SeriesOfTubes

seeing into the present.

this is probably an odd question. but it has been bothering me lately. actually on and off for over a decade since reading patanjali's yoga sutras.

isn't every perceptual experience we have time-lagged away from the the present moment at least to some degree?

every sensation, sound, feeling, thought, memory, dream, vision, 3rd eye light in the head, heart opening, kundalini stirring, or awareness itself has to take the time to fire neurons and travel our nervous system before it can processed into an experience and perceived, no? even if that time lag is best case scenario only .000000001 of a nanosecond

so can the present truly be experienced in an absolute sense if it ceases to be the present by the time it becomes awareness?

sure the present probably exists, and we can be doing things in it. but in the sense a unit of perception experienced via a human body, aren't we always looking into the past, whether its at a distant star that no longer exists, watching our breath, or psychically experiencing something that is ever so slightly offset due to the mechanism of our own neurology?

you can be looking at a unit of perception in the present, but isn't the unit of perception to at least some degree offset from the actual present?

Edited by SeriesOfTubes

When you see through the conditioning of the senses and see beyond being conditioned by your history, you will then see the now as it is, beyond the senses.

Does it matter?

not if one's basic needs aren't being met. but it does to me

Who is watching? :)

good question. I guess I am in this case

When you see through the conditioning of the senses and see beyond being conditioned by your history, you will then see the now as it is, beyond the senses.

I'd like to believe that but it seems just being alive and having a mortal frame at all would cast an inherent bias or limitation on perception of reality. I can imagine how it could be much much clearer but not 100% exactly how things are imho

this is probably an odd question. but it has been bothering me lately. actually on and off for over a decade since reading patanjali's yoga sutras.

isn't every perceptual experience we have time-lagged away from the the present moment at least to some degree?

every sensation, sound, feeling, thought, memory, dream, vision, 3rd eye light in the head, heart opening, kundalini stirring, or awareness itself has to take the time to fire neurons and travel our nervous system before it can processed into an experience and perceived, no? even if that time lag is best case scenario only .000000001 of a nanosecond

so can the present truly be experienced in an absolute sense if it ceases to be the present by the time it becomes awareness?

sure the present probably exists, and we can be doing things in it. but in the sense a unit of perception experienced via a human body, aren't we always looking into the past, whether its at a distant star that no longer exists, watching our breath, or psychically experiencing something that is ever so slightly offset due to the mechanism of our own neurology?

you can be looking at a unit of perception in the present, but isn't the unit of perception to at least some degree offset from the actual present?

I don't think it really matters. What I do think really matters is if your experience of the world is continuous or not.

For example while writing my mind also went to Castaneda books, and wanted to add:

"P.S. don't give too much importance to Castaneda books. They were just novels. :)".

So I was not present at your question, and my experience of the world was not continuous.

Yes!

Through living in society we have established many filters that need to be removed before we can stop the world and see NOW. I believe when we were born we didn't have these filters but quickly established them as we were "taught" what others perceived as reality.

Hi V.,

In Taoist philosophy that is called being in the state of 'wu'.

Happy Trails!

There is only the present. Experiencing the past happens in the present. Perception and understanding is slow...but it's possible to experience things in the present moment. And it's not hard to do...in fact everyone does it. If you didn't, you'd have no past to reflect upon.

There is experience, but ungraspable, and no graspable present. Appearing vividly like mirage, like bubbles on the lake.

The mind of the past is ungraspable; the mind of the future is ungraspable; the mind of the present is ungraspable. - Diamond Sutra

There is experience, but ungraspable, and no graspable present. Appearing vividly like mirage, like bubbles on the lake.

The mind of the past is ungraspable; the mind of the future is ungraspable; the mind of the present is ungraspable. - Diamond Sutra

There may be sensing and thoughts but no identity, no relationship, so no experience in presense, what so ever.

Edited by Guest

Depends on what you mean by experience.

For me I see it that there are experiences (sights, sounds, smells, taste, touch, thoughts), but no experiencer.

OK, that is what I call sensing, no experiencer to me means no experience.

So we arrive at the same essence, so to speak :)

Edited by Guest