innerspace_cadet

Gotu Kola with antidepressants...

I am interested in taking the herb Gotu Kola for its health benefits, namely cleansing the liver, promoting vitality and mental tranquility. But I also take several antidepressants. I am wondering if there is a potential dangerous contraindication here.

You are probably safe to take it. I would use extra caution though, if one of your antidepressants is an

MAOI. Otherwise, start with a low dose for a few days to make sure, and work your way up. The same cannot be said for St John's Wort or Rhodiola Rosea, which should definitely not be taken with antidepressants ordinarily.

The same cannot be said for St John's Wort or Rhodiola Rosea, which should definitely not be taken with antidepressants ordinarily.

St John's Wort - check. I concur fully.

Rhodiola???

Is it a SSRI? This is news to me. what do you base your statement on?

Craig

I am interested in taking the herb Gotu Kola for its health benefits, namely cleansing the liver, promoting vitality and mental tranquility. But I also take several antidepressants. I am wondering if there is a potential dangerous contraindication here.

I would like to tell you my experience. I was taking a couple of antidepressants and I started to experiment on my own by adding/subtracting from my doctors recommendation. That was because my doctor knew NOTHING about herbs and botanicals, and my feeling was that I could do the research. Unfortunately, I found out that you CAN NOT mix certain biochemical compounds with antidepressants. It causes a reaction that either weakens or amplifies the effect of the pharmaceutical. I was using St. John's Wort, and as another person here says, that's a no-no because there are so MANY interactions with S.J Wort.

However, when I changed doc's (you should consider it), my holistic MD told me that Rhodiola is OK to mix with the pharma's because there isn't the same problem. I started with Mind Body & Spirit (I would highly recommend that product) which he suggested. I was able to reduce my pharma dosage in three months. The Rhodiola had a huge effect on me -- my outlook became very positive and I'd wake up EXPECTING the day to go great, which was a very different attitude for me!! So, to the person who cautions about Rhodiola below, I'd say that this isn't the case. I can't answer for Gotu K. but I can say that at least with R. rosea, they haven't yet found a drug interaction. The only caution on the box I have here (Verde Botanica) is "Do not take if bipolar."

I don't know why that is. I did find when I tried some cheap Rhodiola from a store that I got a bad headache and no results, so I'd say you have to stick with the good brands. If it isn't $20 or more, you're probably just buying the same Chinese stuff that most companies buy and resell from $5 to $15.

Good luck to you! Please, DO consider changing to a holistic doctor. Someone who knows these herbs can really be a resource for you.

I was using St. John's Wort, and as another person here says, that's a no-no because there are so MANY interactions with S.J Wort.

St John's wort is an antidepressant. It has SSRI activity. selective seretonin reuptake inhibition. It is contraindicated in combination with OTHER SSRI's. I dont think there are MANY interactions other than this, but it is a significant one. NOTE: for mild symptoms of depression studies have shown SJW to be equally effective as pharm drugs.

Rhodiola rosea is a fantastic herb. It is a tonic herb. An adaptogen.

Even Tibetan Rhodiola, aka rhodiola sacra has very good properties and is significantly more abundant in trade, but definitely go for the best quality you can get.

I have never heard of contraindications for Rhodiola of either kind. It is not a SSRI.

Good luck

Craig

Thanks

interesting citation. Obviously not a simple subject. I would say that the issue of SJW is much clearer.

Good input.

Craig