lifeforce

Sense Pleasures

Songs, Mat Black, Santi, VH, Marblehead, Lucky, Xabir, CarlsonZi, etc... the list of people who know and have attained far deeper realization is long. I read all these posts from them and it's a bit intimidating. Their posts constantly make me aware of how little I've really attained and how little I know. Sometimes now when I post I feel like a clueless, braying Jackass. I guess there's a button being pressed I wasn't aware of until now.

I agree with mYTHmAKER and Marblehead.....

NOT knowing is best.

Beginners Mind is a blessing. All those who think they know, are lost. I think it was Adyashanti who said something like: "I know what I know when I need to know it....other then that I know nothing". Somthing along those lines anyways.

I hope you continue to post.....I find you refreshing.

Love,

Carson :D

Hi Everyone.

In a lot of spiritual/religious systems there seems to be a lot written on this subject.

That the way to enlightenment/bliss is to discard sensory pleasures and emotions.

There seems to be a paradox that I can't figure out.

Is it so wrong to appreciate beauty, love and to have compassion for all living beings ?

Also, the afterlife plays a dominant part in a lot of religions. Are we missing out on life now by focussing on the future and the next life, whatever form that may take ?

I'd be interested in people's opinions and help with this dilemma.

Hi -

Well, sensory pleasures and emotions are simply the greatest thing! I think it would be stupid to discard.

See, before we're humans, probably we're some boring lifeforce, yawning away eternity because there's really nothing to do, nothing to look at, nothing, the grand zero. Somehow a few of us got lucky, discovering this deep hole somewhere, that we all jumped into, and then, we're here, as humans.

And being human, it's all about making use of the senses, of seeing colors, and listening to music, and tasting sweets, and feeling all the way through. It's about using our human limitations to discover what we could not have when there wasn't any.

Mind you, I'm not into all pleasure all the time kind of mentality, because reality kicks in, you need to get a job and make our society function properly. In a way, it's good, because consider if that state of always pleasure to be true, then, it'll be like living in eternity again, completely inhuman, completely boring. Our ancestors jumped down the hole to become human for a reason, you know.

:angry:

I remember when I was into Buddhism, and maybe I lacked understanding, but it felt like we were to rid ourselves of desires and emotions. It felt like the world was to be seen as nothing but suffering. All the sudden I realized that I wanted to enjoy what there is in the world by enjoying nature, friends, a movie, a book, etc. Simple things yes, and along with that accept that there are some bad things in life. Of course when bad things happen I am sure I will wish that I was detached to it all. To me MayDay, being in the moment is to taste the sweets you mentioned, enjoying music, etc. certainly not yawning. Ha. That seems like part of the reason why we are here if we are here for any reason. I also decided that I didn't wish to become enlightened. What Hinduism and Buddhism felt like to me was that you didn't even yawn.

I remember when I was into Buddhism, and maybe I lacked understanding, but it felt like we were to rid ourselves of desires and emotions. It felt like the world was to be seen as nothing but suffering.

What a depressing form of Buddhism you must have been under the sway of. Or at least your interpretation seems quite depressing.

All the sudden I realized that I wanted to enjoy what there is in the world by enjoying nature, friends, a movie, a book, etc. Simple things yes, and along with that accept that there are some bad things in life. Of course when bad things happen I am sure I will wish that I was detached to it all. To me MayDay, being in the moment is to taste the sweets you mentioned, enjoying music, etc. certainly not yawning. Ha. That seems like part of the reason why we are here if we are here for any reason. I also decided that I didn't wish to become enlightened. What Hinduism and Buddhism felt like to me was that you didn't even yawn.

Well, everyone is ready for what they are ready for and not everyone is ready to understand the paths of higher potential discovery. If one is complacent and satiated with the common place roller coaster of pain into pleasure back to pain ride of life. Then... ride it... ride it well! ;)

Hi -

Well, sensory pleasures and emotions are simply the greatest thing! I think it would be stupid to discard.

I wouldn't say the greatest thing, as pleasure of the senses and emotions mixed with spiritual bliss is even better! :lol:

I remember when I was into Buddhism, and maybe I lacked understanding, but it felt like we were to rid ourselves of desires and emotions. It felt like the world was to be seen as nothing but suffering. All the sudden I realized that I wanted to enjoy what there is in the world by enjoying nature, friends, a movie, a book, etc. Simple things yes, and along with that accept that there are some bad things in life. Of course when bad things happen I am sure I will wish that I was detached to it all. To me MayDay, being in the moment is to taste the sweets you mentioned, enjoying music, etc. certainly not yawning. Ha. That seems like part of the reason why we are here if we are here for any reason. I also decided that I didn't wish to become enlightened. What Hinduism and Buddhism felt like to me was that you didn't even yawn.

I'm beginning to understand it as the opposite. I looked at mindfulness meditation, I wish I was introduced to this first. It seems like a widening of a comfort zone by de-powering stuff that's debilitating.

Well, everyone is ready for what they are ready for and not everyone is ready to understand the paths of higher potential discovery. If one is complacent and satiated with the common place roller coaster of pain into pleasure back to pain ride of life. Then... ride it... ride it well! ;)

I agree. You can't force cultivation on someone who is very much in love with life's ups and downs, attachments, and senses.

But sometimes I think about breaking the illusion of satisfaction people carry. Of course, without trying to be an asshole. :D .

I agree. You can't force cultivation on someone who is very much in love with life's ups and downs, attachments, and senses.

But sometimes I think about breaking the illusion of satisfaction people carry. Of course, without trying to be an asshole. :D .

That's probably the biggest challenge. :mellow:

"Sense Pleasures"

it is come from Chan (Zen) Ding. ChanDing has 8 level, the first level of Chan (Zen) is Sense Pleasures form bottom of your heart. why those people living in the temple for 30 years , are they crazy ?. no, they feel those pleasure. it is much better then some good food or sexual pleasure.

only some people have those, some others heard about those pleasure with personal understanding , go to a term in phylogsiph;ogggsdfs.

Edited by TianhuaQigong

Of course, without trying to be an asshole. :D .

Lucky, the difference between trying and being perceived as such is different. For me it's somewhat hard because I grew up in environments where people weren't sensitive to taunts and it wasn't like walking on egg shells where everyone is so fragile. I am working on being more socially acceptable in an environment quite opposite of my upbringing.

That's difficult for me. I'm used to joking around with people without many buttons. Where it's not so much what you say that can set someone off, but how you say it. The people I've ended up around growing up and in working situations, you can talk about anything and tell them to their face your opinions as long as it's handled in a friendly fashion with certain balancing phrases, or tones of voice.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

http://www.sageera.com/articles/comments/d...st_1_june_2006/

Lucky, the difference between trying and being perceived as such is different. For me it's somewhat hard because I grew up in environments where people weren't sensitive to taunts and it wasn't like walking on egg shells where everyone is so fragile. I am working on being more socially acceptable in an environment quite opposite of my upbringing.

That's difficult for me. I'm used to joking around with people without many buttons. Where it's not so much what you say that can set someone off, but how you say it. The people I've ended up around growing up and in working situations, you can talk about anything and tell them to their face your opinions as long as it's handled in a friendly fashion with certain balancing phrases, or tones of voice.