JazZen

Reverse Breathing / Taoist Breathing / Eight breathing styles for Qigong

I missed the last one:

TORTOISE BREATH: "Even the pre-birth breathing alone will not enable you to reach the ultimate breathing stage. Forgetting the pre-birth mehod after its mastery over many years leads you to the tortoise breath."

any one here comment on your practice of PRE-BIRTH breathing or having reached TORTOISE BREATH.

Edited by JazZen

It's interesting how the author refers to pre-birth breathing also as reverse breathing.

I've experienced pre-birth breathing as a side effect of practice, but not necessarily as a controlled method of breathing (although I could decide whether to continue it or not). And I've practiced reversed breathing, as a "forced" (not forceful) way of breathing.

I'm not sure if the two are the same, but it's possible. I will have to keep that in mind.

Edited by Scotty

There are many conflicting views on breath work. I am warned by my primary (martial arts teacher) to never ever do reverse breathing under any circumstance because it damages the body.

There are many conflicting views on breath work. I am warned by my primary (martial arts teacher) to never ever do reverse breathing under any circumstance because it damages the body.

Reverse breathing is taught extensively in Kundalini Yoga and the Taoist manual "The Secret of The Golden Flower".

I've done it for -many- years without harm. I have used it for 12 years in Chito Ryu Japanese Karate (full contact) I meditate when sparing - guard your belly as well as your head.

It is just breathing into the abdomen and then circulating it through the chakras - beginning at the base and moving up. It is also called 'baby breath style' as this is the way babies breathe.

Try this - work out & then meditate for about 15 minuites each day practing the reverse breathing technique..

Focus more on meditation. The reason it becomes popular is only that it is used as an essential tool for enlightenment. The other two tools are exercise and meditation.

In my aviitar picture there are 3 animals - the 2 dragons and the tiger that embrace the Tao.

These are from The Jade Emperors Mind Seal Classic .

The tiger is the mind in meditation.

The 2 Dragons are Breath and Body (exercise)

Have you noticed that Almost All Buddhist and Taoist Monistaries are located on a mountain?

Check it out: WuDang Taoist temple in China:

~..~

Back to reversal...

Here it is again:

2nd paragraph, 2nd sentence:

"Reversal is the way of the Tao" http://www.thetaobums.com/Doctrine-and-The...Yang-t4828.html

For more information:

Turn to page# 33 Breathing.

In this book:

The Five Tibetans:

by Christopher S. Kilham

Also here at exercise #1

http://www.lifeevents.org/5-tibetans-energ...n-exercises.htm

Edited by ~jK~

In my experience, "breathing without breathing" is simply when one's respiratory rate becomes low enough that turbulence in air passages is all but completely gone; using no muscular contraction above the diaphragm (not inhaling with nose, sinuses, bronchi, etc) and solely using abdominal motion for respiration. Its not just about slowing it down though, correct form in breath will have abundant energetic effects.