Old Man Contradiction

Fascia and Neurology

I dont know about that. It sounds very interesting! I hope you find it again.

But I know fascia has recently proven to be able to contract and relax like smooth musclefibers. I think this is Robert Schleips research.

Here Robert Schleips say something about fascia being our "richest sensory organ".

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Osteopaths, especially the European variety are all pretty involved with fascia and anatomical connections. Rolfers, too, from what I know, base their system on myofascial bands and how they influence posture.

There's an interesting book called "Anatomy Trains" that appears to go into quite a bit of depth on the issue.

I haven't devoted study to any of this yet, but it's on my long term agenda. If you end up doing some research on the subject, please don't hesitate to post any impressions.

Osteopaths, especially the European variety are all pretty involved with fascia and anatomical connections. Rolfers, too, from what I know, base their system on myofascial bands and how they influence posture.

There's an interesting book called "Anatomy Trains" that appears to go into quite a bit of depth on the issue.

I haven't devoted study to any of this yet, but it's on my long term agenda. If you end up doing some research on the subject, please don't hesitate to post any impressions.

I have spent the last year or so studying the Anatomy Trains. Its a great book packed with information! I work now at a clinic where we give treatments based mainly on the AT-lines and Structural Integration. I also have a couple of articles in the article section here about AT and Zhan Zhuang, if you are interested to look them up.

Structural Integration is a great way to skip ahead many years of difficult Zhan Zhuang training ;)

Structural Integration is a great way to skip ahead many years of difficult Zhan Zhuang training ;)

You have piqued my interest. Would you please elaborate on structural integration (what is it, how is it done)?

You have piqued my interest. Would you please elaborate on structural integration (what is it, how is it done)?

Its a way to work with the myo-fascial bodybag that takes our bodies from scattered dysfunction to harmonic bodyconsiousness. It works in perfect synergy with Zhan Zhuang in many ways. I have written two article for TTB, and have more coming once inspiration hits me.

figure-1.jpg

Here is a short clip on how it is looks like:

Rolfing has a rumor that it is painful. But with the new research on how fascia "melts" with slow movement, it does no longer need to be painful. SPEED IS THE ENEMY! This clip is from the Kinesis Myofascial Integration, which is Tom Meyers(the genious behind Anatomy Trains) way of doing it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Those who are interested in Anatomy Trains, especially if you use it in a clinic, will be interested in Muscle Energy.

Absolutely! It has already become a natural part of any massage therapy education just like Anatomy Trains soon will be.

Edited by sheng zhen

Rolfing has a rumor that it is painful. But with the new research on how fascia "melts" with slow movement, it does no longer need to be painful. SPEED IS THE ENEMY! This clip is from the Kinesis Myofascial Integration, which is Tom Meyers(the genious behind Anatomy Trains) way of doing it.
VERY interesting. B)

That could be one reason why CIMA & qigong are all done verryy sloowwllyy...in order to reprogram the fascia and restructure the body. You're essentially melting away tension and re-teaching your body proper alignment and movement. Which is not going to happen if you are moving fast (which only reinforces old, existing patterns).

Thanks for the clarification sheng zhen.

I was confused because the phrase Structrual Integration implies to me something that a person does to their own body, rather than a bodyworker helping you to integrate your structure.

Is there a list of practitioners to browse somewhere?

VERY interesting. B)

That could be one reason why CIMA & qigong are all done verryy sloowwllyy...in order to reprogram the fascia and restructure the body. You're essentially melting away tension and re-teaching your body proper alignment and movement. Which is not going to happen if you are moving fast (which only reinforces old, existing patterns).

Vortex, I forgot to answer this one. And then I was reminded when you referred to it in another thread.

What I meant with "movement" was what the slow movement a massagetherapist does with his hands in the clients fascia. That melts fascia for sure.

I am not 100% sure if the slow movement we do in qigong melts fascia. But I agree with the theory. It would at least happen through different mechanisms. Maybe through increased bloodflow and strengthened propriosensoric nerve activity?

Anyways, the fascial release will happen a lot faster if done by a massagetherapist.

Thanks for the clarification sheng zhen.

I was confused because the phrase Structrual Integration implies to me something that a person does to their own body, rather than a bodyworker helping you to integrate your structure.

Is there a list of practitioners to browse somewhere?

I dont know. There are many variations of Structural Integration. Search for Rolfing, KMI or just Structural Integration in your area.

At the www.anatomytrains.com I think the have a list of practitioners.