Baguakid

Inside vs Outside Qigong Practice

Some say it's very important, in fact Critical, to practice qigong outside. Others say either is fine.

I live in Florida now where there are bugs, thunderstorms, rain, and every other natural annoyance. Before, when I lived in California, practicing outside was easy. Cool breezes, no bugs, nice.

So, if it is indeed critical, how would one overcome the natural annoyances of non-California locations?

Opinions?

So, if it is indeed critical, how would one overcome the natural annoyances of non-California locations?

Opinions?

Move back to California? :lol::lol:

A case can certainly be made for outdoor practice. However, I think a case can also be made for indoor practice. IMO, there is no bad, either indoor or outside. I tend to practice sitting style more indoors and movement style more outdoors.

YES! I feel your pain. I moved from San Diego back to Tennessee and mosquitos ate me alive. I'm in Louisville now and the mosquitos wait until we start doing push hands to begin to bite. We have to take regular breaks to apply bug repellent, but it doesn't seem to work. Smoke seems to be the best repellent.

Anyway, I would say try outdoors when it is pleasant and then go indoors. I think your state of mind is the most important. If you're out there pissed because that humid smell before it rains in the south is bothering you, or mosquitos and chiggers are eating you that you're probably not going to get the most out of your practice.

I don't know how your schedule is, but right now it is really pleasant outside. If you have time from about 6:00- 9:00 am it is usually pretty nice outside and the bugs are still sleeping....well, the ones that bite.

Oh yeah, I want to move back out west after I finish school, too. I'm thinking about the Bay, Southern Cal, or Seattle.

Unfortunately I have a 12 hour day away from home (travel to work 1+ hour and the same home)..

For Bagua practice it doesn't matter. Usually I move enough to keep the bugs away from me but for standing or sitting meditation, especially sitting. Outside on the ground is nearly impossible (oh, I forgot about ants)..

Winter will be coming soon which brings cooler weather and no mosquitoes but it gets dark early in winter. I do have a screened in porch but some have told me even sitting on concrete (not directly) still does not have the same benefit of sitting directly on the ground.

I love the California coast and nearly everything else but the cost of living. Man, when can we have Air Houses... that float in the air... lol

I sometimes wonder if I'm doing myself any good with outside. Risk mosquito born disease or expose myself to insect repellent or burning mozzie coils :blink::lol: As long as it's comfortable I go outside. But if not I practice inside in fresh air or even air conditioning!

I've only been told to avoid practicing in places that just don't feel "good" Sometimes it's a good idea to do a blessing or ask for protection, it is up to how you feel.

I've only been told to avoid practicing in places that just don't feel "good" Sometimes it's a good idea to do a blessing or ask for protection, it is up to how you feel.

Good advice!

Wow

Sitting here in England either in the pouring rain, gale force winds or freezing cold I often wish I was in the states. Anywhere in the states.

I guess the grass is always greener?

What about working near running water? I seem to recall bugs don't hang about near moving water?

Or is that just a fallacy spread by the more insidious, evil, conniving bugs?

I also live in the windy and rainy uk. I often feel like practicing outside in the wind and rain. The only reason that I dont is that I have read in many different places not to practice in the wind or rain. Can anyone give the exact reason why this is a bad idea?

The only reason that I dont is that I have read in many different places not to practice in the wind or rain. Can anyone give the exact reason why this is a bad idea?

If you sweat, cold wind can enter the body and cause illness, but doesn't always...according to TCM.

What about working near running water? I seem to recall bugs don't hang about near moving water?

Or is that just a fallacy spread by the more insidious, evil, conniving bugs?

I wouldn't rely too much on that factor...

Generally, the higher you go, and away from vegetation, the less bugs there are. Even just 100' of elevation could make a huge difference. That is probably one reason why ancient Taoists chose mountain caves for meditation.

What about meditating on a 2nd (or higher) story, though? Does that diminish your rooting and connection to the yin Earth?

What about meditating on a 2nd (or higher) story, though? Does that diminish your rooting and connection to the yin Earth?

I have done some very powerful Stillness-Movement on airplanes.

and then just practice in the rain and storms like a badass.

I actually enjoy rain and even thunderstorms as long as the rain isn't cold. But thats probably a childhood thing. I grew up where it didn't rain that much you could really feel those afternoon storms building up all day and look forward to the rain.

I also like windy but again, as long as it's not enough to get cold. Cyclones, not really any fun to practice in feels a bit err unstable? :(