Stigweard

The 1st International Summit on Laozi and Daoist Culture

Sorry to say, it was an academic conference and I believe the xing shen zhuang in my presentation was the only 'demonstration' on the agenda. There were hundreds of practicing Daoists from different sects at the conference. I heard one from Spain give a talk, but he offered no demonstrations of techniques. He spoke about the temple he had created in Spain and the need for more temples around the world. So, other than XSZ -- there were no demonstrations I saw, at least not in B conference room....:)

JessinChina

I see. It was no doubt interesting to get the academic perspective at any rate.

Thanks again for posting and Happy New Year to you as well!

Best wishes...

:)

Hi all, just posted Part II on the Conference with pictures -- which didn't show up in the cut and paste here. If you want to read it in the blog, with photos go to: http://jessgoestochina.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

Happy New Year...

Cheers Jess :) I remember you telling me about the lass who made the chopstick vs knife / fork argument and I was a little shocked myself when I was turned away from Room A. I can't help wondering how on earth we will get past all this bigotry (which mind you was present from both sides of the fence.)

@Iskote Yes it was pretty much academic all round with Jess being the welcomed oasis amongst it all. For me the best part was meeting and networking with the caliber of folks present.

Hi All,

Part III of the Beijing Daoism Conference has been posted on my blog. If you're interested you can read it here:

http://jessgoestochina.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=454538386 I'd cut and paste, but then you'd not see the pix - some are nice. This entry is about our trip through Henan with the other delegates.

Happy New Year of the Tiger.

Warm Regards,

Jessinchina

It's everywhere as you say, on both sides. Hopefully, we rise above it. My best to you all.

Jessinchina

Cheers Jess :) I remember you telling me about the lass who made the chopstick vs knife / fork argument and I was a little shocked myself when I was turned away from Room A. I can't help wondering how on earth we will get past all this bigotry (which mind you was present from both sides of the fence.)

@Iskote Yes it was pretty much academic all round with Jess being the welcomed oasis amongst it all. For me the best part was meeting and networking with the caliber of folks present.

It's everywhere as you say, on both sides. Hopefully, we rise above it. My best to you all.

Jessinchina

Hahah! Great shot:

pix.bus.dao.conf..jpg

From left: Lionel (French Political Sciences professor), Vicky (LA producer), Kimberly (Kimberly, an American studying in Paris), Gregory (a qi gong student and Brit), ME !!, Jessica

IMG_3375.JPG

Statue of Laozi at Luyi, the purported birthplace

IMG_3366.JPG

That would me in the centre praying like mad that I don't screw up my "surprise" presentation at the press conference :D

IMG_3368.JPG

Daoist Author Michael Winn

IMG_3386.JPG

Laozi, Father of Daoism

IMG_3397.JPG

Some our of delegates and handlers from the conference at Longmen.

Great images Jess ... Cheers for this :D

Glad you like them Stig. Great time. What an adventure.

My best to you and yours,

Happy New Year of the Tiger.

JessinChina

Hahah! Great shot:

pix.bus.dao.conf..jpg

From left: Lionel (French Political Sciences professor), Vicky (LA producer), Kimberly (Kimberly, an American studying in Paris), Gregory (a qi gong student and Brit), ME !!, Jessica

IMG_3375.JPG

Statue of Laozi at Luyi, the purported birthplace

IMG_3366.JPG

That would me in the centre praying like mad that I don't screw up my "surprise" presentation at the press conference :D

IMG_3368.JPG

Daoist Author Michael Winn

IMG_3386.JPG

Laozi, Father of Daoism

IMG_3397.JPG

Some our of delegates and handlers from the conference at Longmen.

Great images Jess ... Cheers for this :D

Nice pic. But goodness, that was the bus ride from hell! 16 hours!!

MATE !!!! :D

Great to see you here amongst the Bums!

Yup that bus trip kinda tore a hole in the trip for alot of people. Even that crazy clown Aussie was glad to see the end of it. Couldn't believe that after all that (arriving at what was it ... 1am or something?) we had to sit through yet another banquet ... noooo! >.<

All good though ;)