Jeremy

Smelling fragrance that isn't "there" in SFQ meditation

I had what I guess you could call a "break through" in my Spring Forest Qigong practice. I have heard of saliva tasting sweet after a lot of practice, but I've never experienced that, and I've never heard of what happened to me till today.

What happened to me: I was doing the sun meditation, and about 45 minutes into it, I began to smell the fragrance of a flower, maybe lavender (I'm not too knowledgeable about flowers but I want to say it was lavender). But I have nothing like that in my apartment. I've been thinking about it all day and concluded there's nothing in my apartment that could have caused the scent. After the meditation, I no longer smelled it. It was so strong at times it seemed like a flower was right under my nose! The only correlation this scent had to anything was the fact that it started right after the focus of my attention turned to helping a sick family member heal. Anybody have any wisdom to share about this? I searched around online and found there is a form of qigong called "Fragrant Qigong" where this effect is known to happen. Interesting!

• Like 1

I had what I guess you could call a "break through" in my Spring Forest Qigong practice. I have heard of saliva tasting sweet after a lot of practice, but I've never experienced that, and I've never heard of what happened to me till today.

What happened to me: I was doing the sun meditation, and about 45 minutes into it, I began to smell the fragrance of a flower, maybe lavender (I'm not too knowledgeable about flowers but I want to say it was lavender). But I have nothing like that in my apartment. I've been thinking about it all day and concluded there's nothing in my apartment that could have caused the scent. After the meditation, I no longer smelled it. It was so strong at times it seemed like a flower was right under my nose! The only correlation this scent had to anything was the fact that it started right after the focus of my attention turned to helping a sick family member heal. Anybody have any wisdom to share about this? I searched around online and found there is a form of qigong called "Fragrant Qigong" where this effect is known to happen. Interesting!

Hello Jeremy,

Sounds like a secretion of the pineal gland. If I'm not mistaken the Sun meditation is a third eye yang meditation. I think there is a moon/yin one as well. Well done. I'm not an SFQ practitioner myself but these practices overlap sometimes. Drew is the resident SFQ guy and will know more then me. The fragrance is a common thing though.. Dr Yan Xin (one of Chunyi Lins's teachers) actually emitted this kind of smell when he healed.

Well done and keep training!

Hello Jeremy,

Sounds like a secretion of the pineal gland. If I'm not mistaken the Sun meditation is a third eye yang meditation. I think there is a moon/yin one as well. Well done. I'm not an SFQ practitioner myself but these practices overlap sometimes. Drew is the resident SFQ guy and will know more then me. The fragrance is a common thing though.. Dr Yan Xin (one of Chunyi Lins's teachers) actually emitted this kind of smell when he healed.

Well done and keep training!

You're right, there's a moon meditation also, in Level 3. The sun and moon meditations do help open the third eye. I try to do them both every day. Yeah, I'm a big fan of Hempel's work. A secretion of the pineal gland might be right. Another possibility I thought of was that I became super sensitive and was able to detect a fragrance in a neighbor's apartment, maybe. Anyway, thanks!

Classic sign. You might find it mentioned occasionally in books when someone is going through real sadhana, and also modern students in progressive schools sometimes mention. I don't know if it "means anything", other than it's a good thing. :)

Chunyi Lin does regularly emit the fragrance of lotus when his energy gets built up. I noticed it only once. It could be because your diet is particularly excellent. My diet sucks so I smell like shit but I can't smell it myself instead I sense it as a tingling sort of bacteria tingling called proprioreception.

Anyway -- turns out tomatoes and cinnamon are phenylethanols closely related to flower fragrance.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:dG-Ic4...=clnk&gl=us

So if you wanna smell like flowers then eat more tomatoes -- I know I will!

Thanks for the inspiration Jeremy!

Woah Drew, you know what's funny? I've been eating TONS of tomatoes lately. I'm growing a tomato plant on my balcony, and my sister brings over extra tomatoes from her garden every week. I have more than I know what to do with but I have this "waste nothing" mentality when it comes to food so I eat it all anyway. Fascinating connection.

So I smelt the fragrance again today. The second time now. This time I wasn't "formally" doing meditation, but after practicing some Chen style Tai Chi, I was sitting in half lotus out on my balcony in a meditative state in the early morning, sipping my avocado pit parsley lentil-sprout stevia mint smoothie, watching the birds playing, and caught several strong whiffs of it again. I looked around at all the neighbors' windows and they were all closed, so that rules out perfume or essential oil coming from a neighbor's apartment. Nothing in the parking lot that my balcony overlooks that could have caused it. After I got up and walked around I stopped smelling it. Too crazy!

Guest winpro07

I think there is a connection between malic acid found in tomatoes, tryptophane/meletonin and the production of DMT that smells like flowers. Apples have the highest levels of malic acid

That is REALLY FUNNY! I thought for sure you'd say -- we'll I haven't had many tomatoes but thanks anyway. but NO! haha. This calls for a celebration:

http://www.mondovista.com/rainbow.html

Woah Drew, you know what's funny? I've been eating TONS of tomatoes lately. I'm growing a tomato plant on my balcony, and my sister brings over extra tomatoes from her garden every week. I have more than I know what to do with but I have this "waste nothing" mentality when it comes to food so I eat it all anyway. Fascinating connection.

So I smelt the fragrance again today. The second time now. This time I wasn't "formally" doing meditation, but after practicing some Chen style Tai Chi, I was sitting in half lotus out on my balcony in a meditative state in the early morning, sipping my avocado pit parsley lentil-sprout stevia mint smoothie, watching the birds playing, and caught several strong whiffs of it again. I looked around at all the neighbors' windows and they were all closed, so that rules out perfume or essential oil coming from a neighbor's apartment. Nothing in the parking lot that my balcony overlooks that could have caused it. After I got up and walked around I stopped smelling it. Too crazy!