Sign in to follow this  
Vajrahridaya

Quote about 6 limitations

"Six realms of existence are identified in Buddhism: gods, demigods, humans, animals, hungry ghosts, and hells. They are each the result of one of the six main negative emotions: pride, jealousy, desire, ignorance, greed, and anger.

Looking at the world around us, and into our own minds, we can see that the six realms definitely do exist. They exist in the way we unconsciously allow our negative emotions to project and crystallize entire realms around us, and to define the style, form, flavor, and context of our life in those realms. And they exist also inwardly as the different seeds and tendencies of the various negative emotions within our psychophysical system, always ready to germinate and grow, depending on what influences them and how we choose to live."

From Rigpa, Glimpse of the Day by Sogyal Rinpoche.

Email List

"Six realms of existence are identified in Buddhism: ...

That is the biggest thing that turned me off from Buddhism - the mythological stuff. I just can't handle that. I had my fill of mythology in Christianity and Greek mythology. It was time for me to get real.

The Buddha's teaching itself is valid though, IMO.

Happy Trails!

Actually, I want to add this just so I don't cause my friend V. any negative feelings: That is why I rejected the Taoist Religion as well.

Peace!

Edited by Marblehead

:D thats my problem with all organised religions, They move away from allowing you to think and experiment for yourself towards rout learning of 6,324,567,439 classifications of objects and experiences :lol:

Buddhism, having been around for a long time and being very scientific in it's approach, has a LOT of classifications.

Lets look at the difference in these 2 Merriam-Webster definitions or jargon

- the technical terminology or characteristic idiom of a special activity or group

- obscure and often pretentious language marked by circumlocutions and long words

So while these classifications are useful for the people IN the group they also serve to exclude those outside the group to whom the jargon is just another barrier to understanding.

Removed the response with too high probability of looking like a jackass unintentionally... sorry :)

Edited by atena

:D thats my problem with all organised religions, They move away from allowing you to think and experiment for yourself towards rout learning of 6,324,567,439 classifications of objects and experiences :lol:

Same here. Religion stifles one's creativity. When you become part of religion you no longer feel that you have the authority to try something new, or to open yourself to a new vision of things, because you feel like you have to follow what was given to you. Even head masters of various religions feel heavy burden of tradition pressing down on them.

I think tradition should be used to inform, but not to constrain our lives. Tradition should be a source of wisdom, but not a source of limitations.

The way most, especially religious, people relate to tradition it does become a constraint.

When you're a member of religion your inner authority becomes completely projected outward, and that's a bad way to live life.

I don't see that quote as mystical or belonging solely to Buddhist thought.

It explains the reality our perception creates as we delve deeper and deeper into each one.

These "realms" are just as real in this world as the next. You can really see it everyday in various people. There's absolutely nothing mystical about it.

I don't see that quote as mystical or belonging solely to Buddhist thought.

It explains the reality our perception creates as we delve deeper and deeper into each one.

These "realms" are just as real in this world as the next. You can really see it everyday in various people. There's absolutely nothing mystical about it.

Exactly, that was the point of the quote, is that all these realms exist right here, right now in different ways for different people. Big time CEO's are Gods and the VP's are Demigods and on down the line... you know? Hell beings are crack dealers and hungry ghosts are the robbers who try to fund their crack cravings. Anyway...

I think tradition should be used to inform, but not to constrain our lives. Tradition should be a source of wisdom, but not a source of limitations.

The so-called limitations are there in order to help us avoid falling into the 3 evil destinies of animal, hungry ghost or hell dweller.

The Buddha dharma, far from constraining our lives, helps us to awaken wisdom and develop compassion for all beings. This can make our life and the lives of those around us richer.

The teachings Buddha, - compassion, sincerity, virtue etc are not something external to us, but are a reflection of our original inherent nature.

Edited by mat black

The Buddha dharma, far from constraining our lives, helps us to awaken wisdom and develop compassion for all beings. This can make our life and the lives of those around us richer.

You are a living example of that Mat _/\_

I just wanted to do this. I mean no offence.

"There are six main negative emotions: pride, jealousy, desire, ignorance, greed, and anger. Looking at the world around us, and into our own minds, we can see that these six emotions are real. They exist in the way we unconsciously allow them to project and crystallize the environment around us, and to define the style, form, flavor, and context of our life. And, if we allow them to exist they are always ready to germinate and grow, depending on what influences them and how we choose to live."

Happy Trails!

Edited by Marblehead

I just wanted to do this. I mean no offence.

"There are six main negative emotions: pride, jealousy, desire, ignorance, greed, and anger. Looking at the world around us, and into our own minds, we can see that these six emotions are real. They exist in the way we unconsciously allow them to project and crystallize the environment around us, and to define the style, form, flavor, and context of our life. And, if we allow them to exist they are always ready to germinate and grow, depending on what influences them and how we choose to live."

Happy Trails!

LOL! Indeed, I was actually going to do that, to edit for the group, but... I decided to leave it just in case it is important to have the first bit for certain people. ;)

LOL! Indeed, I was actually going to do that, to edit for the group, but... I decided to leave it just in case it is important to have the first bit for certain people. ;)

I agree that for some people the original would be more significant. There are a lot of people who depend on religion in their life. And I really do try to not discredit anyone's religion. That is not true, however, regarding the institutions of religion.

Happy Trails!

Sign in to follow this