Stigweard

The 1st International Summit on Laozi and Daoist Culture

Cool, I wonder if Findley or one of our China 'bums will be getting to this one. Would be intresting to hear what they talk about.

Any other links? I'm only finding TTB and a Twitter where someone got an invite.

Cool, I wonder if Findley or one of our China 'bums will be getting to this one. Would be intresting to hear what they talk about.

Any other links? I'm only finding TTB and a Twitter where someone got an invite.

If I can raise the funds for the airfare I will be going across. One of our new bums, Jessinchina, put me onto it (I think it was her invite on Twitter). Jess will be definately attending as she is one of the presenters. I am sure she will give us an expose on it seeing she has a journalist background.

:D

Jessinchina, put me onto it (I think it was her invite on Twitter).

Yes that was the one :) small wwworld.

It will certainly be interesting to see what the current Chinese political thinking is on these topics.

Part of my invitation requirements to this event is to compose and present a 5-10 page academic paper that is in tune with the overall theme of the Summit.

I am choosing to write about the challenges we modern Western Daoists face in getting to the "heart" of Daoist Culture and what solutions could be found to overcome these obstacles. So....

"If you were standing in front of a hundred or so of leading Daoist teachers and luminaries from China and across the globe and you had five minutes to give your suggestions on how they could make the authentic Daoist teachings more accessible to us in the West, exactly what would you say?"

I would love your contributions to this so that I can represent us all as best as I can.

WHOAOAAAA !!! :wacko:

I AM SO THERE !!! HOW EXCITING !!! THIS IS SO AWESOME !! I'LL GOOGLE IT RIGHT NOW !!

hey !! can anyone give me any contact information, (JessinChina??))

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH for posting this !!!!!!!!!!!

A quick pop in folks ... now at the Trader Hotel in Beijing after a few days exploring the sites (great wall, forbidden city, summer palace, jingshan park etc). Have just registered for the conference with the main event starting tomorrow at The Great Hall of the People (opening ceremony, banquet etc etc ;) )

The line up of dignitaries is impressive indeed including Livia Kohn and Michael Winn.

I will use this thread as kind of a journal over the next couple of days. Then its off to Zhengzhou for a sacred sites tour. Will be going on from there to Wudangshan. Interesting enough it looks like I have to accompany a Wudang master back to the mountain :P

Stay tuned :D

Chuang Tzu said in these times of the fallen Tao (made that up!) the best we can do is take care of our families. I guess that's "Taoist culture"?

Also do any of the monasteries have bird "pests" because one of the Tibetan monasteries in India has installed ultrasound devices to keep birds away. Not very Taoist is it? haha.

Part of my invitation requirements to this event is to compose and present a 5-10 page academic paper that is in tune with the overall theme of the Summit.

I am choosing to write about the challenges we modern Western Daoists face in getting to the "heart" of Daoist Culture and what solutions could be found to overcome these obstacles. So....

"If you were standing in front of a hundred or so of leading Daoist teachers and luminaries from China and across the globe and you had five minutes to give your suggestions on how they could make the authentic Daoist teachings more accessible to us in the West, exactly what would you say?"

I would love your contributions to this so that I can represent us all as best as I can.

Someone needs ask the question of 'why not use the internet's broadcasting ability to harness the minds of the world into one mind focused and aware.'

A quick pop in folks ... now at the Trader Hotel in Beijing after a few days exploring the sites (great wall, forbidden city, summer palace, jingshan park etc). Have just registered for the conference with the main event starting tomorrow at The Great Hall of the People (opening ceremony, banquet etc etc ;) )

The line up of dignitaries is impressive indeed including Livia Kohn and Michael Winn.

I will use this thread as kind of a journal over the next couple of days. Then its off to Zhengzhou for a sacred sites tour. Will be going on from there to Wudangshan. Interesting enough it looks like I have to accompany a Wudang master back to the mountain :P

Stay tuned :D

Look forward to your reports --

and, most importantly, have a great time! :)

Update:

Very interesting day. 7:00 am start to The Great Hall of the People. If they built and decorated it to impress people they well and truly succeed because I was IMPRESSED.

The opeing ceremony was eye-opening and 'interesting'. Basically the PRC has now fairly much officially endorsed Daoism as the national religion. The official presentations were a mix of Daoist priests and adherents as well as party-line professors. So it was a mix of Daoist heart with PRC rhetoric, which I have to admit I found a little jarring, but that could have just been a personal thing.

The banquet that followed was a sumptuous and never-ending array of traditional delicacies with toasts all round with our Chinese table mates. Fortunately we had our new friend Jessica Sommars (Yang family student who has also trained briefly with David Verdessi). The art lining the walls in the banquet room was awesome, I will be sure to post pics when I get home.

First round of seminars this afternoon were once again 'interesting'. Topics included:

* Desire in the Daodejing

* The Moral Fool: A Daoist Alternative to Morality

* Daoist Culture and Human Civilization in the 21st Century

* A Discussion of the two Qi's in the first chapter of the Daodejing (actually very interesting)

* Zhuangzi's Polished Mirror

* The Shamanic Influence on Early Daoism

* Max Weber and Dao

* Chinese Ancient Psycho-analysis (Bazi)

* Daoism and Climate Change

My favorites: Desire, The Moral Fool, and the Two Qi's discussions. Hopefully I will get full copies of all the papers and will make them available.

Overall the sentiment is good and uplifting. I am making some excellent connections, for instance tonight I dined with Michael Winn (quite a character) and I have arranged a personal interview with Livia Kohn. I will be very interested to discern more about where the fundamental intent of the project is pointing.

Stay tuned now :D

My favorites: Desire, The Moral Fool, and the Two Qi's discussions. Hopefully I will get full copies of all the papers and will make them available.

That would be great if you could manage that.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are having a great time.

Peace & Love!

That would be great if you could manage that.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are having a great time.

Peace & Love!

Seconded.

Wonder what it means if Daoism is the official religion in a communist (still) country.(?)

Edited by apepch7

Guest artform

Seconded.

Wonder what it means if Daoism is the official religion in a communist (still) country.(?)

Thirded! :D

This is so important.

Missed this thread until now. :(

Way past time to post ideas for your paper, however, curious to know if there are any people/papers there looking into:

1. Tao practices and neuroplasticity on the one hand, and

2. Tao and the quantum activities, levels of consciousness and action at a distance, and

3. Tao with quantum brain (microtubules et al) involvement in neuroplasticity, intentional neural development, and the like.

Have fun Stig!!!

all the best way

artform

Edited by artform

Wait up, is this in English? Or fairly simple Chinese? I didn't try to go because I figured at my level of Chinese I'd be drowning in a sea of chengyu and shumianyu being issued by party functionaries, professors, and priests. If it's comprehensible... Shoot, I have tomorrow afternoon and Saturday free. Any chance non-invitees can come listen to the lectures? If you could send me a text or call me, I'd greatly appreciate it... Sent you a PM.

Update:

Big day of lectures ... haven't got all the topics on hand sorry. Highlights though included Daoyin demonstrations, TCM exposes, Daoist priests' perspectives, plus a whole gamit of Dao and relationships, economics, and East / West issues.

Off to Zhengzhou in the morning for the sacred sites tour (not sure what that will entail exactly), then off to Wudangshan :)

Will be out of contact possibly until we get to Shang Hai.

Seconded.

This has some 'interesting' connotations indeed. Not sure how pervasive this 'officialdom' will be within the PRC or whether it was just some passionate speaking. Quote unquote it is all a part of the "revitalisation of China". Read into that what you will.

The bottom line though is that the distinct and enforced impression we got was that Daoism will be an integral element within China's participation within the global community.

The general feeling of the summit is a sense of "what now?" There was talk of opening up Daoism more in an official capacity. More passionate speech? What form will this take? Mentions where made of Laozi and Daoist Culture Institutes across the world. Time will tell I guess.

I would hope they shoot for clarity & quality over quantity overall. Frankly, I don't think Taoism is well-suited for the masses, even in China. Because it requires a lot of long, solitary practice based on subtle awareness and esoteric concepts. Most people simply do not have the time nor patience for that. So, I'd hate to see it diluted or over-commercialized just to gain wider acceptance...

But a good way to start paving the road for this would to set up an institute to compile & translate more of the Taoist canon into English. Particularly all the alchemical classics and texts. Right now, we have a lot of philosophical, over-intellectualized academic and pop Taoism here. But little in the way of authentic, alchemical "how-to" manuals (similar to Taoist Yoga). The meaty "folk art" part is left out... We talk a lot ABOUT it, but actually DO very little of it. So, we need less talk of, and far more "HOW TO DO?"

So in conjunction, perhaps we could also have some visiting masters come here on some workshop tours. This could help transmit teachings accurately firsthand, while also helping to raise some funds for future development...

Eventually, maybe they could even build some "goodwill" Taoist temples here - similar to various Buddhist or Shaolin USA "temples." Ideally (if there was sufficient funding), these sites would even be built or adapted according to "Taoist" feng shui, while incorporating hi-tech and green technology. Essentially, to be more than just meeting halls, but also "sacred sites" located at powerful spots. And living/educational monuments to Taoist philosophy.

I think that's further down the line, though. Right now, Taoists are still a tiny minority here and we're not even close to a critical mass tipping point for large-scale building projects. So, I think simply developing quality Taoist content for the web and workshops would probably be the most effective course of action at this preliminary stage. Induct some sincere people here to enter the stream...and go from there...

Edited by vortex

Awesome report, Stig!!!

I'm grateful that Taoism is becoming more than just a tourist attraction!

Chia around?

Tao Toe,

Yoda

Update:

Currently housed in a 5-star hotel in Zhengzhou city, capital of Henan province. The bus trip here was GRUELING indeed! An 8-9 hour road trip was stretched out to 17hrs due to traffic jams and then wrong turns and backtracking as the drivers tried to get around through the backroads (saw some damn interesting sites though on the way). We got to our hotel at 2:00am only to be met with an official welcome and a massive banquet in our honor O.o

Yesturday was a big trip out to Louyi city, the heralded birthplace of Laozi. After yet another massive lunch banquet we were shuttled in to a mini-summit / conference. Noone was really prepared for this and especially we were not prepared to be asked for speakers from the international delegates. Funnily enough the organizers threw a request my way to speak for 5 or so minutes (I wonder how they got the impression that I love to talk :lol: ) So here is little ol' me who really was a "street-kid Daoist" compared to the other dignitaries sitting side-by-side with communist party members representing the Western Daoist world :D I took the opportunity to give a very summarized version of my paper that I wrote and told them how damn wonderful they all were for putting on the event (they kinda liked that ;) )

Then it was off to the Laozi temple for a quick visit (many of the folks felt it was much too quick). It was really nice though with group photos and the opportunity to light incense at the official Laozi shrine and pay my benedictions.

Today was off to Louyang to see the Longmen Grottoes, an incredibly impressive Buddhist sacred site where over 10 million Buddha statues of all sized from the very small (5-10cm) to the very large (4-5 stories) had been carved into the rocks along the stretch of the river. Like I said very impressive. Then to top it off Page, a lass from LA who teaches Taiji, and I did some Taiji together in front of the biggest statue (I got some vid of that so I will post it up when I get the chance).

On the bus home I had the great good fortune of doing an hour long interview with Michael Winn of http://www.healingtaousa.com It was an awesome interview with some really meaty stuff being discussed. I will post it up with the raw audio (low quality as it was on my iPhone and the bus noise was distorting things a bit).

Not sure what's on tomorrow but you can betcha it will be accompanied by yet another sumptuous feast (I'm gonna have to go on a diet when I get home :lol: ).