Sign in to follow this  
Bum Grasshopper

Yarrow Stick Method

Can someone describe the procedure? When I do it , I get an overabundance of 7's.

The method I was using counts out the sticks in the traditional fashion, but you get the result by counting the piles of 4 in front of you, which should be 6,7,8 or 9.

The methods I have researched such as this counts the sticks remaining after counting the piles of 4.

Are they both correct?

Edited by Bum Grasshopper

Can someone describe the procedure? When I do it , I get an overabundance of 7's.

The method I was using counts out the sticks in the traditional fashion, but you get the result by counting the piles of 4 in front of you, which should be 6,7,8 or 9.

The methods I have researched such as this counts the sticks remaining after counting the piles of 4.

Are they both correct?

You Be Lost !

The I Ching in Chinese (Cantonese dialect) is "Ba Gua"

Ba = 8

Gua is language

Together it means language of 8's

There is Buddhist I Ching,

Taoist I Ching,

Confucian I Ching

The above 3 are translated by Thomas Cleary.

The King Wen/Duke of Chou I Ching of government.

Each one describes a different subject from 8 opposing perspectives.

To study the I Ching's Phillosophy - if you can find one - get The Pocket I Ching

Based on Wilhelm's translation but simplified by W.S. Boardman - only 130 pages but it keeps the essence.

WoW - Here's one for .01$ http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Ching-Richard...n/dp/014019049X

Loose the yarrow sticks... It will free your mind to see the true reality of a great book. I had to give mine away too :P

Edited by ~jK~

Sorry, I am just beginning my adventure into the I- Ching. I find Stephen Karcher's interpretation most understandable. He peels away the Confucianism to reveal the tao.

He also addresses the difficulty of translation by writing symbolically instead of linearly.

Sign in to follow this