Sign in to follow this  
DalTheJigsaw123

The Best Music To Meditate Too?

Guest sykkelpump

The Best Music To Meditate Too? Suggestions? It could be links/albums to buy or even torrents? Thanks!

Dont understand why you wanna meditate to music.the more quiet it is the easier it is to enter deep meditation.

Music can make things easier and can put you in to a deeper trance state.

I suggest soundtracks. But eventually any music should be able to put you into a "state". Key is listen and feel the resonance of the frequencies and how it affects your chakras but at the same time let go.

Glenn Velez has some great tracks to meditate too. Get Rhythm of the Chakras.

Peace

S

Guest sykkelpump

Music can make things easier and can put you in to a deeper trance state.

I suggest soundtracks. But eventually any music should be able to put you into a "state". Key is listen and feel the resonance of the frequencies and how it affects your chakras but at the same time let go.

Glenn Velez has some great tracks to meditate too. Get Rhythm of the Chakras.

Peace

S

Never heard of any high level meditators listening to music.and I have many years experience myself with very deep meditation.I cant say it is not poissible to meditate to music,but I doubt it will ever get you any far

One of the coolest music meditations that I've found is the Divine Sound by Dhanyogi Omdasji. It is beautiful.

You can download it for free here, if you register for the website.

Never heard of any high level meditators listening to music.and I have many years experience myself with very deep meditation.I cant say it is not poissible to meditate to music,but I doubt it will ever get you any far

You are absolutely right. The very idea that listening to music while meditating could have only come about in the era of recorded music. Remember the difference between prayer and meditation? Prayer is when you talk to God and he listens. Meditation is when God talks and you listen. A secular version might be that meditation is when you shut down the stream of discursive thought long enough to hear what the universe is telling you.

"Soundtracks", for trance states? How a suggestion like this could even be offered, much less acted upon, is beyond my comprehension.

"Key is listen and feel the resonance of the frequencies and how it affects your chakras but at the same time let go." How would you know if you even acquired the sensitivity to detect these effects, or were even capable of ruling out the physiological effects of expectation? I'm sorry, but this advice does not even rise to the level of silliness. The author of this stuff regularly demonstrates some familiarity with Asian esoterica, but most of us are capable of generating our own metaphysical amusements without having them prescribed by others.

If you want to make meditation an important part of your life, bone up on binaural beat technology, and if you live in a noisy environment, invest $30 in a pair of noise cancelling headphones. Otherwise, skip the music.

• Like 1

You are absolutely right. The very idea that listening to music while meditating could have only come about in the era of recorded music. Remember the difference between prayer and meditation? Prayer is when you talk to God and he listens. Meditation is when God talks and you listen. A secular version might be that meditation is when you shut down the stream of discursive thought long enough to hear what the universe is telling you.

"Soundtracks", for trance states? How a suggestion like this could even be offered, much less acted upon, is beyond my comprehension.

"Key is listen and feel the resonance of the frequencies and how it affects your chakras but at the same time let go." How would you know if you even acquired the sensitivity to detect these effects, or were even capable of ruling out the physiological effects of expectation? I'm sorry, but this advice does not even rise to the level of silliness. The author of this stuff regularly demonstrates some familiarity with Asian esoterica, but most of us are capable of generating our own metaphysical amusements without having them prescribed by others.

If you want to make meditation an important part of your life, bone up on binaural beat technology, and if you live in a noisy environment, invest $30 in a pair of noise cancelling headphones. Otherwise, skip the music.

That was quite helpful! Thank you everyone else too, for sharing your views on this.

Blasto,

The very idea that listening to music while meditating could have only come about in the era of recorded music.

People all over the world have used sound as a spiritual practice for probably all of history. Bushman songs. Mantras. Pythagorean music. Gong or bowl healing. Nada yoga (like the example I gave, which is a form of external nada yoga). Etc...

So I disagree.

Plus, if you're going to do the type of meditation where you repeatedly bring your focus back to a specific object...why not use sound? It's just as legitimate as anything else, such as body sensations, or a visual image, etc. It's all different vibrations, some better, some worse.

How would you know if you even acquired the sensitivity to detect these effects, or were even capable of ruling out the physiological effects of expectation? I'm sorry, but this advice does not even rise to the level of silliness.

You know by practicing for a good amount of time, like Vajrasattva has. Skepticism is a good quality to have, but it's irrational to pre-judge things you have little-to-no experience with. But everyone will do what they want, so whatever. :)

This idea could have only come about in the era of recorded music. :P

Personally, I haven't had good experiences with binaural beat tech, and think it could be harmful...but to each their own.

I have to admit that in my haste to respond to certain points I allow emotionality to color my sentiments. My apologies; the points raised deserve honest answers.

I've been a (non-professional) musician all my life and have played in bands since I was a jazz band nerd in junior high school 35 years ago.. Like many others in here, I am familiar with the rich history of the role of music and spitiuality and have played in enough bands in college to get some idea about the spiritual side of music. Billy Childs composes music that puts me into a mental state that I cannot replicate with other sources, but I'm not meditating when I'm listening to it. Meditation and induced trance states have different goals, they have different purposes, different functions.

I believe the origianl question was focused on meditation. This thread could easily spin off into the specific function and goal of meditation. I would argue that, at the very least, the initial purpose of meditation is to shut off the steam of discursive thought that keeps us in a distracted state. If you can accomplish that, and then feel moved to investigate trance states, then go for it. If you really want to get into it, check out Ghandarva Ved. But skipping the essential step of experiencing and befriending silence and going straight into the pursuit of altered states of consciousness is really not the most efficient course of action. The mind desperately wants to attach itself to anything in order to avoid the experience of silence. giving in to this impulse, whether it is staring at a candle or listening to auditory phenomena, is to reject this essential step.

Of course, I could probably just do myself and everyone else in here a big favor by admitting my skepticism, engaging in fewer battles, and shutting the hell up. :D

"The first key to wisdom is this-constant and frequent questioning... for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." Peter Abelard 1099-1142.

"Philosophy means, first, doubt; and afterwards the consciousness of what knowledge means, the consciousness of uncertainty and of ignorance, the consciousness of limit, shade, degree, possibility. The ordinary man doubts nothing and suspects nothing." Henri Frederic Amiel 1821-1881.

Edited by Blasto

Hmm that would explain why many shamans and medicine men/women, Monks etc use Drums & Chants to bring about trance & change in states.

A high level meditator can meditate any where & can meditate at any time & can Meditate with or with out object and that includes music.

I doubt you have any real experience. If you did you would know differently.

Music can be a VERY powerful tool.

Ever wonder why Saraswati plays an instrument? & Why lord Shiva has a drum & a Conch Shell?

Blasto,

I highly respect your experience, and don't wish for you to shut up. What you contribute to this forum is valuable.

I believe the origianl question was focused on meditation. This thread could easily spin off into the specific function and goal of meditation. I would argue that, at the very least, the initial purpose of meditation is to shut off the steam of discursive thought that keeps us in a distracted state. If you can accomplish that, and then feel moved to investigate trance states, then go for it. If you really want to get into it, check out Ghandarva Ved. But skipping the essential step of experiencing and befriending silence and going straight into the pursuit of altered states of consciousness is really not the most efficient course of action. The mind desperately wants to attach itself to anything in order to avoid the experience of silence. giving in to this impulse, whether it is staring at a candle or listening to auditory phenomena, is to reject this essential step.

In my view, meditating on sound doesn't always have to be about trance states. It can be a way of silencing the mind. When you repeatedly bring the attention to a single point, gradually the monkey mind is lessened and silence increases. Before this happens, it's not a choice...the practice makes it a choice (and there are many different methods). So after you've used the tool, you can toss it aside.

The function with this type of meditation is more so about "feeding" the time when consciousness is at its peak, than it is about avoiding the times when it's dim.

There are added benefits of working with sound, because the body and mind are inseparable, and certain sounds affect the body in different ways. A certain frequency will vibrate at a certain level...you can do this with your voice...the bassier it is, the lower the level the vibration can reach. Not just on a physical level, but on a deeper more archetypal level, different vibrations have different effects. So when you're vibing with that area, you are healing that part of the body/mind by bringing the hidden stuff to the forefront of consciousness. That's part of the theory behind sound meditation.

So while at the same time you are experiencing the silence, you are also taking that silence into loud places (blockages) and listening to them, and further silencing those parts...so that eventually, all parts of the body/mind are integrated with the purity of being...instead of going in and out of the state, or only partially being silent.

That's my idea on the subject.

I don't think binaural beats works for me either. I downloaded some hemi-sync cd's to check it out before purchasing anything ( for such is the way of my generation :rolleyes: ).

The tapes made to put you into deep sleep just kept me awake, and vice versa :D

I did a lit review on B. Beats and deemed it worthy to try it out. Someone in here sent me a custom Kunlun binaural beat and I love the subjective experience, but of course, I have no way of independently verifying if it is performing as promised.

Anyone who goes to college in the US is required to take one lower division critical thinking class, which is pathetic because 1) it ain't nearly enough, and 2) many of the teachers don't know how to teach the class. But the absolute minimum proficiency in CT would familiarize students with the importance of clarification of terms. This forum regularly fails to achieve even that basic proficiency. I've seen threads completely unravel and give birth to mulitple conversations in less than 7 or 8 posts. Want to ask a question about meditation? Great! So let's introduce the subject of trance states! Let's muddy the waters so much that none of us are beholden to even the slightest tenets of cognitive hygiene! Let's introduce anything! Everything! Let's focus on material that is beyond the realm of verifiability and falsifiability, so that we needn't ever again be accountable to reason!

I come in here because, like many of you, I have a hunger for this subject matter, and I frequently get issues of energy practice resolved. I have been repeatedly heartened by the deeply thoughtful advice on energy work, meridians, the microcosmic orbit, even diet. But all too often, it turns into a masturbation contest - "Who can get themselves off the quickest with the most metaphysical speculation!"

I must get something out of it, tho, right? :blink:

Blasto,

I highly respect your experience, and don't wish for you to shut up. What you contribute to this forum is valuable.

In my view, meditating on sound doesn't always have to be about trance states. It can be a way of silencing the mind. When you repeatedly bring the attention to a single point, gradually the monkey mind is lessened and silence increases. Before this happens, it's not a choice...the practice makes it a choice (and there are many different methods). So after you've used the tool, you can toss it aside.

The function with this type of meditation is more so about "feeding" the time when consciousness is at its peak, than it is about avoiding the times when it's dim.

There are added benefits of working with sound, because the body and mind are inseparable, and certain sounds affect the body in different ways. A certain frequency will vibrate at a certain level...you can do this with your voice...the bassier it is, the lower the level the vibration can reach. Not just on a physical level, but on a deeper more archetypal level, different vibrations have different effects. So when you're vibing with that area, you are healing that part of the body/mind by bringing the hidden stuff to the forefront of consciousness. That's part of the theory behind sound meditation.

So while at the same time you are experiencing the silence, you are also taking that silence into loud places (blockages) and listening to them, and further silencing those parts...so that eventually, all parts of the body/mind are integrated with the purity of being...instead of going in and out of the state, or only partially being silent.

That's my idea on the subject.

Nice job Scotty. Very thoughtful reply. Points well taken.

On 10.9.2009 at 10:16 PM, Vajrasattva said:

Hmm that would explain why many shamans and medicine men/women, Monks etc use Drums & Chants to bring about trance & change in states.

A high level meditator can meditate any where & can meditate at any time & can Meditate with or with out object and that includes music.

I doubt you have any real experience. If you did you would know differently.

Music can be a VERY powerful tool.

Ever wonder why Saraswati plays an instrument? & Why lord Shiva has a drum & a Conch Shell?

Two very different interpretations of Meditation. I#d go with sykkelpump in interpreting Meditation as letting go of attachments. Why attach yourself to music? With shamanic trance of course things stand different. But thats Trance , not Meditation.Flight in Higher or Dream Dimensions as opposed to being awake and receptive in THIS World.

Sign in to follow this