Sign in to follow this  
mantis

Natural OCD treatment?

OK. I just realized I should add a little more to this topic, here is some background.

I have always been obsessive about things, my whole life. I can remember when I was just a kid and I was completely crazy about pokemon cards - just like every kid was. God forbid a single one of my cards had a deformity, whether it was scratched, bent, had dirt on it, etc. To me it was completely unacceptable - it always had to be in mint condition. I never saw this as odd but now looking back I can see it clearly. Food is something else i'm extremely obsessive about - I don't even like when I have two different kinds of food and they mix (ex. beans + rice, I'd have them both in separate bowls.) and I inspect all the food I eat to the T. This followed me into middle school with girls and probably explains why I haven't had much success in that department despite having an above average appearance (from what i've been told). I'd always over-analyze girls, look for any little error they might have and I could never just look and appreciate somebody, which I have gotten over now as I am a little older.

This is what to an extent led to my discovery of meditation and what not, my obsession with the paranormal. I've always thought that I had a "nack" for this kind of stuff and would watch tons of paranormal shows on TV and whatnot only to be creeped out later - to the point where everything I see in the corner of my eye is strange. In high school I met a girl who wanted to bang me so I came home and looked up methods on how to last longer in which I found Mantak Chia. This led me to dragging my obsessions, which where before a nuisance but where manageable to the sexual realm - where I was driving myself crazy trying to not jerk off or ejaculate etc. Which has ultimately led me to become sexually obsessive in general.

How would this problem be approached from the TCM point of view?

Don`t know about TCm altough I would suspect the splenn is highly involved and overall balance is very important. All sorts of 5 element balancing practices should be good.

However, the best OCD treatment IMO is mindfulness. It is the key to not getting sucked in and hijacked by your own thoughts. There has actually been some very promising studies done on mindfulness and OCD as far as I remember. Check out shinzen youngs stuff.

Grounding! The more grounded I become the less thoughts I have in general and the less I get stuck in my head.

I have also noticed that the better aligned my body is the smoother all sorts of emotional processes are and the less emotionally "clogged" I get. Stuff flows through me like it is supposed to and my emotions are a lot more balanced because of it. This is quite long term work thought because working on bodystructure takes time. Rolf Myers anatomy trains treatment for getting the fascia aligned I think is great for getting aligned. I have done 8 out of 12 sessions that are meant to get you fairly aligned and it has really worked well. After that I am going to get 12 sessions of cranio sacral therapy which is a treatment in the same traditions but that works on the spine, sacrum and cranium in stead of the whole body. This treatment is supposed to do a lot not only to balance you physically but to balance your chakras and especialy your fight or flight response, it gets you very relaxed but also in a mode were you are ready to act, it also disolves trauma. I know Santi and Tao has had this treatment and recommends it to others.

Centering in the dan tien. The more centered I am, the less I obsess about thoughts and the more I just act intuitively.

There are also cognitive therapy approaches that you can do by yourself or with a therapist but I am certain mindfulness based cognitive therapy and acceptance and commitment based therapy which are both mindfulness therapies are much better for OCD especially for someone who actually cultivates.

To some up I would look at whether my practice is aimed mostly at balance as opposed to depth and strong energy etc. and then reorganize it to focus strongly on balance in all ways especialy stuff that realy works the 5 element balance. Healing sounds, fusion, five animals etc. If you work on healing sounds etc. focus on the quality of openess (towards new expereince, new tastes etc.) in the spleen (opnes is a virtue of the spleen. I would focus on mindfulness meditation (shamatha, Zazen etc.) and mindfulness in daily life. I would root more and focus more on being in and acting from the dan tien rather than building its power. I would work on physical alignment and I would look at my life in general and try to start making life choices that are more conducive towards balance. I would also see a TCM practioner and possibly get some herbs and acupuncture. Oh, and smile towards the obsessive thoughts.

I am a bit obsessive myself actually and I have gotten a lot more balanced and less obsessive int he last couple of years. However, as you can see in this thread I still struggle with it in certain areas:

http://www.thetaobums.com/Practice-tips-re...gue-t11680.html

Edited by markern

I wrote this in another thread and it seems relevant to your obsessiveness with sexual stuff as it helps in getting a less forceful approach to multiples and all that:

THe aneros seems to bring people a lot of very good multiples without any sort of strain or over doing (probably since it is only by relaxing that the aneros works). Apparently many people find that after having a lot of dry aneros multiples they just naturaly got the ability to have them during normal intercourse without doing anything with the pc muscles or orbit etc. just ether not doing anything or just doing it with the mind. Maybe using the aneros might help you tune in to the "right" way to have multiples. My theory is that a lot of people when they are having mutliples are having to yang style orgasms with too much tension and heat and restesness. That means the energy they retain is of a different quaity and I think that it is much harder to integrate well. If everything hapens in a relaxed and mindfull way with almost no effort to retain or stop anything but more of an expansion upwards, then the quality of energy is much better and few problems occur. The aneros seems to help a lot in getting you to that place. So to does a lot of practice of very slow very deep belly breathing. This is just me theory though and not something I have proper experience with.

Also I have written more about it in this thread:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showto...&hl=teacher

Aslo for success with women check out charismaarts.com and Troy Dizzon dating. They are both natural and "nice" styles of pickup taht will get you lots of chicks, make you much more sociable and confident and do so in a way that is not sinister or mechanical. Don`t make it a new obsession though.

Sign in to follow this