I used to do all of these and more, spontaneously, when I first started really practicing kundalini yoga. :)

'SereneBlue' date='Sep 15 2009, 11:30 PM' post='141372'

mudra.jpg

This one is the Dharma chakra mudra or wheel of the Buddha. I would do this lots myself. This was probably my most common one in fact. It feels centered and blissful!!

mudra2.jpg

This one is open space, or Akasha mudra. Also one I did quite often! Still do... it feels good, balancing and opening!

The other two I don't know the names of right off hand. There are lots and lots of mudra books though. You can put that word into the Amazon search engine and get tons of selections. I guess you should pick the one with the best reviews? I'd go through it normally, but I'm just going to bed now.

Maybe some others will chime in?

Edited by Vajrahridaya

The first drawing you had shown.. Hmm well I never heard it used as a mudra.. Just as both hand positions in stances really. Pretty much finger tips curled in resting on the thumbs of both hands.. depending on whether your doing it with one or both hands. Again I only really know it from a stance.

Hi Serene,

Did you have a kundalini opening at some point? I have had spontaneous mudras for years after Shakti awakening. I think when they happen spontaneously they are a result of Shakti clearing out blockages and balancing internal energy. In our lineage it is interpreted that Shakti clears out accumulated impressions, "dust on the mirror" if you will. The impressions are converted to automatic movements, sounds, mudras, movements of prana. I wouldn't get too caught up with labels, but I know it's fun. Whatever your mudras mean, you look fantastic doing them!

Cheers,

Gordon

Can someone please tell me what these mudras mean? My hands keep spontaneously doing the following.

mudra4.jpg < It does this one the most. Tightly closed fist crooked downward. Sorry for the bad drawing. Couldn't find a photo of it on the web.

mudra.jpg < 2nd most common - Hands will sometimes switch positions. Sometimes right one is on top, other times it's the left.

mudra2.jpg < 3rd most common

mudra3.jpg < A new one. This one popped up today. Have never had it before.

Oh...

and sometimes my hands will just open up palms outward and facing up.

Any info from "Mudra Interpretors" would be appreciated. :P

haha nice

Have you seen those in Kap yet with Tao? The 1st middle one is common when doing 5pb. And also when you make a yoni out of it in K2.

It is normal in KAP training to have spontaneous kriyas & also mudras.

S

Edited by Vajrasattva

Any info from "Mudra Interpretors" would be appreciated. :P

Well, did you look what it says at the places where you took these pics from? :lol:

by doing mudras you connect meridians that comes to fingertips and create circuits inside your body, activating organs or chackras...

here are some tips, but you need to explore your internal feelings:

meridians.jpg

02.jpgimagephp.gif

mbreath10e.jpgmbreath14.jpg

EyeHandMudra.jpgkuanyin-sittinggif.jpg

What does it mean to make a Buddha Wheel for example? Why would my hands know or care about anything to do with the Buddha? :unsure:

It just means your turning the wheel of your dharma. Your on your way...

:)

Searches on google brought up nothing.

But where did you find the pictures then hehe?

You know what...

Someone tell me how to lock this thread or better yet delete the whole thing.

Sorry to bother you all.

Why? Sorry if I upset you. :blink:

you should see the crazy stuff my hands do during spontaneous!

Sometimes they get into a mudra and connect several points on the body together... I had thumbs in throat and pinkies on third eye last week... Sometimes I get sword fingers that push or point or trace or cut...

No idea what they mean or why they happen - sometimes I can feel the effects, sometimes not.

I don't think it's important to understand them. But I find it endlessly fascinating that a deeper intelligence in me knows what it's doing.

So I just suggest to trust that deeper intelligence and not get in the way of it.

TTB's threads sometimes take a while to percolate.

Sometimes nuttin' comes of a thread at all but a lotta yappin',

sometimes there's just a post or three in a long while that are killer and make it worth the trouble.

There's juice in the topic of mudras

might/might not brew a full cup o' joe right now

but it's got good beans.

you should see the crazy stuff my hands do ...

Sometimes ...

... and not get in the way of it.

Sweet! B)

Since this thread has kinda lost it's original intent (due to some post erasing) I figured I would post something here that I posted on the AYP forum this morning in regards to mudras (hand) and their effects during pranayam and meditation.........

Lately I have become increasingly aware of the energy flows within the body, and during meditation and pranayam I have been experimenting with different hand positions to see what works best.

Here are my observations, would love to hear of yours.....

I have come to realize that a "closed" or "partially closed" hand mudra is best for me during Spinal Breathing Pranayama. Whether it is Gyan mudra, Dhyana Mudra, Anjali Mudra or any other "closed" mudra, I find that "closing the circuit" with the hands is more conducive to keeping the energy flow within the sushumna....almost like a bandha(lock) for the hands....Sitting in siddhasana seems to be like a lock for the energy flow out the feet, mulabandha for energy flow out the root, jalandhara for the energy flow out of the head, and a closed mudra with the hands to keep the energy flow from escaping out of the hands. I find closing all these "escape routes" during pranayam seems to "supercharge" my sessions.

What I have found for Deep Meditation is basically the exact opposite. I used to engage all the mudras and bandhas during DM, but I have relaxed on that. I only engage Kechari and Sambhavi during DM now. And what I have found to be the most effective hand mudra for DM is to completely open the hands, palms up on the thighs. This (for me) seems to completely open the crown chakra and I can feel the crown spinning as well as the minor chakras in the palms of each of the hands spinning. Doing this seems to make my body feel very light (as in weight). If I close my hands in Dhyana Mudra or another I seem to "close up" and "get heavy" again. I find it very easy with the palms (and subsequently the heart and crown) open to become the mantra and to move deep inside to that place of "complete-ness". Open like this I seem to feel completely "whole". It may just be me, but I thought I would share and see if anyone else has experimented with different hand positions for pranayam and meditation and whether or not they have noticed any effects from them.

Lots of Love!

Love,

Carson :D

There are also lots of nifty hand seals in Ninpo (Ninjutsu). So if you want to find some pictures to compare to, you might want to search those as well.

I don't think it's important to understand them.

So I just suggest to trust that deeper intelligence and not get in the way of it.

I don't get in the way of mine either. They're happening whether I want them to or not.

Unlike most TaoBummers I DO want to understand what's happening.

I just thought TaoBums would be the best place to find out about them since the kind of information I was pulling up didn't answer my questions. Knowing a mudra is called All Seeing Eye tells me nothing. I don't know what the hell an All Seeing Eye means or what it's function and purpose is. Same thing with the Buddha Wheel (although thank you VH for finally answering that one. :) ). Same thing with the other ones I posted about originally.

I think now there are other forums that are better for finding out what I want to know about Mudras and Kriyas.

Cheers to everyone. It's all good in the woods. :)

The second one is used in pyramid meditation. It balances out the body and protects it from outside harm spiritually and energetically. I found it powerful combined with a full lotus. It feels like all the channels are hooked up.

The third one just looks like Kunlun level 1. Use of polarities of two hands in that fashion can be found virtually everywhere.

I really suggest you experiment with the mudras and the breath. Breathe energy and intent into them and see what they do. It's fun to experiment with. :) .

I still wish someone could tell me what the tightly clenched downward fists mean and do.

It means you are angry and want to punch someone ;) Kidding :lol: I don't know specifically what that mudra means.....sorry.

What it means in general is that doing that mudra at that time was necessary to correct energy flow in order to (at least partially) dissolve an obstruction. At least this is my experience with automatic yoga/kriyas.

Love,

Carson :D

Edited by CarsonZi

It draws you inward, and conserves your energy...instead of wasting it on external things. It's good.

Many people (as well as animals) do a similar position with their wrists/limbs when they're sleeping. :)