Sign in to follow this  
Mal

Mozzie coils

Is is a healthy idea to be exercising near a burning mosquito coil?

Better/safer than rubbing insect repellent in you skin.

Or should you just let them bite you and hope they are not carrying a disease :D

I have similar worries about just the smoke from incense but coils are definitely putting out poisons.

I have a feeling both incense and coils will give you cancer in the long run (but these days, what doesn't?)

If you use deodorant or cologne, try not using them and see if your natural odor repels them. Works for me.

Is is a healthy idea to be exercising near a burning mosquito coil?

Better/safer than rubbing insect repellent in you skin.

Or should you just let them bite you and hope they are not carrying a disease :D

I have similar worries about just the smoke from incense but coils are definitely putting out poisons.

I don't think it's very advisable Mal, I used to sleep with some of those on the go, usually would wake in the morning with a stinking headache. I have no idea what's in them but my body doesn't like them one bit. I'd try exercising with a fan facing you or the air-con if that's at all possible. The cold air and breeze really messes with them, air-con particularly.

I don't think it's very advisable Mal, I used to sleep with some of those on the go, usually would wake in the morning with a stinking headache. I have no idea what's in them but my body doesn't like them one bit. I'd try exercising with a fan facing you or the air-con if that's at all possible. The cold air and breeze really messes with them, air-con particularly.

yes I had bad reactions from synthetic repellents, I tried a citronella spray and it was bearable. Someone on youtube said carrot oil, never tried that. This is why I avoid the outdoors for meditation unless it's high noon when mosquitoes are absent or less active.

lkiA_y40flo

Same experience with feeling a little sick from the coils as I've used them on the road. Also, I swear Shanghai mosquitos are immune. It might even attract them. I think exercising right in the way of a fan or AC would have its own ill effects, though.

I've had good luck doing martial arts in an open garage in an area with lots of mosquitos by burning Tibetan incense like Tara Healing Incense. One stick burning not too far from me seems to be enough. But I have a sense that the sweat I work up keeps em at bay, too, as they will bother me in the park when I stretch but not after I get into the workout.

Kung Fu is not too bad as I'm moving around and have no long forms where I can't stop to squash mozzies :D But chi gungs when starionart and especially Tai Chi are a problem.

I have also gotten headaches form the coils

I use to burn sandalwood incense, think it helped but have not tried for a while. My Mum has a citronella plant. I need to get something more natural.

There are a heap of mozzies at the moment and I read once IIRC that DEET stays in your skin for 30 days. Not good, but these ones are attacking in swarms and there has been Dengue fever in that suburb

Thanks for the links everyone.

You might try this DEET-free stuff: Natrapel Plus w/Geraniol

BTW, a few users complain that the smell is too strong or it stings, but I've never been bothered by any of those. It's never stung me, and it has a flowery plant smell, so I don't find it a bad one...

picaradin or picaridin... isn't as good as deet but has a much nicer feel to it. I prefer it to citronella oil myself. Of course, Mak Tin Si has a mosquito control FU but it's too expensive for me to check out. :lol:

Guest C Yu C He Taiji

A few weeks ago I noticed that when I sit in meditation outside in the garden and a mosquito bites me and I totally accept it the sensation changes and it does not itch afterward and leaves no sign or marrk of any kind. But I do not know whether this alsoavoids infections.

Chris

Sign in to follow this