Sign in to follow this  
Capital

What is 'me'?

This is probably a question that has circulated multiple times; still, it is bothering me, and I am unsure how to approach it.

What in 'me' is me? :o

I am not my body, I feel, nor my mind; this I firmly believe: yet they are my means of perceiving the world around me (I believe mind and body are the same thing, but that's something of a tangent..). My identical twin brother is among the many that surround me that swear that we are nothing but a mind and body and that 'I' am but a complicated mixture of hormones, chemicals, and electronic signals.

I've taken anatomy classes and psychology classes, and I thought I felt that way for years.

Yet, I can't help but hold firmly in a belief in something that is 'me' that is neither flesh nor synapse. I have a mental formulation that is the word 'soul', and it is what I usually think about when thinking about 'me'. To be honest, I do not know my soul, and I can't help but fear that reaching for the 'soul' that I made in my thoughts is not the same as reaching for the soul that makes up my 'essence'.

I guess my real question is, how do I feel for my 'soul' or whatever it is when I have no idea how to feel for it, and what I assume I am going to 'feel' it through likes to think its the soul (i.e. my mind/body)?

Through deep meditation after thousands of hours (or less depending on your karmic evolution) you'll be able to reach the spirit.

Edited: typo.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Before - long before - I ever heard of meditation it used to kill me that I was stuck in my head, as 'me'. so painful. so tedious, to have to see everything thru the filter of a personality. eeeeeeeek. the narrowness of just being a personality. it made me feel claustrophobic and ineffably bored at the prospect of a lifetime's alliance with this one voice.

funny, eh.

:)

Now I dont feel stuck at all. My personality seems much less present. I dont notice it so much. Thankfully.

Through deep meditation after thousands of hours (or less depending on your karmic evolution) you'll be able to reach the spirit.

Good, a true sign that you are in the correct path. However this is also the stage when the dangers are on the increase as well.

Good, a true sign that you are in the correct path. However this is also the stage when the dangers are on the increase as well.

oh oh.

good job I'm not a paranoid type.

*looks over shoulder*

*adjusts bullet proof vest*

I guess my real question is, how do I feel for my 'soul' or whatever it is when I have no idea how to feel for it, and what I assume I am going to 'feel' it through likes to think its the soul (i.e. my mind/body)?

It's a process of removal, removal of the 'I', it is 'I' that blocks the experience of the soul/essence.

And that above is pretty much the answer.

Keep it simple. Don't think too much. It's the thinking that creates the problems.

What in 'me' is me? :o

Why use the word "in"?

Why assume that "me" is contained within "my" bag of skin (to borrow Alan Watts' wonderful imagery)?

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/200...ity-by-ken.html

Excerpt from The Simple Feeling of Being

From Chapter 1: The Witness

Great passage.

But to the OP you can easily find books about this subject by people much more liable to answer to the question than I am..but to sum it up in a few words it seems to be that you are consciousness..that has no time or limitations.

I do seem to find advaita vedanta really nails this point better than any other philosophy..

Edited: typo.

Or in an instant!

;)

Why use the word "in"?

Why assume that "me" is contained within "my" bag of skin (to borrow Alan Watts' wonderful imagery)?

More that I should meditate on. Thanks!

That's a really good question...

Another I'd like to ask is 'What is not me?'

Sign in to follow this