markern

Building muscles in a cultivation kind of way

When I went to the gym and did weights two times a week before I was very happy with my upper body size and strength. Now that I do yoga or pilates 3-5 times a week my size has decreased a lot and I want to do something about it but going back to the gym is out of the question. What I want is to find a way to get back my size in a way that does not require that I leave my house (saves time) and that is more energeticly beneficial than just doing weights. Hindu push ups for example or something like that. Preferably something that takes a short time.

What gave me my size before was doing biceps, triceps, chest and shoulders 3 times 10 of my maximum lifting capacity.

Well body weight exercises aren't going to give you as much resistance as weights, so if you want to increase size by lifting max capacity, that max capacity from a body weight perspective wouldn't be as high as it would be lifting weights at a gym.

You could always get your own home gym set, so you'd get the resistance but without having to go to the gym :)

Or you could strap various things to your body as you do push ups.....

Push up bars like these are very handy in that they increase the range of motion that your arms must go through. When I first started working out I thought pushups were super hard, got some of these, worked out with them for a couple of weeks, and after that regular push ups were a walk in the park :)

Well body weight exercises aren't going to give you as much resistance as weights, so if you want to increase size by lifting max capacity, that max capacity from a body weight perspective wouldn't be as high as it would be lifting weights at a gym.

You could always get your own home gym set, so you'd get the resistance but without having to go to the gym :)

Or you could strap various things to your body as you do push ups.....

Push up bars like these are very handy in that they increase the range of motion that your arms must go through. When I first started working out I thought pushups were super hard, got some of these, worked out with them for a couple of weeks, and after that regular push ups were a walk in the park :)

Yeah I know it is kind of difficult without the max weights but for that I need to warm up and I think to fit things into my schedual of pilates, yoga, qigong, meditation I don`t think I have any good options besides as a warm up in the morning before doing qigong?? The push up bars were a good idea though. How do you feel doing qigong after excersizing realy hard for 15 minutes?

Yeah I know it is kind of difficult without the max weights but for that I need to warm up and I think to fit things into my schedual of pilates, yoga, qigong, meditation I don`t think I have any good options besides as a warm up in the morning before doing qigong?? The push up bars were a good idea though. How do you feel doing qigong after excersizing realy hard for 15 minutes?

I don't usually exercise and do qigong back to back. I usually separate them by a couple of hours.

So generally (I change my schedule every couple of days depending on what I have to do that day, y'know, life stuff :)) I'll stretch and do some light exercises in the morning. Then sometime throughout the day, either in the early morning or in the late afternoon I'll go for a run. Then in the evening I'll do some more intensive body weight exercises, then some qigong for a little while. (I do mini meditations and light qigong exercises throughout the day)

To be honest I'm kind of a slacker when it comes to working out :P so if I don't have time to fit everything in, I'll drop the body weight workout.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

When I went to the gym and did weights two times a week before I was very happy with my upper body size and strength. Now that I do yoga or pilates 3-5 times a week my size has decreased a lot and I want to do something about it but going back to the gym is out of the question. What I want is to find a way to get back my size in a way that does not require that I leave my house (saves time) and that is more energeticly beneficial than just doing weights. Hindu push ups for example or something like that. Preferably something that takes a short time.

What gave me my size before was doing biceps, triceps, chest and shoulders 3 times 10 of my maximum lifting capacity.

I feel you on this man, and I have to say.... bodyweight exercises are where it's at. Gymnasts have incredible bodies and 95% of the work they do is purely bodyweight... It's all about decreasing leverage, which increases the weight you put on your targeted muscles.

Do knuckle pushups. max out everyday until you can do 4 sets of 25, resting 30 seconds in between each set. then overtime shrinking your resting time until you can do 100 consecutively. You will grow in size over this period of time. Train the one arm pushup. Do pullups, shoot for 50.

Train these progressions(<-- training pictorial by Coach Chris Sommer) to eventually do the no feet pushups, and pullups with your body parrallel to the floor.

These full body work outs take body awareness and training interconnectedness. The focus required and the body awareness is where I believe the energetic benefits of these types of bodyweight exercises come from.

Also, no equipment required either. Unless you choose to take up pullups, which are a great exercise that can be done on a tree limb, or buy an iron gym doorway removable pull up bar.

image002.jpg

image004.jpg

pictures from this article by Coach Christopher Sommer

Edited by Old Man Contradiction

Hey Markern...

Might not be exactly what you are looking for, but in my asana practice I include 2 sets of 35 "pranayama pushups"....It's a nice balance between cultivation and muscle toning/building. It's just normal pushups (perfect form of course, no lazy pushups) in which on the "pushUP" you breath in deeply and on the "pushDOWN" you exhale fully. You can do these fast or slow, and I always get a really nice lower back sweat going on and I always feel the burn. I also touch my ajna spot to the floor on each "down" (don't rest on your chest though and don't bend your head down to do this).....if you have large pectorals already you may hit your chest muscles at the same time....same with your genitalia...if you have a big "johnson" you may be hitting that on the ground simultaneously with your forehead.

I also find doing "handstand pushups" against the wall pretty good for building upper body strength.

Love,

Carson :D

Hi markern,

I would recommend dumbbells and a bench. That wouldn't be very expensive, wouldn't take up much room and you can do nearly every exercise necessary to maintain your upper body strength and endurance.

Happy Trails!

Ditto on the supremacy of Bodyweight exercises. In fact, most exercise equipment, and the "fitness" industry in general, is about convincing people they can slack off by using machines and still get the same benefits as free weights and BW routines.

Sonnon is awesome and he'll keep your joints up to speed. I made a pair of clubbells because I coudn't afford to buy them. From grip strength all the way up to traps, they can't be beat.

The only free weight routine that I would endeavor to keep in my ongoing routine would be deadlifts. See "Power to the People." They have all the advantages in size and strength gains of heavy squats without the lower back risks. Pavel's "Beyond Bodybuilding" is a vast resource, and for BW purists, his "Naked Warrior" is THE resource.

I've been a trainer for three years. "Scrawny to Brawny" has a routine based on compound lifts and 4,000 calorie/day diet plans that will bulk you up very quickly. You may have to shred afterwards though, but, that's standard. Another invaluable resource is "The New Rules of Lifting," which is also about the superiority of compound lifts. No more tricep kickbacks! Get on the dip bench!

Once you get the size you want you can cut back to two 45 min. routines a week. By then, if your body/mind fusion is good and you haven't skipped out on your flexibility training, your ability to DEEPLY relax will expedite your internal energy flow.

Oh yeah. Don't forget to eat buckwheat. Oh! And let's not forget about kettlebells...

I agree with what others have said about the body weight/resistance training. Other than that I only have one other set that I do with some dumbbells. But that is more of a cheater rep. set.

In your title you talk about "in a cultivation kind of way". Why strive for a level of fitness that you do not necessarily need in your daily life for the tasks that you do? We all enjoy a higher level of musculature, but why hold on to a certain perceived ideal of what you "need" or "want" to look like? I can understand if in the course of your existence you feel more strength would benefit you on a regular basis but otherwise...

I would think cultivators in a Taoist sense(whatever that may or may not be) would not cultivate more than is needed whether it be food, muscle or energy.

Oh yeah. Don't forget to eat buckwheat.

Why buckwheat if you don't mind me asking?

I agree with what others have said about the body weight/resistance training. Other than that I only have one other set that I do with some dumbbells. But that is more of a cheater rep. set.

In your title you talk about "in a cultivation kind of way". Why strive for a level of fitness that you do not necessarily need in your daily life for the tasks that you do? We all enjoy a higher level of musculature, but why hold on to a certain perceived ideal of what you "need" or "want" to look like? I can understand if in the course of your existence you feel more strength would benefit you on a regular basis but otherwise...

I would think cultivators in a Taoist sense(whatever that may or may not be) would not cultivate more than is needed whether it be food, muscle or energy.

Why buckwheat if you don't mind me asking?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m080...0/ai_n31586824/

Health, fitness, and nutrition literature, as you probably know, is riddled with hype and personal testimonials; no match for science. But if you research Bwheat, it's got no gluten, fiber and protein are very high, which makes it very filling. We mix it with flax, quinoa, and bulgur wheat and cook it like rice. Apparently it's got a lot of glutamine as well.

Honestly its not to hard to figure out these things.

A doorway was opened to you suggesting gymastics. I suggest you learn a little of that.

There are many other ways to do this. Chan Tai Chi is well known for doing practices that can possibly increase your body mass. Learning some Chen Tai Chi could definately help.

A lot of external martial arts can also be done and has exercises that increases your upper and lower body weight.

Hope that helps.

Health, fitness, and nutrition literature, as you probably know, is riddled with hype and personal testimonials; no match for science. But if you research Bwheat, it's got no gluten, fiber and protein are very high, which makes it very filling. We mix it with flax, quinoa, and bulgur wheat and cook it like rice. Apparently it's got a lot of glutamine as well.

I know all about buckwheat. I was just wondering why you seemed to single it out for recommendation.

I tend to avoid heavy consumption of grains these days but they do have value and a purpose.

.if you have large pectorals already you may hit your chest muscles at the same time....same with your genitalia...if you have a big "johnson" you may be hitting that on the ground simultaneously with your forehead.

Have you been doing naked pushups again? :lol:

I tend to avoid heavy consumption of grains these days but they do have value and a purpose.

Buckwheat is not grain !! so it is great for taoist no-grain diet and for your bodybuilding nutrition.

Chen taijiquan builds dense muscles, makes iron cables of your tendons and ligaments and builds internal power originating from the dantien.

What can a person ask more :)

Buckwheat is not grain !! so it is great for taoist no-grain diet and for your bodybuilding nutrition.

Yes, I know, but it is considered a pseudocereal. It might not technically be a grain but it has so many of the sugary properties of a grain it hardly would be Taoist-friendly. One of the main things to remember about that type of diet is the work-to-calorie ratio. The amount of work it takes to harvest the buckwheat, then to clean and cook it out-weigh the benefits of the calories consumed. Plus, foods of this type are new to our systems, relatively speaking.

But buckwheat may be great for bodybuilding nutrition. I don't dispute that.

Have you been doing naked pushups again? :lol:

Haha....*blush*....I always do my sadhana in the buff....doesn't everyone? ;)

Love,

Edited by CarsonZi

John Petersons training system I think would be a good match for what you are looking for. It is all based on bodyweight exercises. Dynamic tension and isometric exercises that he teaches both can build muscle and increase energy levels. His "miracle 7" excercises are basically a hard qigong that he learned from a martial arts master. After performing them for a couple weeks I am looking more ripped and noticed a little bit of muscle growth which for me is VERY hard to accomplish since I am a classic hardgainer. I am now starting with the isometrics which are supposed to promote faster muscle growth. Bruce Lee was also a believer in isometrics.

So if this interests you check out his website at www.transformetrics.com

Thank you

Combat conditioning?

Sun salutations are quick. I got my yoga teacher to put a bit more upper body work into them for me (low planks) and I do them on my fingertips now and then.

Learning a sai form at the moment for kung fu, thats good for developing forearms.

I'd got with whatever is fun that you enjoy doing everyday.

p.s. we are at home, who doesn't work out naked? B)

Thanks for all the suggestions. This was exactly what I was loking for. Nw I just have to figure out what to choose.

I think a good kettlebell workout can be great. I'll admit I haven't gotten much bigger since I started using it, but I've certainly gotten stronger. The movements require your body works in a coordinated chain, centered and the lower Dantian and waist (Dai Mai). I am not able to maintain the same degree of energetic sensitivity as Taiji practice, but mind, balance, and physical sensitivity definitely come into play.

I'll note, my Taiji system has a similar practice involving sand bags, although to really get the most out of it, you need two people. With the kettlebell I can get much of the benefit alone.