JustARandomPanda

Eight Silken Forms

I was reading something about thyroid problems from a Taoist / Chinese Medicine perspective and they mentioned the following:

I have run several searches plus looked for videos on YouTube and nowhere do I find any mention of this Eight Silken Forms. Is there anyone here who knows what this Qi gong is? Better yet is there a description or video demo of this form that lets you see how strong your thyroid is?

qigong literally hit Hawaii in the nineties ..through an article published in the East West Newspaper about surgery in Beijing by a chinese doctor on thyroid cancer while performing lohangong as acupuncture without needles..there are plenty more articles on the net about similar use of lohangong. medical lohan gong is a successive system of static forms designed to strenghten and harmonize the energy flowing in our internal organs through the eight extraordinary meridians.

In medical lohan gong we do have stances as mentioned in your article with which you may heal yourself.

Why not broaden search by also incorporating a medical qigong system that ensures you a successive buildup of forms making sure you find one that heals thyroid unbalance - also. :)? just a suggestion

Edited by rain

I have run several searches plus looked for videos on YouTube and nowhere do I find any mention of this Eight Silken Forms. Is there anyone here who knows what this Qi gong is? Better yet is there a description or video demo of this form that lets you see how strong your thyroid is?[/b][/color]

Try Eight Brocades, Eight Section Brocade, Eight Sections of the Silken Brocade, Ba Duan Jin or Baduanjin.

That should get you started.

Not sure if you're into downloading torrents, but there are plenty of instructional videos on the Ba Duan Jin online. PM me if you're interested.

By the way-sorry to pry, but is that a pic of you, Serene Blue?

.there are plenty more articles on the net about similar use of lohangong. medical lohan gong is a successive system of static forms designed to strenghten and harmonize the energy flowing in our internal organs through the eight extraordinary meridians.

Hi Rain,
Just mention "eight extraordinary meridians" and I am all ears!
Yes, there certainly are "plenty more articles" on the net! Thousands of hits!
Could you recommend a few articles/links to get us started?

Thank you,

So Eight Silken Forms is the same as Eight Pieces of Brocade?

Not sure if you're into downloading torrents, but there are plenty of instructional videos on the Ba Duan Jin online. PM me if you're interested.

I'm interested. :)

By the way-sorry to pry, but is that a pic of you, Serene Blue?

Yep

So Eight Silken Forms is the same as Eight Pieces of Brocade?

I'm interested. :)

Yep

Yes same thing, but what you will find is there are several ways of doing the 8 pieces of brocade. I consider them good stretching and muscle exercises but not much in the way of qigong. Worth learning and doing. You can find at least 20-30 versions on DVD and in books. IMO, as exercises they don't compare with the efficiency of rebounding and as qigong they don't compare with energetic qigong systems. But still worth doing; will help keep you limber as you grow old.

Yes same thing, but what you will find is there are several ways of doing the 8 pieces of brocade.

No kidding. I learned three different versions, although by now I've forgotten a little bit the first two because I haven't practiced them for quite some time. And then I always see some different version online or in books. They're all similar, but not the same.

IMO, as exercises they don't compare with the efficiency of rebounding and as qigong they don't compare with energetic qigong systems.

What do you mean with rebounding?

What do you mean with rebounding?

Jumping on a rebounder (mini-trampoline). As far as efficiency goes, nothing compares. I turn it into a qigong as I do Stillness-Movement on the rebounder.

Jumping on a rebounder (mini-trampoline). As far as efficiency goes, nothing compares. I turn it into a qigong as I do Stillness-Movement on the rebounder.

this reply makes me feel slightly dense and curious simultanously..

I bounce every morning just before neigong exercises it logs me on the autonomous breath cycle and can be transported through the neigong into spontaneous qigong or just plain horse stance energetic workout.

What was you talking about? Something different?

this reply makes me feel slightly dense and curious simultanously..

I bounce every morning just before neigong exercises it logs me on the autonomous breath cycle and can be transported through the neigong into spontaneous qigong or just plain horse stance energetic workout.

What was you talking about? Something different?

I put in bold your words that say what I am talking about. Don't have to leave rebounder to do this. In addition to Stillness-Movement neigong I also do movement qigong (several of the Gift of the Tao movements) while rebounding as well. Got to love rebounding.

Although always better to learn something from a teacher, I must say Geoff Pikes "The Power of Chi" is a great resource on a set of Eight Brocades he learned from a teacher in the Phililpines when he was undergoing radiotherapy, he credits this practice as helping him to recover faster from the radiation - Also interesting that the original edition also mentions some interesting stories that are not included in later editions, very interesting - I would also recommend Stuart Olson's "Teachings of a taoist immortal" for another version of the Eight Brocades (Eight Silken Forms) which are connected with Li Chun Yin, a variation that is done in a seated position, which also incorporated hitting and slapping as a warm up to "loosen" the channels before the actual qigong. I'm hoping some of the bums with more experience can comment on these 2 works, since at least in my small experience, these simple practices have had a profound experience with me over the years, I find myself going back to these practices as time goes on.

Cheers,

Rene'