Sign in to follow this  
Encephalon

What are the symptoms of too much heat from energy work?

I've had an unusual symptom getting progressively more serious over the last four months. I've never had any dermatological symptoms in my 49 years and now I have a mild rash and dryness on my chin and the soles of my feet. It really began to manifest more acutely when I started reverse breathing in conjunction with solar plexus chakra affirmations. (Any trumpet players in here? I've read that certain breathing techniques, similar to those familar to all brass musicians, can increase heat energy, according to "Pranic Healing" by Master Cho.)

My MO is coming along nicely but I have to accept the possibility that 1) I am setting myself up for a significant blockage problem, or 2) that once I can get my MO to burn through my cervical spine and scalp, I'll be able to really harness the heat in my hands, which are getting pretty hot these days. In "Embrace Tree" I really cook, from the dan tien up to the face, as if I'm standing in front of one of those infrared space heaters.

Could this also be a sign that I should revisit Bruce Frantzis' Water Method to cool things off?

I'm on my way to Kaiser, but if there are any licensed TCM folks in here, I'd love to hear from you. The Kundalini literature is rife with excessive heat symptoms as well. They see it as par for the course of Kundalini rising.

Thanks in advance.

Wow Blasto, that sounds like some serious burn you have going!

What are you trying to burn with it?

I'll let the TCM folks answer the rest.

As I read somewhere and will now badly paraphrase: "I have the questions to all of your answers" ;-)

There are some interesting people "out there" who discuss the skin as:

- an ecology (different bits of it have different eco-systems which is why you won't get the same rash everywhere)

- an interface

- a place

My experience is that self-acupressure (massage of channels and pts) helps create a ventilation system of sorts.

That and the conventional: cardio, stretching, swimming. B)

yeah, one way without adding a balancing point of equal measure is very likely the best way to go.

When you eat something you don't eat just vegetable oil or just protein or just plants

you eat the most healthy and nicest and balanced of all

what is the Bruce Frantzis' Water Method by the way? And where could i find it?

Thanks

Edited by froggie

yeah, one way without adding a balancing point of equal measure is very likely the best way to go.

When you eat something you don't eat just vegetable oil or just protein or just plants

you eat the most healthy and nicest and balanced of all

what is the Bruce Frantzis' Water Method by the way? And where could i find it?

Thanks

From Frantzis I own The Chi Revolution and Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body. He's big into the dissolving method, imagining water flowing down through your crown, dissolving blockages throughout the descent. I'd put on my noise-canc. headphones with white noise w/waterfall trac and just "chill out."

BTW, I cooked yesterday, really bad, and guess what? My girlfriend made coffee. I can do green tea all day long, but coffee burns the hell out of me.

Wow Blasto, that sounds like some serious burn you have going!

What are you trying to burn with it?

I'll let the TCM folks answer the rest.

As I read somewhere and will now badly paraphrase: "I have the questions to all of your answers" ;-)

There are some interesting people "out there" who discuss the skin as:

- an ecology (different bits of it have different eco-systems which is why you won't get the same rash everywhere)

- an interface

- a place

"What are you trying to burn with it?"

Cuz I'ma guy, and I wanted to generate as much heat in my solar plexus as I could, because that is the chakra of will, personal power, efficacy...cajones. And an underdeveloped solar plexus presents a risk of total weeniness...

Definitively see a TCM practitioner. You are suffering from one of the three major maladies in TCM/Taoism: blowing up your chi due heart chi blockage.

See one ASAP.

Good luck.

I would agree, see or contact a reputable TCM doc. If you manage to find one that does chi gung thats even better.

Coffee is very Yang dispersing-and you do definitely have heat signs-whether they are excess heat or deficient heat IDK.

And the palms being involved is very relative too.

Maybe you are overdoing it? Better safe than sorry.

Best of luck-

N-

Definitively see a TCM practitioner. You are suffering from one of the three major maladies in TCM/Taoism: blowing up your chi due heart chi blockage.

See one ASAP.

Good luck.

Please elaborate. There is all kinds of cathartic, heart-related material going on in my life right now.

Cuz I'ma guy, and I wanted to generate as much heat in my solar plexus as I could, because that is the chakra of will, personal power, efficacy...cajones. And an underdeveloped solar plexus presents a risk of total weeniness...

This is an unbalanced approach and will of course create all kinds of problems.

(Any trumpet players in here? I've read that certain breathing techniques, similar to those familar to all brass musicians, can increase heat energy, according to "Pranic Healing" by Master Cho.)

Yes (before I learnt Sax) and yes brass players and classical singers are taught to abdominal breathe although we don't usually compress the air..

From a western medical angle, it's not a tinea /fungal infection?

My partner just did her dermatology exam for pharmacy so everything is looking flaky and itchy for me at the moment :lol:

This is an unbalanced approach and will of course create all kinds of problems.

I'm copping to the truth of what you say. This was an era of over-compensation for me. An underdeveloped solar plexus also brings with it a host of problems as well.

Yup AND blasto-ing your way through it is to forget that it's not in isolation from the rest. See, this is where it's a tough call to bring techniques into a culture that doesn't have the attitude to go with them;-)

Besides, your present idea of will and balls may be no more than an attempt to overpower. I wouldn't suggest you go there.

I don't believe you have to burn your heart to open it, it can open all by itself if you take care of yourself and others.

Yup AND blasto-ing your way through it is to forget that it's not in isolation from the rest. See, this is where it's a tough call to bring techniques into a culture that doesn't have the attitude to go with them;-)

Besides, your present idea of will and balls may be no more than an attempt to overpower. I wouldn't suggest you go there.

I don't believe you have to burn your heart to open it, it can open all by itself if you take care of yourself and others.

I understand the spirit of your feedback. If I were to reveal the extent of my life as a doormat, all the solar plexus chakra work would make sense. It was actually an attempt to heal a deficiency in that area. I have clearly overcompensated, but I am not at risk of becoming belligerent; indeed, I have turned most of my wrath on my own good self.

Edited by Blasto

Please elaborate. There is all kinds of cathartic, heart-related material going on in my life right now.

I told you already:

VISIT A TCM PRACTITIONER. YOU NEED A HERBAL CLEANSING CAUSED BY QI STAGNATION THAT STARTS IN THE LIVER AND GETS TRASFERRED TO THE HEART.

Liver Qi stagnation is the most common ailment amongst Westerners due to our negative lifestyle from a Taoist perspective.

Please don't try to fix yourself on your own.

Best of luck.

I told you already:

VISIT A TCM PRACTITIONER. YOU NEED A HERBAL CLEANSING CAUSED BY QI STAGNATION THAT STARTS IN THE LIVER AND GETS TRASFERRED TO THE HEART.

Liver Qi stagnation is the most common ailment amongst Westerners due to our negative lifestyle from a Taoist perspective.

Please don't try to fix yourself on your own.

Best of luck.

Hi Blasto:

Ha Ha. :lol: So many opinions. Here's one more bean for the pot. :P

Some other things to consider are that at certain stages in qigong practice a lot of heat can be produced.

So experiencing a lot of heat in itself is not necessarily always a sign of problems. However,

from what little you have described, getting skin rashes in conjunction with a lot of heat in extremities

does certainly sound like there may well be something out of whack there, as you already suspect.

I know you mentioned in other posts that you have also been taking a lot of supplements and

herbs as well in recent months. You might also want to consider cutting out the supplements and

herbs for a while if you are still taking them to see if maybe some are causing or contributing

to the symptoms. Certain herbs or supplements could lead to such symptoms as well. I would

give this aspect a serious look if I were having the symptoms you have described.

Of course consulting a TCM practitioner wouldn't hurt, and may well help, but in my

experience not all TCM practitioners are created equal. If you can find one who also has some real

personal experience with qigong, that might be better, but not necessarily. I personally haven't

had much results with TCM doctors of various types in the past, but maybe that's just me.

It still wouldn't hurt to consult with one or more to see what they think. Someone might be

able to recommend a good TCM pactitioner or two in your area if you don't know of any.

If you know a good qigong teacher out your way, they may be able to help too, although

I have run across some pretty strange characters in that regard over the years as well.

One always has to use their own judgement in these situations. I guess maybe

you are reluctant ot stop your practice altogether since you have been making good progress

and don't want to stop it, but if you are experiencing problems it is also something to consider

until you get a better handle on it.

Also, for what it is worth, and just based on my meager experience, one shouldn't try to focus

strongly on specific points/areas of the body, or be consciously trying to direct energy in any way

when doing the standing meditation. It is such practices that can lead to energy imbalances and

potential problems. In my experience it is better to just relax your mind and body as best you

can when doing zhan zhuang and allow the energy to cultivate and circulate naturally. This is

a safer way to generate and cultivate healthy qi.

There you go, one more bean. :lol:

Best wishes from Iskote...

[Edit: Fixed problem with munged post.]

Edited by Iskote

You're not going to find any Dr at Kaiser that knows what you are doing.

Western Dr. do not understand the truth nature of our bodies.

This is energy work you are doing. See a TCM. They focus on rebalancing energy.

for those looking for TCM/Acupuncture in the East Coast... I know of a really good guy. he's a high level Qi Gong practitioner so he knows what he's doing.. he's part of a secret lineage and diagnosis based on sensing your energy blockages. he told me he can do this because his 'medic eye' is opened. this is what he calls the 'traditional method of diagnosis' he confirmed his diagnosis by pulse/tongue for me just to show me that its true. he's very good..

http://www.gardenstatespine.com/garden/drs/scottbendell.php

Blasto you're in LA though so I can't help you. I would suggest a Westerner since they seem to care less about making money than Chinese over here. do make sure you find one that does Qi Gong or else I feel it would be useless

my doc told me I actually have excess Liver qi.. my problem is spleen deficiency. we're all different I guess.

My top 3 practices that have paid off with acute excess heat problems: 5 animals, acupressure, healing sounds.

I too have a rash from a energy practice that hasn't gone away.. If I were you I'd stop all the practices that feel heating, until you got that stuff under control (meaning not getting any worse).

Edited by atena

The feedback I have received from this thread has renewed my faith in TTB forum. There is so much friggn' silliness in here that I was preparing to bail entirely.

Thank you all for being so sensible, mindful, helpful.

I was able to glean a great deal from the following link. I may or may not have this syndrome, but my lifestyle of the last three months could have easily accounted for my situation. I went from working full time at the gym and working out 4 days a week to energy work exclusively, and hours spent sitting in front of the screen finishing my thesis and gulping black tea.

http://www.mybodywisdom.net/pdf/Liver_Qi_Stagnation.pdf

Last night I replaced my 20 minute Embrace Tree with hands on the tan tien and woke up with a clean face and no back pain, no shoulder pain. This was the advice Dr. Li gave me months ago, but I maintained Embrace Tree. I like Embrace Tree! My limbs positively hum in Embrace Tree!

For you in Los Angeles, I want to put out this guy's contact info. He's an absolute wizard. $60 per visit, cash only!

Dr. Li

4712 North Peck Rd.

El Monte, CA

The feedback I have received from this thread has renewed my faith in TTB forum. There is so much friggn' silliness in here that I was preparing to bail entirely.

Thank you all for being so sensible, mindful, helpful.

I was able to glean a great deal from the following link. I may or may not have this syndrome, but my lifestyle of the last three months could have easily accounted for my situation. I went from working full time at the gym and working out 4 days a week to energy work exclusively, and hours spent sitting in front of the screen finishing my thesis and gulping black tea...

Glad to hear you feel a bit better.

I forgot to mention that driking GREEN tea removes Liver Qi stagnation (drink it 3 times x day at least). Also losing body fat levels.

Stop weight training using weights. No good as it blocks overall Qi flow. Body weight exercises are OK, like Parkour training, which is a better way of toning the body.

Also EMOTIONS affect free flow of Liver Qi:

Stress, anger, resentment and repressed frustrations in life will do it every time! These emotions, when experienced for a prolonged period of time, will cause the Liver Qi to stagnate.

In addition, diet and lifestyle in particular the excessive consumption of spicy or greasy foods and the use of alcohol and nicotine, will contribute to or aggravate a Liver imbalance by generating heat in the body.

More about this TCM condition:

1. Because of the close relationship of the Liver and Gallbladder, neck and shoulder tension are common along the path of the Gallbladder meridian. Because a branch of the Liver meridian ascends to the top of the head, vertex headaches are common.

2. Emotionally, we feel irritable and depressed or have pronounced mood swings when the Liver Qi is stuck. The Liver channel also flows to the throat, so the feeling of a lump in the throat that is worse when stressed, called plum-pit Qi in Chinese medicine, is attributed to Liver Qi stagnation.

3. Because the energy is predominant in the Liver meridian between 1 and 3 a.m. according to the Chinese medicine body clock, people with a Liver imbalance often will wake up habitually during this time and not be able to fall back asleep.

4. Menstrual irregularities almost always have a Liver imbalance element due to the Liver's function of storing Blood. Irregular periods, painful periods, breast tenderness and PMS are common symptoms.

5. Because of the Liver's regulatory effect on the Qi of the Stomach and Spleen, digestive complaints are common. Acid reflux, irritable bowel syndrome, nausea and abdominal distention may be due to a Liver imbalance affecting the Stomach or Spleen.

6. Tendon problems may be due to the Liver failing to properly nourish them. Many patients with carpal tunnel and plantar fasciitis have other Liver issues. Stiff neck and muscle cramps may be related to the Liver.

7. Dry eyes, floaters, poor night vision or other eye issues may be related to the function of the Liver in TCM.

8. The Liver, in TCM has a relationship with wind. Not only does environmental wind worsen symptoms of a Liver imbalance, but it is a common belief in TCM that wind may be generated internally due to a prolonged Liver disharmony. Clinical symptoms of wind are tremors, tics, vertigo and in extreme cases, stroke.

9. Stress reduction is crucial to keeping the Liver in balance. Acupuncture and/or herbal treatment has been used for thousands of years to relax the body and move the Liver Qi to maintain health.

DRINKING GREEN TEA is, as I said, an excellent remedy for this TCM condition.

Finally, for Western males suffering from this condition, semen retention is a no-no thing to do because it blocks the formation of Kidney water which moistens the Liver Wood. So until you don't

fix Liver Qi stagnation ejaculate once a week (better inside a female to absorb her Jing essence which is Yin in nature) to avoid worsening of the condition.

Good luck.

Sign in to follow this