Sign in to follow this  
markern

How much do you sleep?

I have noticed that a lot of cultivators sleep very little due to cultivation. How much do you sleep and do you feel it is enough?

I need about 7 to feel fairly well rested I often manage on about 6 and a half but I would sleep about 8 if I could. In the future I hope to effortlessly get sleeptime down by 2-3 hours. That would revolutionize my life.

I have noticed that a lot of cultivators sleep very little due to cultivation. How much do you sleep and do you feel it is enough?

I need about 7 to feel fairly well rested I often manage on about 6 and a half but I would sleep about 8 if I could. In the future I hope to effortlessly get sleeptime down by 2-3 hours. That would revolutionize my life.

I'm not sure which cultivators you're referring to.

"A lot" is definitely an overstatement.

Maybe < 5 people on this board are "serious" cultivators who can actually shorten their sleeping hours and maintain a level of health and vitality.

Personally, I work on a prime 7.5 hours. I've timed my sleeping schedule so that once I'm in a light sleep my gentle alarm goes off. Going to bed early, and waking up early, for me, definitely is more well-resting than the contrary. E.g. if I go to bed at 2, wake up at 10, I feel awful. But if I go to bed at 10, wake up at 6 I feel great.

10:30 - 5:45 is about prime for me, so that I can do any morning exercises.

Edited by DaoChild

My requirements are about 6 1/2 hours of "good" sleep. When I nap, if the nap was 'good' then the nightly requirement is reduced. Dreaming or other distractions increases the time needed.

Happy Trails!

Being unemployed and no set schedule, my sleep pattern has evolved to mostly nocturnal. This happened gradually, from getting to sleep around midnight and getting up at 6:30 to sleeping from 5:00am to 12:00pm.

Even if I get to sleep early, when I wake early I feel sleepy and sluggish. If I go to bed early, I will toss and turn, or read a book until 5:00am. I drink little caffeine, maybe a cup of tea when I get up. I have tried eliminating T.V. and computer use at night. I just don't feel sleepy when the sun goes down and I am not my best in the am no matter how much sleep I get.

At the moment this cycle causes no problems, so I just resigned to it. I know that it is unnatural, but it seems to work for me.

• Like 1

Hi Markern....

I usually seem to get around 6-7 hours a night on average, although I do not aim to get any specific amount of sleep. I usually just go to bed when I am sleepy and get up when I awake. Personally I am finding that on the days when I am not sleepy until 2-3am or something, yet I still need to be up at 6 to practice before work at 8, that I still feel well rested. Basically, the amount of sleep I get is always just right, every night. On the other side of that equation, I have sometimes been known to sleep for 10 hours at a time. This is about as rare as me sleeping 3 hours a night or something though. Usually I get 6-7 and am always feeling well rested and ready to go.

This is a great change for me by the way. The entire time I was addicted to opiates (legal or illegal) I would need at least 10 -12 hours and I was never well rested. I always had to suppliment with meth, cocaine, or another stimulant in order to make it through the day. I could NEVER get up before noon, and I needed 3 alarm clocks to do that. Now I don't use an alarm clock at all (I fried it anyways ;) ) and am up before the sunrises usually. Personally I wouldn't go back to the way it was for anything.

Love,

Carson :D

My requirements are about 6 1/2 hours of "good" sleep. When I nap, if the nap was 'good' then the nightly requirement is reduced. Dreaming or other distractions increases the time needed.

Happy Trails!

How would you know if dreaming makes you personally require more sleep? You dream every night regardless of whether or not you remember it :)

"Too much fun stuff to do in life to sleep" Yeah im not gonna lie.. I've had times where I'd sleep like 20 hours.. Then go to sleep again

Sleep about the same amount as above people, usually meditate when I wake up after dream, and before and after sleep. Its such a great time to meditate. It takes so much time to get close to that relaxed during a sitting meditation. Its all about time and meditation efficiency. Ha ha, but to a normal person, it seems I'm being extra lazy.

I've not yet explored the whole realm of sleep deprivation leading to groovy visions and experiences.

I've not yet explored the whole realm of sleep deprivation leading to groovy visions and experiences.

Not scary not fun.. Least not what I've seen, its just really annoying and makes you think "Jesus I need sleep".

hehe.

My partner has sleeping the same time (shift work) the last few days so I've been sleeping in this week rather than getting up to practice and just practicing in the afternoon instead.

Posted above that I was getting tired so went to bed at 10:30pm last night. Was going to get up at 6:20am but took the extra 40 min snuggling again.

40 min of sleep is not as energising as 25 min of chigungs :(

I have been doing tai chi the last couple of days and it has made my sleep wonderfull:) Big improvement

Sign in to follow this