Owledge

Dreamt of having a lucid dream

Consciousness can be very tricky. I saw a movie in which somebody explained how to find out that you are dreaming, in order to control the dream. The clues were unreadable details like the time on the clock or non-functional light switches. Also in the movie, the protagonist later talked to a person in his dream about how it is like to be a dream character.

One or two days later, I had a dream. I think it was in a classroom, but unconventional. I talked to the teacher about how my watch is very blurry and unreadable and how this is a clue of being in the dream state, and his clock was blurry, too. But then I tried to switch off the light and it worked ... I think ... not 100% sure. I then woke up and realized I have had a lucid dream. ... But then I woke up :lol: and realized that I had been fooled. Pretty weird, isn't it? Not having a lucid dream, but a dream of lucid dreaming. It took me a few minutes to completely realize what had happened. I analyzed my dream and realized that after the dreamt waking-up I thought: "OK, this time I realized that it was a dream, next time I'll try to really gain total control.", so there was no control, thus not really a lucid dream, just typical uncontrollable acting in a dream.

P.S.: Hm, this topic might belong to the Tao forum. Admin, please move if you read this! :)

Edited by Hardyg
  • Thanks 1

I can relate in a similar way in that I have run across various situations in which other people have told me about what lucid dreaming is and what exactly happens, et cetera, however I don't actually have real lucid dreams per se. My run in with lucid dreaming is roughly the same in experience as yours. Anyways, I just thought its interesting that I'm not the only person who has encountered such experiences in their (well, supposed anyway :D ) sleep.

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2009 at 5:55 AM, Cyril said:

I can relate in a similar way in that I have run across various situations in which other people have told me about what lucid dreaming is and what exactly happens, et cetera, however I don't actually have real lucid dreams per se. My run in with lucid dreaming is roughly the same in experience as yours. Anyways, I just thought its interesting that I'm not the only person who has encountered such experiences in their (well, supposed anyway :D ) sleep.

Wow, I didn't remember having had this. Old thread.

More recently I had a few experiences of calling my dream out as such and waking up soon after declaring that I was in a dream.

In one case there was a recurring annoying dream theme and it upset me so that I was ranting within my dream like "Damn, every time I am dreaming, this crap happens!".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Owledge said:

Wow, I didn't remember having had this. Old thread.

More recently I had a few experiences of calling my dream out as such and waking up soon after declaring that I was in a dream.

In one case there was a recurring annoying dream theme and it upset me so that I was ranting within my dream like "Damn, every time I am dreaming, this crap happens!".

One way to maintain lucidity is to slowly spin round while in the dream, taking in everything you see.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Miffymog said:

One way to maintain lucidity is to slowly spin round while in the dream, taking in everything you see.

I may not even have had lucidity, because it's all basically an autopilot script that incorporates theme-defiance, so to speak. One can declare to be dreaming without having any deliberate control over own actions.

• Like 2

Dreams have always been central to my process of life.

Interesting fact about me is that my first memory in this life is of a lucid dream that prompted an OBE.  I was 4ish.

I favor and deeply resonate with the Tibetan reality paradigm that considers waking life to be a shared dream state.  It fits how we become aware in life once it's already ongoing.  And when dreams start, they (for me) never start 'at the beginning', i always become aware in the dream once it's ongoing and already in process...  i instrinsically find that extremely telling and important. 

Up until the last five years or so, I was lucid in dreams each night.  Often choosing not top affect the dreamscape, aside from my decisions and being aware that i was engaged in a dream while it was active...

Occasionally i would influence an aspect of the dreamscape, the environment, or characters appearing... but usually i would allow the scene to unfold while aware and then react as i chose within that framework.

Lately, dreaming has been the opposite.  The dreams are utterly absorbing and seem completely real while engaged in them, i experience awareness to the point of reacting as i do in waking life, though i have no idea it is occuring in a dream realm until waking.  Quite disorienting for me after 50 years of lucidity, but i welcome it as a natural progression.

One of my most intense lucid dreams followed me out of sleep and into the waking world.  Full hypnogogic reality waking vision.  One of two that are central reasons i suspect i so resonate with the Tibetan notion of the shared dreaming state of waking reality.

Anyway, thanks for sharing @Owledge.  Fascinating topic and a really potent share.

• Like 2