Sign in to follow this  
farooq

The Mantak Chia of Yoga;0)

Well as Yoda knows, i'm really into the AYP stuff, so i thought i would check out my local yoga school

Welll let me tell you i stumbled into a 90 minute torture chamber :o

I always thought yoga was a soft relaxing activity, but not Bikram yoga.

This guy Bikram Chaudry came to hollywood and created a yoga system where you are 'locked' into a room at 42 celsius or 105 degrees for an hour and a half of really tough almost impossible asanas or postures.

A lot of big name entertainers swear by his yoga, and he has gone on to make millions by franchising his schools all over the world. His website says there are something like 3million students. I saw a clip of him teaching a class with just a speedo and a jewel encrusted rolex watch. (move over Mantak :P

I have to admit that i am really getting into it. The postures are really complimentary to all my chikung and ayp practices. All my channels are really opening up as a result plus i'm losing a lot of fat around my belly :D

be sure to balance it out with some serious chill-out

i had a yoga teacher say that there are only about a dozen people in the US that actually need power yoga and everyone else is burning themselves up

its my understanding that bikram is considered a form of power yoga

good luck,

t

That's awesome farooq! I've never done Bikram. I used to get this little bedroom I lived in cookin' with a thermostat and a few space heaters and do some ashtanga though. Very fun. If you're into Sonnon and crew, here are a few good threads pertaining to Bikram I enjoyed: 1 2 3 4

Yay! :)

Sean

That's awesome farooq! I've never done Bikram. I used to get this little bedroom I lived in cookin' with a thermostat and a few space heaters and do some ashtanga though. Very fun.  If you're into Sonnon and crew, here are a few good threads pertaining to Bikram I enjoyed: 1 2 3 4

Yay!  :)

Sean

9452[/snapback]

Thanks Sean,

This Coach Sonnon is a really cool guy to be so open to learn from so many different paths.

Very interesting threads

I totally agree that the corpse pose between the floor poses is crucial to 'digest' what gets brought up from this activity.

At the very end of the 90 minutes, we are encouraged to just stay in the corpse pose for as long as we want and do nothing - very wu wei :)

So far i've gone to 6 classes, and i hope do do alot more cuz i really feel its opening me up big time

be sure to balance it out with some serious chill-out

i had a yoga teacher say that there are only about a dozen people in the US that actually need power yoga and everyone else is burning themselves up

its my understanding that bikram is considered a form of power yoga

good luck,

t

9438[/snapback]

Hi turbo,

After doing a class, i feel for the rest of the day surprisingly 'cool'

I mean in the class we are literally cooking from the heat and exertion, but afterwards... espeacially if i have stayed in the corpse pose for a good 5 minutes+ after the class...... later on i feel very temperate - not too hot nor cold.

On a different note, more girls attend than guys. And the girls are definitely more flexible than us ;)

Hi turbo,

After doing a class, i feel for the rest of the day surprisingly 'cool'

I mean in the class we are literally cooking from the heat and exertion, but afterwards... espeacially if i have stayed in the corpse pose for a good 5 minutes+ after the class...... later on i feel very temperate - not too hot nor cold.

On a different note, more girls attend than guys. And the girls are definitely more flexible than us ;)

9501[/snapback]

farooq,

Glad you like it, I'm back to simple streching before meditation, so I'll have to check it out sometime when I've got time to upgrade the physical side of things.

A couple of chicks from school were raving about it last year, sounds like a good place to meet a more spiritually minded gal.

Enjoy,

t

Edited by turbo

Sign in to follow this