Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Burning Man happening Aug 31 to Sept 7

I've always wanted to go. Just found out it was starting in 4 days. I assumed my wife would object to a sudden departure across country, but to my surprise she said go!

So my ticket's waiting in Will Call, I'll start driving the 2000 miles there Sunday and see what the wild desert holds for me :)

Who else has been to one? Any advice for a newbie?

Michael

bring 2 gallons of water per day per person. bring more than enough food. bring some goggles or glasses that can keep sand out of your eyes. make friends. I've never been, but that's just about the advice I heard.

my friend invited me to go but I couldn't. he's still going though. it sounds really crazy, really fun. i don't know much about it though except that its people getting together and just acting creative by doing artistic and musical projects.

my friend invited me to go but I couldn't. he's still going though. it sounds really crazy, really fun. i don't know much about it though except that its people getting together and just acting creative by doing artistic and musical projects.

Well Michael. I'll tell you something, that I know lots of spiritual people that have gone who have real spiritual awakening and real cultivation, that there is some hard energy there. Much of the experience is fueled by drugs. Now, there are certain groups you can get with that don't get down like that. But my ex-girlfriend "Diana" went, and I know lots of other youngsters that went, who have told me lots about it, shared stories... "get layed" stories, "got fu^&ed up" stories, etc. It's pretty intensely filled with lots of orgiastic hopes and happenings, as well as free drug desires.

Then again... everything is subjective and we take ourselves wherever we go, consciously and subconsciously. So who knows what you would experience there?

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Too much Yang energy, more suited to the Wood-type people. Mountains are way better.

Good luck in your journey.

Know a few people who have gone. Don't underestimate the extremes in weather. Lots of friendly folks.

Thanks. I'm too old for the drug and too prudish orgiastic scene though in the past I've enjoyed the nude beachs. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for there. Burning Man is probably the opposite of peace, yet within extreme yan lies yin.

I'm generally unprepared, some food, shelter (oh I hate camping) not much in the art department and thats bad. Its about art and the self creation of a one week utopia that you're willing to share with others. Art and sharing. I am no artist. No musician, though I can whistle Beethovens 5th. I was a Nidan in Aikido (as the years go by without practice its not true to say I am one), I could bring dowels and teach people some staff kata's as well as some simple non throwing movement exercises.

I have tons of guided meditation but no way to broadcast them. I write..I could put on the bulletin board a story hour or half hour where I read some works.

The big hardware stores have semi transparent boards, thin but sturdy, man size. I could buy a dozen of them and some large markers. I could have people stand pressed against them and do outline portraits of unkknown depths. That would be cool, neat to stand them up in the sand or give them away. Artistic for the nudies. Do some sunsets and desert scapes, maybe lock'em together w/ super glue.

I have one day to look into it. I'm leaving Sunday.

Michael

I think it'd be enjoyable for the people watching alone, and from what I understand there's many people there who enjoy being watched, like performing musicians and an audience, both share creative energy with each other. Once my kids are big enough to leave for bouts of time I'd like to go to a burning man fest with my husband, we enjoy being in the company of colorful freaks and weird music. One big wacky colorful beautiful chaotic festival of humanity.

Sign in to follow this