Mal

Water Distillers

I need about 3L or more a day. Rainwater tanks are a touch out of the price range and we have some industrial plants around here puting out some airborne particles that may or may not be real tasty :(

I need about 3L or more a day. Rainwater tanks are a touch out of the price range and we have some industrial plants around here puting out some airborne particles that may or may not be real tasty :(

Make 3 or more of these:

desert survival still - makes about 1 liter (qt) per day

http://www.desertusa.com/mag98/dec/stories/water.html

The reason for waiting 30 min. is so that the rain has a chance to clear the pollutants out of the air.

One other - I've been drinking nothing but distilled water for about 5 years now -

You will need a source of minerals - I use root vegetables & potatoes with GNC vitamins.

If you want a kick of additional Oxygen - get an aquarium air pump and bubble air through the water & chill it.

The O2 will disolve in the water.

In my opinion - city water in most places isn't drinkable. Particularly in places with rusty pipes.

As an Australian resident, I use this brand:

http://www.raindance.com.au/

Plus a carbon-type of cartdrige 0.5 micron which will remove all chlorine, chlorinated hydrocarbons metals, dissolved inorganic and organic impurities including volatile organic compounds such as pesticides as well as cryptosporidium and giardia.

It treats in excess that quantity of daily water you are after.

As an Australian resident, I use this brand:

http://www.raindance.com.au/

Plus a carbon-type of cartdrige 0.5 micron which will remove all chlorine, chlorinated hydrocarbons metals, dissolved inorganic and organic impurities including volatile organic compounds such as pesticides as well as cryptosporidium and giardia.

It treats in excess that quantity of daily water you are after.

Read the web page.

It is a "Water Filtration" unit. Filters take out particles. Chlorine is a gas - not a particle. Of course you could react the chlorine with sodium to make NaCl (table salt...) but then you would be at risk of getting the amounts wrong and make soap out of your body and the sodium.

Filtered water is absolutely not distilled water.

Neither is ion exchange distilled water.

hV99eXdMMC8

I gotta try that distiller someday, I tried the cylindrical one with the fan as a cover but it's too energy consuming and it started to rust and became difficult to use until I broke it and tore the outer rim like paper and dismantled the fan. :)

my older brother invented a better system to make a solar distiller as a main supply for all the usages in the house. he used solar powered pumps and a heating basin with window A/C coils lined to an ejector to collect the steam to a condensing chamber.

I just bought a manual Pur system that I plan to use for making coffee and tea. The system was less than $20 and the filter is supposed to last a month of normal use (whatever that is).

Haven't used it yet as I have not run out of the spring water I had been buying for that purpose.

Happy Trails!

I don't know about distillers, but for filtration units, the one that interested me the most was Berkey. The travel version is $220. It's about 19 inches tall, stores 1.5 gallons, and filters over a gallon every hour. Doesn't require electricity or anything. They usually come with a free accessory, which you can choose to be the flouride/arsenic filter.

Yes. After I made my post I realized that you were talking about distillation and not filtration.

If you intend using it in a fixed location the old heating water to steam and capturing the steam is the least expensive way to go. Propane could be used for the heat source.

Happy Trails!

It is not a hypothesis that distillation methods leave the water without essential minerals.

The Journal of General Internal Medicine (1) published a study on the mineral contents of different waters available in the US. The study concluded:

Drinking water sources available to North Americans may contain high levels of Ca2+, Mg2+, and Na+ and may provide clinically important portions of the recommended dietary intake of these minerals. Physicians should encourage patients to check the mineral content of their drinking water, whether tap or bottled, and choose water most appropriate for their needs. Since distilled water is devoid of minerals, supplemental mineral intake through diet or dietary supplements are needed to maintain proper health.

1. Reference: Azoulay, Arik; Garzon, Philippe; Eisenberg, Mark (2001), "Comparison of the Mineral Content of Tap Water and Bottled Waters", Journal of General Internal Medicine 16 (3): 168-175.

Since distilled water is devoid of minerals, supplemental mineral intake through diet or dietary supplements are needed to maintain proper health.[/i]

Yes it's just H20 no need to worry about it leaching minerals out of your body, just make sure you have a good diet and/or

get my essential minerals through vitamins.

You can get average filters and exceptionally good filter but I'm just starting to feel it may be easiest to just get pure water.

BTW I use only distilled water when servicing the lead-acid batteries of my solar electric system. But I don't use that much so I just buy the bottled stuff.

Happy Trails!

My parents put in fluoride drops when I was a kid, in there defence I have no cavities.

were these drops a single shot treatment applied to the teeth as an external measure?

or were they added to your water as a supplement?

A good filtration system cleans the water well. I am not worried about processing the water to the point it becomes distilled. The teas I drink and chi will manage the rest of the water impurities.

I would worry more about the quality of the air we breathe and stress about life itself. ;)

Edited by durkhrod chogori

or were they added to your water as a supplement?

They use to put them in my afternoon Ribena drink. Once I was old enough I would add them myself. I was the only person in my school along with my friend (who's parents were hard core hippies, had a good diet) who didn't have cavities in our teeth.

I would worry more about the quality of the air we breathe.

Hard to change that one better not to even worry :D

Filtration / distillation / bottle water / tap water is an open ended debate whith good arguments on all sides. It really just comes down to personal preference.

At least in this country were you and I live have the luck to enjoy good air. :)

Not arguing about the water thing. Each to their own.

When the wind blows wrong way from the mainland into Hong Kong - it gets a bit dusty as well as tastes strange.

I use an aquarium pump into an old 6L water bottle - it cleans the air & if you use weather strips to seal the doors & windows - it does a really good job of it.

In Hong Kong the gov't did a study of bottled drinking waters & found that only the distilled water was not tap water.

To purge your body of metals - pickeled beets work. If you've done it right - you will feel a bit depressed. Root vegies usually have good minerals if you don't like vitamins.

Women loose minerals in their monthly but men retain them - I've read where Iron pipes is a leading cause of prostrate cancer... I did a small study on it to see when women got prostrate cancer - it was almost 100% after their monthly stopped.

Prostate-not prostRate.

Also, women dont have prostates. The female equivalent is the skene's glands. Thats interesting though, about women getting cancer post menopause. I think thats probably more related to hormonal changes than minerals, but who knows.

just a thought.

I researched this pretty intensely and have been very happy with what I decided to use.

I recommend the Tersano Lotus Water Treatment system. It is based on the same ozonation technology used by municipal water treatment centers. You put the carafe with tap water on the base, it ozonates for 6 minutes and then is run through a hefty carbon filter. The water comes out very clean and it takes out chemicals, heavy metals and kills parasites. I love it.

The water is not distilled so it is not as inert and lifeless as true distilled water seems, but it gets very clean and tastes pure. What very purified water of any kind then lacks is minerals and while some may say distilled water is not an issue, I beg to differ. Drinking distilled water in small quantities occasionally won't hurt you, but I would strongly discourage you from drinking it on a regular basis. The body does have a different response to denatured water. I have a high quality distiller I use for very specific purposes requiring water solutions with zero impurities, but I see no reason for most people to have one.

I discovered a product called ConcenTrace which is easy to find online. I add 5 drops of this natural mineral solution (from the Great Salt Lakes) to each carafe produced by my Lotus Water Treatment system. I then add one or two drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract which is a well-established natural anti-microbial agent. This mineralizes the water and gives it a perfect water flavor. You basically have water that you'd pay through the nose for with some chic bottled mineral waters. It is delicious and refreshing and you get a nice method for getting your mineral supplementation in a ratio that is close to what you'd get if you lived in a pristine natural environment with an uncompromised water supply. The Grapefruit Seed Extract allows you to keep the water at room temperature without bacterial growth far longer than you would normally and the modest amount is also a good intestinal aid (just don't overdue the extract, because it can burn in its concentrated form. For instance, you can put one drop on your toothbrush, no more, and you'll have no plaque growth in your month for almost a day.)

I just looked up the Lotus system on Amazon where I bought 3 of them and discovered the company Tersano just changed their business model from retail sales to a sales agent network this past week. So it looks like this great product will still be around, but if you want to get one of the retail ones left out there you better act fast. This is what I got via Google's shopping search:

http://www.google.com/products?q=tersano+l...&price2=150

I'd buy some extra filter cartridges too. You'll need a few a year if you use it every day.

Cheers,

Mud Lotus