Sign in to follow this  
snowdiva

Harmful Taoism?

1. What happens when taoists don't walk the talk? What's the oversight when a Taoist priest is a selfish, vain, materialistic liar, full of ego and pride? What does one 'do' about potentially harmful Taoist "teachers" and teachings?

2. What's the appropriate dignified respectful response to Taoist missionarism?

3. What age of child is reasonable to instruct in Taoism? The instruction is outside of family, we are not Taoists, I don't have a clear idea of why or what.

4. If I were to allow this, what questions would I ask to screen the teachings and teacher?

1. What happens when taoists don't walk the talk? What's the oversight when a Taoist priest is a selfish, vain, materialistic liar, full of ego and pride? What does one 'do' about potentially harmful Taoist "teachers" and teachings?

Think for yourself. Everyone is human. Consider what people teach you, but be careful not to take it any further than that. This is your life, so take responsibility for it, and don't try to pass that off onto another human being...who will always not care about it as much as you.

Hi Snowdiva,

I will speak to only these questions.

Once a person becomes knowledgeable as to how a Taoist is supposed to behave you can readily see when they are not walking their talk. A perfect example is when I was having the strong arguements with a couple members of this forum just recently. I knew I was not behaving properly but on the other hand I was doing what I felt needed to be done.

I spoke to your second question in the other thread. I think that if a person is truely a Taoist and tries to live according to the Way when one behaves un-Tao-like, even a priest, they will never find inner peace and contentment.

Regarding teachers you think are doing harm the only suggestion I would make would be to disassociate yourself from that person. It is a dis-service for a teacher to cause harm to any of their students. And I dislike the saying "no pain, no gain". Learning should be pleasureable.

Happy Trails!

Sign in to follow this