Sign in to follow this  
Eviander

Jaw clenching..a epidemic bad habit?

So anyways..I noticed this in myself quite awhile ago and took up some practice in personal yoga..which hasn't really done much. What I am noticing though is a almost rote tendency for me to suck in my stomach or dan tien ( believe) and clench my jaw from sex appeal/t.v programming. I notice this also with many people while in the mall or school ect. Anyways I could go into detail..but I tried some asanas for this purpose and I always undo it because of masochistic habit (a peculair human tendency). Anyways I was looking for some exercises that are specific to jaw/clenching /dan tien or stomach sucking in. Since this seem to be my major problem..whatever asanas I am doing now do not help very much..and some discussion on this and practices to undo it would be helpful.

• Like 1

A small smile, and belly breathing.

:)

Quite effortless and effective..will have to make that habitual.other helpful exercises would also be appreciated.

have you tried exercizing it the other way? stretching the jaw by opening wide on all sides and the front, should help relieve some tension just as strecthing would in other muscles that feel wound up. this is something that is suggested to people with bruxism (teeth grinding)

:)

Quite effortless and effective..will have to make that habitual.other helpful exercises would also be appreciated.

• Like 1

So anyways..I noticed this in myself quite awhile ago and took up some practice in personal yoga..which hasn't really done much. What I am noticing though is a almost rote tendency for me to suck in my stomach or dan tien ( believe) and clench my jaw from sex appeal/t.v programming. I notice this also with many people while in the mall or school ect. Anyways I could go into detail..but I tried some asanas for this purpose and I always undo it because of masochistic habit (a peculair human tendency). Anyways I was looking for some exercises that are specific to jaw/clenching /dan tien or stomach sucking in. Since this seem to be my major problem..whatever asanas I am doing now do not help very much..and some discussion on this and practices to undo it would be helpful.

do the bridge (Setubadha Sarvangasana) and during the pose relax your breathing, release tension in the neck and jaw. When you do the bridge, you'll find yourself straining in all three areas. Simply relax and breath slow and easy....close your eyes and stay there for a few minutes. You'll find that if you relax and you can hold the pose longer...

also as scotty said - smile and belly breathing (albeit too much belly breathing can permanently distend your abdomen, as I found out).

Is there any possibility that you are having automatic uddiyana bandha and jaladhara bandha happening? Jalandhara isn't really jaw "clenching" but it does involve some of the same muscles....and what you are describing about the sucking in of the belly sounds pretty much exactly like uddiyana bandha. What makes you feel this is such a "bad" thing that needs to be stopped?

Love,

Carson :D

have you tried exercizing it the other way? stretching the jaw by opening wide on all sides and the front, should help relieve some tension just as strecthing would in other muscles that feel wound up. this is something that is suggested to people with bruxism (teeth grinding)

Yes..but when I look in the mirror I tend to undo it..actually I remember clenching my jaw and holding in my stomach in high school in front of the mirror to try to get girls.

do the bridge (Setubadha Sarvangasana) and during the pose relax your breathing, release tension in the neck and jaw. When you do the bridge, you'll find yourself straining in all three areas. Simply relax and breath slow and easy....close your eyes and stay there for a few minutes. You'll find that if you relax and you can hold the pose longer...

also as scotty said - smile and belly breathing (albeit too much belly breathing can permanently distend your abdomen, as I found out).

Thanks for the pose..that one hits the spots a bit better than the whole routine I have been doing.

Is there any possibility that you are having automatic uddiyana bandha and jaladhara bandha happening? Jalandhara isn't really jaw "clenching" but it does involve some of the same muscles....and what you are describing about the sucking in of the belly sounds pretty much exactly like uddiyana bandha. What makes you feel this is such a "bad" thing that needs to be stopped?

Love,

Carson :D

No it's not this. I actually remember intentionally lowering my jaw and sucking in my stomach to look more sexually appealing ( though I'm realizing now that it actually does not look healthy).

ruben-cortada-male-model-10.jpg

Edited by Eviander

That's interesting that you mention it as an epidemic bad habit...I do it and the dentist insisted I needed a dental guard for sleeping, and many people I know have needed one as well, it seems to be a very common "epidemic" these days. Wonder why, it's such a common thing these days.

(albeit too much belly breathing can permanently distend your abdomen, as I found out).

Yes, it can. It's better to breathe very gently into all sides of the abdomen, not just the front.

So the pic is supposed to be sexually appealing?? To who(m) exactly?

This is OT so skip and maybe rethread if it happens:

More seriously (as it seems I often say;-)) it would seem that now it's young MEN (joining the ranks of young women) who have body-image issues and resort to some pretty out there practices like steroids, gym-bunnyism, shit like that.

To be sure, I'm seeing way more pumped teens than when I was at school. We were all seriously pale and gawky then. I sometimes wonder if they feel it's worth it.

• Like 1

Bruxism- 3 solutions/ideas

1) Hypnotherapy (suggestive, no need for regressive)

You can even do self-hypnosis with free internet scripts (google bruxism and hypnosis), but it is best to work in yr personal situation (ex: personal image stuff, yoga restritions, etc)

2) Botox 4-8 units each masseter (depending on strength of clench)

Usually provides 3-6 months of relief; at that point the body may have naturally reestablished new neuroplasticity and relaxation or you can repeat

3) Boris Prilutsky Medical Massage for TMJ Video (I am not sure if he ever released this on DVD)

This is basically botox without botox and the added benefit of more range of motion, fascial lengthening.

Great if you can get a copy (maybe contact him through his site and see if any are available)

Of course other solutions exist energetically... B)

Edited by Kameel

I have that too.. us 'Vitta' types (Ayurvedic constitution for overactive mind) tend to hold tension in the jaw. belly breathing, of course, but yet the awareness of relaxation in the areas of tension. during meditation just notice where there is tension and focus there for the purpose of 'letting go' and relaxing that tension. also, keep the tongue lightly on the roof of the mouth to help energy move down from the jaw, down the front of the bod, to the lower dan tien. I think jaw tension is usually reflective of a throat chakra blockage.

• Like 1

So the pic is supposed to be sexually appealing?? To who(m) exactly?

This is OT so skip and maybe rethread if it happens:

More seriously (as it seems I often say;-)) it would seem that now it's young MEN (joining the ranks of young women) who have body-image issues and resort to some pretty out there practices like steroids, gym-bunnyism, shit like that.

To be sure, I'm seeing way more pumped teens than when I was at school. We were all seriously pale and gawky then. I sometimes wonder if they feel it's worth it.

Hey..its basically because girls I was attracted to used to call me fat...I still am a teenager though (19)..and became anorexic because of it. I actually wasn't fat at all though..I had the whole Buddha look (baby cheeks and a protruding belly.) I wanted to look like the "sexy men" on tv..but of course..I learned the hard way that it's not sexy nor healthy..now I suffer from a programmed habit.

Bruxism- 3 solutions/ideas

1) Hypnotherapy (suggestive, no need for regressive)

You can even do self-hypnosis with free internet scripts (google bruxism and hypnosis), but it is best to work in yr personal situation (ex: personal image stuff, yoga restritions, etc)

2) Botox 4-8 units each masseter (depending on strength of clench)

Usually provides 3-6 months of relief; at that point the body may have naturally reestablished new neuroplasticity and relaxation or you can repeat

3) Boris Prilutsky Medical Massage for TMJ Video (I am not sure if he ever released this on DVD)

This is basically botox without botox and the added benefit of more range of motion, fascial lengthening.

Great if you can get a copy (maybe contact him through his site and see if any are available)

Of course other solutions exist energetically... B)

Thanks for the suggestions..I will google some hypnotherapy for bruxism..since based on your post, you are not aware of any sites or torrents concerning body image/bruxism hypnotherapy.

As for the other two..I am only 19..I can't afford it and wouldn't go that route anyways..

I am aware there are many energetic Taoist or Hindu methods to cure this problem..which is why I posted this on this forum..Taoist practices are just so discreet in the west..and my google searches did not bring me any good results..which is why I came here.

I have that too.. us 'Vitta' types (Ayurvedic constitution for overactive mind) tend to hold tension in the jaw. belly breathing, of course, but yet the awareness of relaxation in the areas of tension. during meditation just notice where there is tension and focus there for the purpose of 'letting go' and relaxing that tension. also, keep the tongue lightly on the roof of the mouth to help energy move down from the jaw, down the front of the bod, to the lower dan tien. I think jaw tension is usually reflective of a throat chakra blockage.

I will start to do this..but I have been having some mental problems which deter me from meditating for to long..in fact I just tried a simple meditation sitting in the swastikasana posture doing breathing with my tongue on my upper palate this morning..though since I am new to yoga it gets uncomfortable fairly easy and my mind wonders after counting..and it gets boring (beginner at meditation to) I guess concerning this aspect, practice makes the better man..but some helpful hints on such meditations or new methods of meditation would also be appreciated.

Also , If anyone is interested..I just ordered A 5 dvd/cd/booklet set By Dr. Hyatt called "Radical undoing yourself..which is said to turn tension into beneficial energy...which will hopefully somewhat alleviate my problem

Radical undoing yourself

That's interesting that you mention it as an epidemic bad habit...I do it and the dentist insisted I needed a dental guard for sleeping, and many people I know have needed one as well, it seems to be a very common "epidemic" these days. Wonder why, it's such a common thing these days.

It is common because it is practiced by models and actors and musicians in the mass media.

Here is an example of a fairly relaxed image of heath ledger before his clenching

heathLedger.jpg

Then Heath ledger trying to be "sexy"

heath-ledger.jpg

It is indeed..a very bad habit. And a mental sickness to say the least..that is hard to unbreak from my torturous experience with it.

It is common because it is practiced by models and actors and musicians in the mass media.

I'm a woman who does it, and i know many other adults who are not trying to be sexy who have problems with worn down teeth from it, I don't believe it is so common because of models and actors doing it, I believe it is common because as a society we are really stressed out. Heath was a stress case himself. Perhaps you do it because you are stressed about your appearance. Kids do it in their sleep as a stress release, without any thoughts to their appearance, they grind their teeth unconsciously. I clench my teeth because i am stressed and not breathing properly, part of my mindfulness practise is to focus on softening my jaw muscles, which instantly brings to my awareness how stressed I am. Image/body issues is one of many things people are stressed out by, but also noise/light/media pollution, consumerism and resulting financial stress, the plague of the nucleasr family structure, workoholicsm, in children the pressure to perform, the stresses of their parents. These things are what i think are causing it to be epidemic in people of all ages and genders.

• Like 1

I'm a woman who does it, and i know many other adults who are not trying to be sexy who have problems with worn down teeth from it, I don't believe it is so common because of models and actors doing it, I believe it is common because as a society we are really stressed out. Heath was a stress case himself. Perhaps you do it because you are stressed about your appearance. Kids do it in their sleep as a stress release, without any thoughts to their appearance, they grind their teeth unconsciously.

i've had a teeth grinding problem ever since I was a kid! now through meditation I've realized just how much tension is kept in the jaws. usually the emotions anger/sadness are repressed....which are symptomatic of a heart blockage.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2009 at 0:59 PM, Eviander said:

It is extremely easy to eliminate that bad habit.   Make it a habit to open your jaws slightly and stick the tip of your tongue between your front teeth, during daily activities and during meditation.  Focus on relaxing all the muscles in your face, including all the small muscles around your eyers.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 2

surprised nobody mentioned the possibility of mineral deficiency....take your Bs, C, and magnesium....

• Like 1

IMO,.... It is stress related...  some call it life.  In a word, smile... or in energy words, an inner smile.  or in universal words, an outer smile to the world. 

Sign in to follow this