Sign in to follow this  
sabin1star

why start MA threads here?

Taoism / Buddhism and martial arts have always been related. The spiritual search and martial arts share much in common. I praticually enjoy the combination in books like Beyond the Known and Towards the Unknown So historically TTB has always been an appropriate place for these sort of discussions.

As you noted there are many skilled martial artists here, so no need to go to empty flower unless you really want to. The chance of a ration debate as opposed to "my style is better than your style" is marginally higher here and we have a substantially lower flame rate.

Finally many of us are interested in that sort of thing :) I will agree that internet forum questions are a bit pointless as it is impossible to really learn much without touching hands in person. But TTB is, as much as anything, a community of common interests.

I've noticed several recent threads about martial arts and applied self-defense. I don't think this is an appropriate forum for that kind of discussion.

Personally I like the variety.

I see your point as this is a Taoist discussion forum. But those threads generally make me remember why I train internal boxing style(s). My martial aspirations are more than just being able to rip somebody's face off if I am attacked, although that can be very handy.

Like the book says, "One should be able to hear about other ways and be more and more in accord with his own."

I don't do any MA but I do like to read about physical practices as I understand these are very close to emotional and mental practices (of course they are not always so clearly linked on the forum).

I agree with the O.P. If we start getting too many martial arts threads before you know it all the "here, stick this new toy up your ass" threads will get shoved deep - on the second page of topics. And we sure want to leave room for all the T v. B pissin contest threads. Oh wait, maybe that can be part of MA threads. Maybe they can spar with electra-glides or whatever the fuck they were shoved up. Now there's a good idea. One big thread; all welcome. :lol:

I can understand why you are confused seeing as how this is a taoist website but obviously you didnt read the welcome banner.

Welcome to The Tao Bums discussion forum. This is an informal community created to discuss Tao (Dao), particularly as is expressed in key philosophical texts such as the well known Tao Te Ching of Lao Tzu, health and cultivation practices such as Tai Chi and Qigong (Chi Kung), nonconceptual meditation approaches such as Zuowang (sitting and forgetting), and also the historical developments of Taoism as the bona fide Chinese religion of Taoist priests and shamans. Don't let this intro scare you though. Most of us are syncretic at heart. Discussion is encouraged to wander eclectically across a wide range of spiritual thought and practice, whether Buddhist, Yogic, Tantric, Judaic, Advaitic, Christian, Islamic, Shamanic, Occult, "New Age", Integral... As long as you are up for a good time, you're welcome to discuss your path.

I put the little bold thingy in there so there isnt any confusion.

I know you're pretty "hurt" about the whole DVD discussion but if someone is wanting to add a certain practice to their curriculum and want to ask about it is that wrong? I could very well be mistaken but even crappy dvds have their place in the tao. If they didnt then they wouldnt exist...E V E R. I know, I know "but you cant learn from a dvd". Well, that's just dandy but that's your opinion, not a fact, not a law of nature, not anything but your opinion, from your experience. It's great that you share it, obviously you're free to do so but that doesnt mean you're right or even wrong for that matter. It just means that you dont feel as though anyone can gain anything positive from using a DVD.

Ninjar outsy beah beah :ph34r:

Taoism / Buddhism and martial arts have always been related. The spiritual search and martial arts share much in common. I praticually enjoy the combination in books like Beyond the Known and Towards the Unknown So historically TTB has always been an appropriate place for these sort of discussions.

As you noted there are many skilled martial artists here, so no need to go to empty flower unless you really want to. The chance of a ration debate as opposed to "my style is better than your style" is marginally higher here and we have a substantially lower flame rate.

Finally many of us are interested in that sort of thing :) I will agree that internet forum questions are a bit pointless as it is impossible to really learn much without touching hands in person. But TTB is, as much as anything, a community of common interests.

Agreed :D

Well, since many of the Chinese martial arts are grounded in Taoist principles, it doesn't hurt to start threads about them here. A thread about Muay Thai kickboxing or just MMA would be significantly less relevant.

You are an idiot.

Aren't you a Mantak Chia clown? Or maybe you don't have a teacher. You are a joke and if you have a problem with me take it to PM.

You may want to take a closer look at the insult policy. You don't seem to quite have a handle on it.

Why start threads about other people starting threads here?

Well that is exactly what i thought also.

I agree with most of the people's thoughts here.

And like martial arts and Taoism are related etc imo.

I agree with the O.P. If we start getting too many martial arts threads before you know it all the "here, stick this new toy up your ass" threads will get shoved deep - on the second page of topics.

Haha!

Sign in to follow this