Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Herbs and immunity

What herbs are we taking these days. I take a tiny 'sandwich' of candied ginger w/ red genseng between it. But I should probably take something to boost immunity before winter hits full force.

Lozen, you're an herb person, what do you recommend? Anything interesting in stock?

Michael

My accupuncturist has had me on Cordyceps for about a year now and I have only been sick once in that year, even then the symptoms were half of what they would normally be. He swears by cordyceps and says they are the most sort after herb in the world. Try some.

Daniel

Funny, I am writing an article about winter herbs right now. I recommend fire cider, elderberry elixir and get a mix of osha, usnea and olive leaf tincture. And I can sell you all of these or teach you how to make your own. :)

Elderberry elixir is basically for colds and flus, you use it right at the start of a flu. It is basically a very strong elderberry tea mixed with honey. Fire cider will also kill colds and is great for the immune system, I'll just cut and paste my handout on it (I didn't write it, by the way.) And osha, usnea and olive leaf tincture will nip any illness in the bud, it is STRONG. I can write more on it later... For now. here's fire cider info. I add rosemary and sometimes osha to mine as well.

Vinegar Preparations

Vinegar - A vinegar is made by macerating the herbs in vinegar as

the solvent, agitating for 14 days, straining, pressing and bottling

in a dark glass container. It is very useful for children because of

the absence of alcohol.

Dr. Cayenne's Vinegar Preparation (aka Fire Cider)

Ingredients - 1/2 cup each of chopped garlic, onions, ginger,

horseradish and parsley. 1/8 cup fresh or powdered cayenne

pepper (or to taste). Raw apple cider vinegar (make sure it is

unpasteurized, as this is 'live' vingar, and contributes to the healing

properties of the formula.) Use 1 qt. apple cider vinegar.

Procedure - Finely chop the vegetables, pack into jar, fill with

vinegar, agitate daily for 14 days, strain, press, filter and bottle.

Notes:

I Constituents - Actions

A. GARLIC

Garlic is nature's antibiotic. (*note--some people disagree with

that term...this is complicated so i won't get into it.) The properties

of garlic have the ability of stimulating cell growth and activity. It

has a rejuvenative effect on all body functions. It is a health

building and disease preventative herb and dissolves cholesterol

in the bloodstream. Garlic stimulates the lymphatic system to

throw off waste materials. Garlic opens up the blood vessels and

reduces blood pressure. Garlic does not destroy the body's

normal flora.

Garlic contains vitamins A and C. It also contains selenium,

sulphur, calcium, manganese, copper and vitamin B1.

B. GINGER

Ginger is an excellent herb for the respiratory system. It is good

for fighting off colds and flu. It removes congestion, relieves

headaches and aches and pains, and helps clear sore throats. It

is excellent for upset stomach and indigestion. It is very effective

as a cleansing agent through the bowels and kidneys and also

through the skin. Ginger is an excellent herb to combine with other

herbs to enhance their effectiveness.

Ginger contains protein, vitamins A, C and B-complex. It also

contains calcium, phosphorus, iron, sodium, potassium and

magnesium.

C. HORSERADISH

Horseradish has an antibiotic action which is recommended for

respiratory and urinary infections. It is a strong stimulant for the

system and has been used internally to clear the nasal passages

and cleanse the system of infection. It has been used as a

stimulant for digestion, metabolism and kidney function.

It is rich in vitamins C, B1, sulphur, and potassium. It also

contains vitamins A< P, B-complex, some calcium, phosphorus,

iron and sodium.

D. ONION

Onion contains smaller doses of garlic's antibacterial and

antifungal components. A paste of onions is said to prevent

infection in wounds and burns. Other extracts are said to inhibit

blod-clotting and seem to reduce cholesterol levels in people who

eat high-fat diets.

E. PARSLEY

Parsley should be used as a preventative herb. It is so nutritious

that it increases resistance to infectionsand diseases. The roots

or leaves are very good for all liver and spleen problems when

jaundice and venereal disease are present.

Fresh juice has helped in conjunctivitis and blepharitis, an

inflammation of the eyelid. It has a tonic effect on the entire

urinary system. It has been used as a cancer preventative.

Parsley is high in vitamin B and potassium. It is said to contain a

substance in which cancerous cells cannot multiply. It is rich in

iron, chlorophyll, and vitamins A+C. Parsley increases iron content

in the blood. It contains some sodium, copper, thiamine and

riboflavin. It also contains some silicon, sulphur, calcium and

cobalt.

II. DOSAGE

Use it anytime you feel a cold coming on, anytime you want a

general tonic, or any time you get a taste for a wonderful salad

dressing.

As a medicine, I suggest 1-3 teaspoons three times a day or as

necessary.

The raw vinegar contributes to the healing properties of the

formula.

HI Lozen

I'd like to order the Elderberry/honey elixir, the immune/osha potion and the red root extraction. I live in Chicago, please PM me how much the price will be including shipping and where to send the check.

This seems to be a nice mixture of immunity and detox.

Thanks

Michael

Lozen, could you recommend something that I could rub on sore and/or torn/sprained/bruised muscles? I think I tore my pec muscle while rolling and it's taking forever to heal. And also my knees are annoying me today as I'm back to my 3 mile a day run antics. I'm not really looking for something hot. I have the other stuff you sent me and also tiger balm. Something more to promote healing. And whatever you recommend, I would like to purchase. Thanks.

Lozen, could you recommend something that I could rub on sore and/or torn/sprained/bruised muscles? I think I tore my pec muscle while rolling and it's taking forever to heal. And also my knees are annoying me today as I'm back to my 3 mile a day run antics. I'm not really looking for something hot. I have the other stuff you sent me and also tiger balm. Something more to promote healing. And whatever you recommend, I would like to purchase. Thanks.

9379[/snapback]

Arnica Montana! In the strongest concentrated gel you could find! :lol:

What herbs are we taking these days.  I take a tiny 'sandwich' of candied ginger w/ red genseng between it.    But I should probably take something to boost immunity before winter hits full force.

Lozen, you're an herb person, what do you recommend?  Anything interesting in stock?

Michael

9302[/snapback]

I drink a warm glass of green tea with fresh ginger chunks and juice from 1/2 an orange or lemon with raw honey (you have to add this after the tea cools a bit to get maximum benefit from it) daily during cold season

Also mineral water with citrus and raw honey is a good tonic. When you have headaches (even migraines) or just overall head congestion or pain it zaps them usually in 5-10 minutes.

just two copper pieces...

Hi Sean,

I wanted to add to the good ideas that have already been posted.. Arnica gel is great, but if it's not helping enough, you might try a combination of homeopathic Ruta and Rhus tox in a 30C or 200C potency, taken orally.

That's great for strains and sprains. Pellets can be put into a glass of water which is sipped a bunch of times throughout the day. Just so you know, this is not the dosing method that classical homeopaths will recommend, but that's a whole 'nother conversation ;-).

If you don't mind spending $300, a SCENAR machine is great for sports injuries.. www.senergymedicalgroup.com . (I got ahold of one of those machines, very nice.) But hopefully the available and cheap remedies will work!

I just have one comment (for now!) about herbs.. heating herbs can be used even where there's a heat condition like inflammation, according to the Law of Similars, which can produce great results when done carefully. Kind of like using snow to help heal frostbite.

Hoping you heal fast,

Karen

There is camphorweedin that hot stuff I gave you Sean, which is aka Mexican arnica and has very similar properties. It has worked just as well if not better in my experience, though there is still debate about this in herbville. But yeah homeopathic arnica is good too. Don't know if I'd recommend it for strains and sprains, but I use it for deep bruising.

My acupuncturist told me that even inflammation is considered a "cold" injury after the first day or two--he said it is only "warm" right away, and is "cold" if it doesn't get better right away. It depends. I like using heating herbs (I consider arnica heating, btw) because blood follows heat. But yeah obviously if the herbs cause pain, stop using them! That's why i don't usu. use SuperSalve--all the camphor in there is too much for me.

Blessings,

Lozen

Green tea is SO good for its antioxidants, and ginger is one of my favorite winter herbs to improve circulation and warm from the inside out. Never heard of citrus/honey/mineral water for headaches. Clematis is a good local herb I use, as well as pressing the heck out of the acupressure points. :)

Sign in to follow this