Sign in to follow this  
October Gray

Taoism and Anarchy

Two words...

Damn straight.

I've been an anarchist longer than I've been a Taoist. I've only been a Taoist since I was about 16 years old... I'd say I could be counted as an anarchist since I was 8. I was 6 when I realized that, philosophically, I was on my own.

Edit: Speeling, type-Os

Edited by River Gazer

Hi October Gray,

Nice article and valid arguements within.

I will suggest that Lao Tzu really wasn't an anarchist though. He did see a place for government in society.

Now Chuang Tzu, on the other hand, detested government and would have been the ideal anarchist.

I do suggest that there need be a central point within all societies in order to have cohesion within the society but then I also agree with the concept that the more laws a government makes the more criminals there will be. So, just as with most things, moderation is key.

As far as the military goes, any society should have some means of defending itself. If you have a good defensive force there really is no need for an offensive force. And this will allow for more societies to leave one another alone.

Happy Trails!

Edit to add:

Hi River Gazer,

Why wasn't I suprised to see you post to this thread? Hehehe. (I have been reading you.)

Happy Trails!

Edited by Marblehead

Some, including me if I've gained any reputation, believe that Chaung Tsu actually created Lao Tsu and the Tao Te Ching, basically and a user-friendly version of his thoughts.

Does Lao Tsu not seem a bit too mythical?

---------

Edit:

Also, thanks marbehead :D

Edited by River Gazer

Some, including me if I've gained any reputation, believe that Chaung Tsu actually created Lao Tsu and the Tao Te Ching, basically and a user-friendly version of his thoughts.

Does Lao Tsu not seem a bit too mythical?

---------

Edit:

Also, thanks marbehead :D

Yes, that is a valid arguement and I have heard it before. But I don't accept it because I have made Lao Tzu a part of my reality so for me he was just as real as I am.

Chuang Tzu was a great story teller. No doubt about that. And I will agree, Lao Tzu does sometimes appear to be too real to be real. But that, IMO, a part of his beauty.

Happy Trails!

I'm not entirely sure what happened... you might have mis-read what i was saying...

Hehehe. Don't worry about it. It's just the way I am.

Sometimes I don't want to speak directly to a previous post so I just say what I want to say. You well get used to my ways after a short while.

Happy Trails!

Love it!

I have always been a believer in "True Anarchy", as opposed to "gutter-punk anarchy" or whatever most/many people view anarchy/anarchists as.....My definition of "True Anarchy" is "exercising self control and mutual respect". If everyone lived by these "virtues/values" there would be no need for a controlling government/police system etc....ideally ;)

Love,

Carson :D

Taoist Anarchy is a fantastic ideal, but given the complexity of modernity and its weapons, it becomes romanticism more than a possible reality.

Ah, such friendly posts. I thought I may be stepping on some toes here, but I'm glad to see how accepting these reactions are.

I do have to agree with Nanashi, sadly enough. Though it seems to make a lot of sense and really appeal to me, I believe it's more a dream than a reality that may one day come true...

XP River Gazer, I get the feeling we may have a lot in common.

my opinion is that: a daoist per se needs to respect alot more laws than your average joe.

especially because they are not man-made, but the expression of tao and nature...

I do have to agree with Nanashi, sadly enough. Though it seems to make a lot of sense and really appeal to me, I believe it's more a dream than a reality that may one day come true...

Well, sure, because the world is so over-populated with humans today. Remember, Loa Tzu wrote 2500 years ago when over-population was not an issue and I think that his ideal was still possible.

Happy Trails!

my opinion is that: a daoist per se needs to respect alot more laws than your average joe.

especially because they are not man-made, but the expression of tao and nature...

Good point. And I would agree in general. Thing is, we still have our free will. When man started making his laws our free will became limited.

Happy Trails!

Love it!

I have always been a believer in "True Anarchy", as opposed to "gutter-punk anarchy" or whatever most/many people view anarchy/anarchists as.....My definition of "True Anarchy" is "exercising self control and mutual respect". If everyone lived by these "virtues/values" there would be no need for a controlling government/police system etc....ideally ;)

Love,

Carson :D

touche carson. i believe true anarchy would work... if all people would be accountable for their own actions, and i dont think that is likely to happen anytime soon :rolleyes:

touche carson. i believe true anarchy would work... if all people would be accountable for their own actions, and i dont think that is likely to happen anytime soon :rolleyes:

With regret I agree.

Happy Trails!

Thank you, Stigweard, for the additional article.

I suppose it's just frequently come to mind how many people strive to make the world a completely "good" place to live, with no regard to the fact that there can be no good without evil. I often times see the government in many ways doing the same thing, and only causing more strife in the end. After all, these illusions of power and authority have had such a terrible impact on so many people...

But that's simply my thoughts on it.

Sign in to follow this