markern

Dream yoga/sleep time etc.

I read varjahdiya saying that his teacher entered the jhanas when doing dream yoga and I have recently read that one can stay "awake"/aware not only during dreams but also dreamless sleep. Does meditating during sleep give the same benefits as during waking hours? Say that I have already mastered the first jhana awake could I then master the rest only through sleep practice and be able to enter them when awake? If so then that would be amazing because I could add about 7 hours of daily practice.

Is it also possible, and if so not unhealthy, to do other stuff when awake in dreamless sleep, like say thinking through what my lecturer said in class that day and repeat french verbs or stuff like that. If so mylearning abilities would undergo a revolution. Just for fun I would then "write" an essay in my head and then write it down the next day. When awake I have sometimes more or less done that with speeches and op-ed pieces and it would be hilarious to have "written" essays in their entirety during sleep just as an experiment.

I have noticed that practioners like Santiago and JA MU only sleep about three hours a day and I have seen others here that have cut sleep time by many hours because of cultivation. Is this safe and healthy? Is it like you just don`t sleep anymore if you practice this much or is it like you actually kinda feel like sleeping but if you do some extra rounds of qigong or spend half an hour in Damos Cave you can still manage well?

I plan on doing KAP at some point in the future. What normaly happens to sleep time when you practice KAP over several years?

What you describe is the way to use dreams. It just takes practice.

I would say that if you have mastered something in your waking life, but not in the dreams, then you have not really mastered it. Whatever you realize in waking life should be mirrored in dreams aswell. T.ex. if you have resolved an issue with your parents in waking life(through therapy or wathever), but still have dreams of anger towards them, then you havent really resolved the issue (just a very simple example).

But regarding the last paragraph, it would be unhealth to have 3 hours of sleep only if you start doing it prematurely. But when it comes as a natural result from your practice, then it is of cource safe ;)

I read varjahdiya saying that his teacher entered the jhanas when doing dream yoga and I have recently read that one can stay "awake"/aware not only during dreams but also dreamless sleep. Does meditating during sleep give the same benefits as during waking hours? Say that I have already mastered the first jhana awake could I then master the rest only through sleep practice and be able to enter them when awake? If so then that would be amazing because I could add about 7 hours of daily practice.

Doing practice during your sleep state is actually considered hundreds of times more potent because your dealing directly with the subconscious and unconscious mind and consciously illuminating these levels of deep mental caverns. Like subconscious spelunking. :o