxing the body to allow the qi to move the body. So this is movement through stillness. Our movement system, the Gift of the Tao movements (which are obtained through the Stillness-Movement practice), do the opposite, we move through patterns of vibrational shifting which induce stillness.

It could have to do with transcending the duality of stillness/movement.

Which is based upon the concept of motion.

Which is entirely relative, and based upon dimensional spacetime.

Imagine you were hanging alone in the "middle" of empty space. How could you tell if you were moving or not, if there is nothing else there?