DanC

Da Liu

I have ordered an out of print book titled "Taoist Health Exercise Book" by Da Liu, does anybody know much about this man, the book looks interesting and contains information on meditative breathing exercises as well as simple Taoist healing exercises and dietry information. All I could ffind is that he was the first man in America to teach Tai Chi.

Daniel

Daniel,

I don't hink he was the first to teach tai chi here. A master Choy was in SF in 1939.

I think that recently he became a Falung Gong practioner. He's quoted on their websites.

Im pretty sure Da Liu passed away in 2000, maybe your thinking of another guy as Da Liu was a devoted Taoist his whole life.

Im pretty sure Da Liu passed away in 2000, maybe your thinking of another guy as Da Liu was a devoted Taoist his whole life.

9293[/snapback]

Da Liu is most definitely "for real". Looking forward to pick up all his book eventually. :)

For the Scandinavian Speaking people there is an extremely interesting article about Mr. Liu in Knut Erik Andersens old newsletter, Tai Chi Nyt, Issue 8.

For those of you that are too lazy to find a translator for the article or don't have the time I'll briefly do a freestyle translation of one of the greater anecdotes from the article.

Da Liu asked at one point wether I would like a cup of tea. I answered that I'd like very much a cup, in case he was also going to have some. I didn't want to send an old man out in the kitchen to make me a cup of tea.

He later came out with the tea in a pot with New York print on and then he had put a minifrisbee on top of the pot in order to keep the heat from leaving. None of those old laquer-bowls with decorations in other words.

"Aren't you going to have some tea?" I asked him.

"I never drink liquid, but I have a bite to eat once in a while" Da Liu answered.

"I can circulate the liquid inside my body, try and listen"

Then I could clearly hear how water came forth up his neck so he had to sink(?) all the time. I had heard about Taoists that could do these feats but I never thought they would exist in real life. I'm myself a heavy eater and have to drink large amounts of liquid in order to separate restproducts from my body and to not dehydrate. I told Da Liu that usually I probably have too much to eat, but he dismissed my worries with with "No No, You're young", something that made me slightly less worried.

This interview was conducted at the humble age of 87. B)

So YES, I belive Da Liu was the "Real Deal".. A true Daoist Hermit the midst in New York, he passed away at 96 years of age in 2000.

I have ordered an out of print book titled "Taoist Health Exercise Book" by Da Liu, does anybody know much about this man, the book looks interesting and contains information on meditative breathing exercises as well as simple Taoist healing exercises and dietry information. All I could ffind is that he was the first man in America to teach Tai Chi.

Daniel

9288[/snapback]

please give us some review once you've read it! Sounds interesting.

Hey Daniel, how was that book. I just picked up T'ai Chi Ch'uan & Meditation almost solely for it's coverage of a diagram I am studying, but I am liking it for the rest of the content as well.

Hey Daniel, how was that book. I just picked up T'ai Chi Ch'uan & Meditation almost solely for it's coverage of a diagram I am studying, but I am liking it for the rest of the content as well.

I work with a guy who studied taichi with him..if anyone has any questions I can pass them on..

T

Taoist Health Exercises book is very very simple, out of his 3 book I own I like this one,

it has a sections on breathing, meditation, massage, seated ba daun jin and herbs, its really

basic but probably has every thing most people need.

Im always searching for something special in books and have just recently came to the

realization that I read too much and dont practice enough, I have purchased upwards of

30 books in the last 2 years and have decided to stop and start practicing more.

I feel I now have all the reference I need and I need to "Just do it", Ive made a commitment

to practice Terry Dunns Basic Seated Meditations for at least a year and master them before progressing

to his higher meditations, my new philosphy is basic and simple is best.

Daniel

I recently started training Yang style with Sifu Herb Cohen, one of Da Liu's students. I am attempting several things: 1. Find information on Da Liu himself 2. trace his lineage and 3. link him to Chang Man Ching (their forms are to silimar to be coincidental.)

What I have found so far is this...

Dal Liu passed away on July 28, 2000 at the age of 96. He began his Tai Chi studies under Sun Lutang (Sun style founder). He later returned to China and studied Yang style under Master Li Li Chou in Hunan Province, who was president of the Shanghai Tai Chi Assoc.

Da Liu taught in NYC in places like the UN, the China Institute, YMCA's, Columbia University's Teachers College, Catherdral School of St. John the Divine and the Riverside Church.

what I have so far on his lineage is theis...

Sun Lutang (sun style)/Master Li Li Chou (yang style) - Da Liu(1904-2000)- Herb Cohen, Ron Caruso, Reggie Jackson, Charles Riley, Joseph Guida

Herb Cohen - Frank (me)

If anyone has anymore info or leads please let me know. Thanks :rolleyes:

Edited by frank

I have his book T'ai Chi Ch'uan and Meditation and find it interesting. It covers a nice range of topics relating to taijiquan and cultivation. I don't know anything about him beyond his books.