Sign in to follow this  
Iyoiyo

Instant karma :)

I was ripped off $160 by a guy I met recently. I started to think of all the ways I could back at him, and of all the reasons that he was a terrible person. But then I realized he wasn't a terrible person and it would be best to let it go (for a number reasons, but they're really all the same reason in a way). So I left, without getting angry-- and I was rather pleased with that turn of events.

The next day a book was pulled from one of my classes and I got a $169 dollar refund from the bookstore, which I'm likewise rather pleased about.

So that's that, for what it's worth. I felt like posting it.

That's awesome. :) Reminds me to maintain my anger before reacting cuz we never know what's going to happen.

This also reminds me of a documentary I saw on Mark Twain. One bit was on his house being built, and on one particular day a million things were going wrong during construction, but after the work day was over, Mr. Twain was glowing over the fact that he did not lose his temper even once! :)

Edited by hyok

Sometimes, genuinely forgiving someone who has seriously wronged you is the worst punishment you can give them, like a karmic rubber band being cut, and snapping back in their face.

So that's that, for what it's worth. I felt like posting it.

It was, IMO, very well worth posting.

Thanks for sharing.

Happy Trails!

Nice story! It brings up a quick question if you don't mind? I'm very new to the study of Daoism, having spent much time recently in the study of Buddhism...do daoists believe in karma or is it being used figure of speech?

Nice story! It brings up a quick question if you don't mind? I'm very new to the study of Daoism, having spent much time recently in the study of Buddhism...do daoists believe in karma or is it being used figure of speech?

Good question Pax. I will present my understanding.

No, we (or at least I) don't believe in karma the way Buddhists do. However, the concept of universal Chi is similar in some ways to karma in that if we add to the positivity of Chi it is more likely that we will be later effected by this positivity, if it is built on by others, at a later point in time.

Happy Trails!

Good question Pax. I will present my understanding.

No, we (or at least I) don't believe in karma the way Buddhists do. However, the concept of universal Chi is similar in some ways to karma in that if we add to the positivity of Chi it is more likely that we will be later effected by this positivity, if it is built on by others, at a later point in time.

Happy Trails!

Thanks Marblehead, interesting distinction. I've got a lot to learn.

Thanks Marblehead, interesting distinction. I've got a lot to learn.

You're welcome. Don't listen to just me though - you will get only one view that way. And hey, I might be wrong. Hehehe.

Happy Trails!

I was using it for a figure of speech. I suppose I don't believe in karma. Nonetheless (to me at least) the patterns of existence appear rather "karma like" if you get what I mean. This explanation is probably only clear to me-- but I think it's fairly close to what Marblehead said too.

Edited by Iyoiyo

I was using it for a figure of speech. I suppose I don't believe in karma. Nonetheless (to me at least) the patterns of existence appear rather "karma like" if you get what I mean. This explanation is probably only clear to me-- but I think it's fairly close to what Marblehead said too.

Thank you Iyoiyo, that makes sense to me. The more I studied Buddhism, the more I realized it wasn't my path, when I started reading about Daoism I had a huge "AH HA" moment...however I still find myself using terms/ideas from Buddhism like "karma", it seems as good a word as any. :)

Sign in to follow this