Sign in to follow this  
Encephalon

Time to Take the Plunge (Tying the Knot in December)

Yes, indeed. There appears to be married folk in here. I would be grateful for any links or book titles that others may have utilized in their wedding plans. ANY advice would be welcome.

This book right here: http://www.amazon.com/Real-Love-Unconditio...s/dp/1592400477 is awesome. It isn't really about planning your wedding, but IMO wedding days are a LOT of buildup and anticipation for 10 hours of your life. It's what goes on AFTER the wedding that is truly important in my opinion. Reading the above book changed the way my wife and I relate and communicate with each other. I can't recommend it highly enough. I know this isn't really what you are looking for, but it is what I felt led to share. If you want, PM me your address and I will send you a copy as a wedding gift. Congratulations!

Love,

Carson :D

This book right here: http://www.amazon.com/Real-Love-Unconditio...s/dp/1592400477 is awesome. It isn't really about planning your wedding, but IMO wedding days are a LOT of buildup and anticipation for 10 hours of your life. It's what goes on AFTER the wedding that is truly important in my opinion. Reading the above book changed the way my wife and I relate and communicate with each other. I can't recommend it highly enough. I know this isn't really what you are looking for, but it is what I felt led to share. If you want, PM me your address and I will send you a copy as a wedding gift. Congratulations!

Love,

Signs that we should pack up and move to Canada before the meltdown of American culture seem to come fairly frequently to us these days. Favorite authors, actors, film production facilities, urban planners... we both get a kick at how many sensible voices are Canadian. I've been dreaming of moving to BC for 30 years and may very well make it, although It'll be for my final 20. The town of Smithers looks awfully nice.

We are honored by your generosity, Carson. Thanks a bunch.

Hey Blasto,

You don't want any advice from me. I have been married and divorced three times.

But I do wish y'all the very best.

Happy Trails!

Hi Blasto....

Signs that we should pack up and move to Canada before the meltdown of American culture seem to come fairly frequently to us these days. Favorite authors, actors, film production facilities, urban planners... we both get a kick at how many sensible voices are Canadian. I've been dreaming of moving to BC for 30 years and may very well make it, although It'll be for my final 20. The town of Smithers looks awfully nice.

Canada unfortunately isn't the "bubble" it may seem to be from an American perspective....we are in the same boat as the US both financially as well as culturally. IMO Canada is basically a "cultural void". We are known world-wide as being filled with people content with mediocrity and apathy. Sure we have more lenient marijuana laws etc, (perhaps indicitive of our love for mediocrity and apathy ;) ) but we also lack any sort of cultural vision. I guess the US is no better. Just saying running to Canada may seem like a good idea while living in the US, but once you get here you will realize you are jumping from the pot into the fire. Running period is a bad idea. There is nowhere to go....All is here Now.

We are honored by your generosity, Carson. Thanks a bunch.

Send me your address! I wasn't kidding, I would love to send you this book as a wedding present. If you aren't comfortable sending me your address that is fine too. No worries.

Love,

P.S> There are voices of reason everywhere, not just in Canada....we may get more "airplay" then those of a similar view in the US., but we exist everywhere ;) I personally find that the homeless have more things of value to say then most spiritual leaders. :unsure:

Edited by CarsonZi

As a certifiable "Doomer" (post-oil, post-industrial, post-civilization) I am in complete agreement with many voices that predict a world population of 500 million by the 22nd century. I've written in here and elsewhere that the Canadian Taoist population may be very well represented by the surviving human family. The same qualities that made their ancient villages so robust are the same qualities that will enable Taoists to endure in the tough times ahead. I wouldn't be surprised to see Taoist villages in the Canadian Rockies, teaching their skills to likeminded folk.

My needs are very modest now. A loving wife, simple food, a couple of musical instruments and a place to practice my chi kung and meditation are all I really want (well, my books too). It is my hope that we find an intentional community where this can become a reality.

www.ic.org

We've started looking here.

Haha....

Not totally sure if I was the first one to post that www.ic.org link, but I certainly have posted that link here at TTB in the past. A friend of mine has purchased 50 acres on the tip of North Vancouver Island (right at the end of the North Coast Trail) on which we hope to start an IC....not Taoist as most of us are not specifically religious, but we are all spiritually like-minded and the friend who owns the property just finished his Masters (with distinction) in Environmental Sciences (Coastal Water Management) and has quite a few great ideas on how to create and maintain a sustainable community out there. Perhaps when we are more organized you and your wife could come out and visit the site and see what you think. This is all a few years in the future, but it's great to be prepared!

Hope you enjoy the book!

Love,

Edited by CarsonZi

Haha....

Not totally sure if I was the first one to post that www.ic.org link, but I certainly have posted that link here at TTB in the past. A friend of mine has purchased 50 acres on the tip of North Vancouver Island (right at the end of the North Coast Trail) on which we hope to start an IC....not Taoist as most of us are not specifically religious, but we are all spiritually like-minded and the friend who owns the property just finished his Masters (with distinction) in Environmental Sciences (Coastal Water Management) and has quite a few great ideas on how to create and maintain a sustainable community out there. Perhaps when we are more organized you and your wife could come out and visit the site and see what you think. This is all a few years in the future, but it's great to be prepared!

Hope you enjoy the book!

Love,

Well, no one won the Mega Millions lottery yesterday, so its up to $325 million for Friday's draw. If we win we will be giving you a call.

Well, no one won the Mega Millions lottery yesterday, so its up to $325 million for Friday's draw. If we win we will be giving you a call.

the following link is a sea level rise map of Canada. Any prospective property buyers who want property for their children and grandchildren might want to take a peek. Parts of BC, especially Vancouver, don't fair well in the years ahead.

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps...itysealevelrise

the following link is a sea level rise map of Canada. Any prospective property buyers who want property for their children and grandchildren might want to take a peek. Parts of BC, especially Vancouver, don't fair well in the years ahead.

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps...itysealevelrise

Yeah, we are pretty aware of the rise in sea level....this particular property (remember it is 50 acres) has a section right on the coast (which gives us great access for fishing) but is boardered by cliffs. The altitude of this particular plot of land should be safe (unless the seas rise like 25 meters or something....then we are ALL in trouble no matter where we live ;) )

Thanks for the heads up though! Last thing we want is our IC to be underwater!

Love,

P.S. Our land on that map linked above is part of the yellow section on the very tip of North Vancouver Island...we should be ok according to that map.

Edited by CarsonZi

:lol: I'll be making the jump soon as well. with respect to the sea level, dont worry about the fantasy computer lands, we're not going to get any ridiculous sea level rise in our lifetime.

My wife and I folded 1,000 origami cranes for our wedding. They made for beautiful wedding favors and decorations for our Asian themed wedding. According to legend if you guys successfully fold all of them, you will have your hearts greatest wish come true. It is very common in Japan and Korea for a couple to work together to fold them all.

Plus, the crane is one of the most famous Taoist symbols, representing longevity. Shuo Lao (or sometimes Lao Tsu) is frequently depicted as riding a crane through the air.

As for romantic classical Chinese things... The Peiking Opera play on Chuang Tsu, The Butterfly Dream, is rather nice, if you can find a way to integrate it into your wedding.

Here are a couple of Confucius quotes that you might be able to use:

"It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get."

"The moral man and woman will find the moral law beginning in the relation between husband and wife, but ending only in the vast reaches of the universe."

I-Ching Quote:

"When two people are at one in their inmost hearts, they shatter even the strength of iron or bronze."

Congratulations

"There is more to marriage than four feet in a bed"

may or may not be appropriate but it's one of my favorite quotes :lol:

I also like this book How to make love everyday...guaranteed

The true qualities of affection are kindness, caring, and respect - both in the bedroom and out. These are not demonstrated by actions or words alone, they arise from a state of mind. Too much thinking paralyses our ability to get in touch with the feeling of love within ourselves. When that happens it is impossible to give selfless love; that is, to laugh, be non-judgemental and affectionate with the one we are with.

Hugging, touching, cuddling and stroking, in front of others is normal healthy and sane. Being affectionate every day, in public as well as in private, makes for a great love life. Making love is about genuine bonding, and to enjoy great sex, we need to cultivate genuine love; and this means being aware of kindness and affection within ourselves throughout our day and showing these qualities to everyone we meet.

As a certifiable "Doomer" (post-oil, post-industrial, post-civilization) I am in complete agreement with many voices that predict a world population of 500 million by the 22nd century.

Don't have to wait that long. If their plans for the swine flu vaccine realize, it will kill a whole lots of people.

Yes, indeed. There appears to be married folk in here. I would be grateful for any links or book titles that others may have utilized in their wedding plans. ANY advice would be welcome.
Here is the best source there is: http://www.dont-marry.com/ and don't forget to go to their forum that has a ton of info and people's experiences.

I been married for nine yrs now.. Not without disturbances in the Force.

Succeeding in marriage has a lot to do with communnication, but most times it's all about admitting you're wrong and changing your behavior :) If that's against your principles, well, you're not made for marriage. Or you'll have to change your principles :P

But seriously and sincerely, I wish you all the blessings a happy marriage can provide.

Edited by King Kabalabhati

Sign in to follow this