Sign in to follow this  
Dainin

Maoist exercise routine?

As a kid back in the 70s, I remember seeing pictures and film clips from the People's Republic of China of large numbers of students in formation on athletic fields going through a standardized exercise routine. Usually there was a scratchy sounding tape playing music and a woman's voice calling out the exercises (I think).

Is anyone here familiar with what this routine was? I'm guessing it was probably calisthenics, and not qigong or martial arts. Know of any sources that describe the routine, or maybe a video? Thanks in advance.

As a kid back in the 70s, I remember seeing pictures and film clips from the People's Republic of China of large numbers of students in formation on athletic fields going through a standardized exercise routine. Usually there was a scratchy sounding tape playing music and a woman's voice calling out the exercises (I think).

Is anyone here familiar with what this routine was? I'm guessing it was probably calisthenics, and not qigong or martial arts. Know of any sources that describe the routine, or maybe a video? Thanks in advance.

Its just a set of movements to move the body, blood and keep the mind alert.

Nothing Qigong intense, or "related", though any movement affects one's Qi and blood.

Its a standard practice in all middle schools and primary schools in China.

SHould be implemented in the States...keep the students happy and health conscious.

Nothing Qigong intense, or "related", though any movement affects one's Qi and blood.

SHould be implemented in the States...keep the students happy and health conscious.

Ya,

Interestingly enough though if you read a book called 'the private life of chairman mao' written by his physician for 20 odd years Mao was following Taoist sexual practices in order to prolong his life whilst religion had been band to everyone else. He was a naughty boy doing his own 'special' exercises with young girls. :blink:

Ya,

Interestingly enough though if you read a book called 'the private life of chairman mao' written by his physician for 20 odd years Mao was following Taoist sexual practices in order to prolong his life whilst religion had been band to everyone else. He was a naughty boy doing his own 'special' exercises with young girls. :blink:

Anyone know where i can find decent dao yin exercises illustrated and explained like in a manual on the interenet?

Should be? Regimented exercise programs are always used as an indoctrination tool by rigid authoritarian cultures. Hitler youth corps used the same type of brainwashing as well as Mao. Also it does not follow that if this type of program were implemented, then students would be happy.

Phys. ed and volunteer sports are enough.

ralis

They also do eye exercises 2-3 times a day for 5 minutes inbetween classes. They massage certain accupuncture points around the eyes to relax them. Asian eyes are terrible, it's not because their eyes can't open far enough it's cos they study so damn much and never give their eyes time to relax!

Also most of the companys have exercises for employees too. You'll see them all stand up in lines out the front of their company doing some weird dance movements or something. Especially hairdressers. Some of the things these companies make them do is rediculous, imagine having to do a much more wacked out version of the macarina dance before work every morning. They know everyones looking at them and alot of them feel like idiots doing it it's easy to see. I feel for em!

Edited by z00se

Sign in to follow this