Baguakid

Qi Dao - Lama Somananda Tantrapa

I've met the fellow. He seems to be really big on push-hands and the like. Nice enough guy.

I don't know what happened but he recently either got fed up with the NQA or the NQA got fed up with him; he no longer is a part of the organization. I listened to one of his interviews when he interviewed a friend of mine who runs a 4 year medical qigong program. This lady knows what she is talking about and IMO he was disrespectful in the interview.

There's been a topic about it before here, the author also posted on the forum a few times, so you can try to find it.

I downloaded a torrent of this practice a while ago to see what it's about. I didn't like it, though I really just glanced at it. Not my thing I guess.

On his website it says "Give yourself the gift of enlightment by visiting our store." LOL!!

ralis

I've met the fellow. He seems to be really big on push-hands and the like.

I looked over the Amazon reviews for his book. The reviewers talk like he is the 2nd Coming of a Qi Gong Christ. What's so great about Push Hands and what are they supposed to do? Especially vis-a-vis other types of Qi Gong movement?

I looked over the Amazon reviews for his book. The reviewers talk like he is the 2nd Coming of a Qi Gong Christ. What's so great about Push Hands and what are they supposed to do? Especially vis-a-vis other types of Qi Gong movement?

Several on here would probably say different but IME & IMO don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with qigong - it is a Tai Jee technique. IMO it develops PHYSICAL sensitivity and NOT energy sensitivity. This point can be argued and I am sure it will but this is my experience. Listen to his interview with Damaris Jarboux here. She is the real deal in Qigong teachers.

Here is previous discussion:

Qi Dao

I was very skeptical because of his claims about Bon roots and also ancient Siberian (I think) lineage. But he replied and came across quite well in his posts. Although I find his literature quite off putting.

Several on here would probably say different but IME & IMO don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with qigong - it is a Tai Jee technique. IMO it develops PHYSICAL sensitivity and NOT energy sensitivity. This point can be argued and I am sure it will but this is my experience.

Push hands on a physical level vs energy level is dependent on the practitioner in my experience. Over 98 percent of the people I have been in contact with view push hands as a physical and alignment practice. Only 2 masters I have met are at an energy level with push hands. They are Tony Ho (He Nanjie) a Wu style taiji master and Cai Songfang, a Wuji Qigong master. It depends on what people are searching for as to what they develop in their practice. Most martial artists discount the energy development of Taiji.

Listen to his interview with Damaris Jarboux here. She is the real deal in Qigong teachers.

I've listened to this twice through the noise at work and I like her objectiveness and clarity in discussion. She appears no nonsense approach and I like the theory she speaks about. Sounds great Ya Mu, thanks for posting.

not a Lama. i'd be wary of people who advertise themselves with such lofty titles and call themselves Tulkus or reincarnated masters with no evidence to back it up (like who recognized him?)

I've listened to this twice through the noise at work and I like her objectiveness and clarity in discussion. She appears no nonsense approach and I like the theory she speaks about. Sounds great Ya Mu, thanks for posting.

I couldn't understand anything said at all the white noise and static was SO LOUD. I'm amazed anyone could make out anything. Is there a copy of this interview somewhere? A transcript? Or better yet a cleaner, static-and-white-noise-free recording?

Edited by SereneBlue

I couldn't understand anything said at all the white noise and static was SO LOUD. I'm amazed anyone could make out anything. Is there a copy of this interview somewhere? A transcript? Or better yet a cleaner, static-and-white-noise-free recording?

Ah good, so I wasn't the only one that got static... :lol:

Push hands on a physical level vs energy level is dependent on the practitioner in my experience. Over 98 percent of the people I have been in contact with view push hands as a physical and alignment practice. Only 2 masters I have met are at an energy level with push hands. They are Tony Ho (He Nanjie) a Wu style taiji master and Cai Songfang, a Wuji Qigong master. It depends on what people are searching for as to what they develop in their practice. Most martial artists discount the energy development of Taiji.

Well, I said it was an arguable point. :)

I will concede that once a person learns to manipulate energy then ANYTHING can be turned into a qi kung fu. But there is always the matter of efficiency, eh?

Ah.. I hadn't listened to the recording because I listened to the original interview and it was quite clear.

Damaris Jarboux has a 4 year medical qigong program and is located in Boulder, Colorado. I have taught as a guest teacher at her school and consider her to be an exceptional teacher. She had really dedicated and powerful students there; several of her students have taken further classes with me and they are top notch.

My whole point in mentioning this interview was that (and this is only my viewpoint) it seemed he was not very respectful or at least somewhat challenging in the interview and didn't appear to at all understand the concepts that Damaris put forth in the interview.

Hello fellow Tao Bums! I am glad to see so many of you having listened to my radio talk show The Secrets of Qigong Masters. For whatever reason, only one episode was mentioned on this forum - my interview with Damaris Jarboux. My high regard for her expertise notwithstanding, I would like to invite you to listen to other fine Qigong masters and authors at www.blogtalkradio.com/qigongmasters. Please enjoy the interviews with Mantak Chia, Ken Cohen, Roger Jahnke, Yang Jwing-Ming, Jerry Alan Johnson, Effie Chow, Michael Winn, Bruce Kumar Frantzis, Chunyi Lin, and dozens of other Qigong experts.

If you have some interest in my own work, you are welcome to read my book free of charge at http://books.google.com/books?id=n5uwVkQqJOoC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false or order it on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Qi-Dao-Tibetan-Shamanic-Qigong/dp/1434320278/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269042200&sr=8-1. I hope that this helps dismiss any misunderstandings about my teachings and titles. Should you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to email me at [email protected] or call 503-501-8116.

Speak to you soon.

Namaste,

Lama Tantrapa

Hello fellow Tao Bums! I am glad to see so many of you having listened to my radio talk show The Secrets of Qigong Masters. For whatever reason, only one episode was mentioned on this forum - my interview with Damaris Jarboux. My high regard for her expertise notwithstanding, I would like to invite you to listen to other fine Qigong masters and authors at www.blogtalkradio.com/qigongmasters. Please enjoy the interviews with Mantak Chia, Ken Cohen, Roger Jahnke, Yang Jwing-Ming, Jerry Alan Johnson, Effie Chow, Michael Winn, Bruce Kumar Frantzis, Chunyi Lin, and dozens of other Qigong experts.

If you have some interest in my own work, you are welcome to read my book free of charge at http://books.google.com/books?id=n5uwVkQqJOoC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false or order it on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Qi-Dao-Tibetan-Shamanic-Qigong/dp/1434320278/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269042200&sr=8-1. I hope that this helps dismiss any misunderstandings about my teachings and titles. Should you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to email me at [email protected] or call 503-501-8116.

Speak to you soon.

Namaste,

Lama Tantrapa

Tantrapa, who gave you the title Lama?

LMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!

I was about to ask the same thing :D

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm still LMFAO - can't even type anymoreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yuppieeee

He probably got it online ...........

Wow that was good - I don't understand how people get bored with the Taobums.

Oh sh@#

Looking forward to his answer........

did you read his book for free as suggested. Perhaps your answer can be found therein.

Do you really care or are you just playing gotcha. I am pretty sure he addressed this the last time around the TTB inquisition.

Craig

Why are titles so important? Does it even matter? Titles denote a top down authoritarian structure, in which the authoritarian followers worship the titles and are part of the structure and most maintain that position all of their lives. The followers are very easy to spot.

ralis

Edited by ralis

Why are titles so important? Does it even matter? Titles denote a top down authoritarian structure, in which the authoritarian followers are part of the structure and most maintain that position all of their lives. The followers are very easy to spot.

ralis

For one thing, a title indicates a level of mastery over something that requires considerable effort and time. Thus, it is useful for a teacher.

In religion and something like qigong, skill is not as easily observed as in something like athletics or music for example. This makes it a more difficult issue.

Title examples: Doctor, Coach, Professor

I'm not a martial artist, but I know titles are important there too.

Edited by RyanO

did you read his book for free as suggested. Perhaps your answer can be found therein.

Do you really care or are you just playing gotcha. I am pretty sure he addressed this the last time around the TTB inquisition.

Craig

No I didn't read his book, I'm just wary of people that make up titles for themselves so as to attract people by giving themselves credentials that are unearned. Max Christiansen used to call himself Lama, that annoyed me too.

Traditionally, one can be given the title Lama after completing a 3 year 3 month retreat; but it generally isn't that simple. You have to be part of a lineage, have a teacher, and have purified yourself to the extent necessary whereby you're qualified to teach others.

So if you've read the book, can you explain how he got the title?

For one thing, a title indicates a level of mastery over something that requires considerable effort and time. Thus, it is useful for a teacher.

In religion and something like qigong, skill is not as easily observed as in something like athletics or music for example. This makes it a more difficult issue.

Title examples: Doctor, Coach, Professor

I'm not a martial artist, but I know titles are important there too.

I should have limited my remarks to spiritual titles. I was generalizing.

ralis

No I didn't read his book, I'm just wary of people that make up titles for themselves so as to attract people by giving themselves credentials that are unearned. Max Christiansen used to call himself Lama, that annoyed me too.

Traditionally, one can be given the title Lama after completing a 3 year 3 month retreat; but it generally isn't that simple. You have to be part of a lineage, have a teacher, and have purified yourself to the extent necessary whereby you're qualified to teach others.

So if you've read the book, can you explain how he got the title?

I also have trouble with Max and his Lama title. I also have trouble with the whole idea that one needs purification and at the end of that process, one is entitled to teach in the Tibetan tradition. Purification of what? Seems very subjective to me.

I believe Steven Seagal has been granted Lama and Tulku status. :lol:

ralis

Edited by ralis

I should have limited my remarks to spiritual titles. I was generalizing.

ralis

Yeah I figured you were. It's just that from a religious perspective there is a similar logic in titles. That they aren't arbitrary, but indicate a level of skill or advancement in their respective path.

I have no problem with someone calling themselves anything. It means nothing about their attainment, or personal attributes. If it hurts anyone, it will mostly hurt them, because they have to live up to the title.

What people do is important to me. Lama Tantrapa has a great internet talk show, with many famous and inspiring teachers/healers being interviewed. That's at least worthy of respect. Plus, he made his book (whether it's good or bad in your opinion) free on google, so that you can judge it before buying. That's also very worthy of respect.

All in all, I've personally grown tired of the endless bashing on this forum. Not like I'm leaving...just saying,

is it doing us any good?

• Like 1

I have no problem with someone calling themselves anything. It means nothing about their attainment, or personal attributes. If it hurts anyone, it will mostly hurt them, because they have to live up to the title.

What people do is important to me. Lama Tantrapa has a great internet talk show, with many famous and inspiring teachers/healers being interviewed. That's at least worthy of respect. Plus, he made his book (whether it's good or bad in your opinion) free on google, so that you can judge it before buying. That's also very worthy of respect.

All in all, I've personally grown tired of the endless bashing on this forum. Not like I'm leaving...just saying,

is it doing us any good?

Just like you don't have a problem with Fake Lamas (i.e. Tantrapa and Max) I don't a problem bashing the fake lamas. Actually I think they need to be laughed at until they quit - because they are fake gurus in my opinion. A lot of knowledge is hidden and divided amongst few people in this world. Lately a lot of it came out, but it's still very difficult to obtain it because you have to find it and sometimes pay a lot of money or even risk your life to get it. And then you have the BS gurus that only have basic surface knowledge and make a business out of it.

And no, they don't have to live up to the title because you guys don't have any problems with their titles so they actually get a lot more credit then the real masters. Do you know that John Chang was so poor at one point that he didn't have anything to eat for a long time ?

While these mofos are having talkshows and call themselves lamas!!! Talk shows with whom? Michael Winn and Mantak Chia who are going to teach you how to smile like the greeters from Walmart and call it a "secret smile" ? Bruce Kumar Frantzis who is pushing nerds and women on youtube and calls it fa jin or Chunyi Lin who produces great spiritual beings like Drew here on the taobums?

I'm just sayin....

Edited by orb