Encephalon

According to Deng Ming-Dao, ancient Taoists were radically self-sufficient

Thanks.

The more one knows the better it is. imo. it's as simple as that basically.

Now only to find out how to live over 120 just so you can learn even more? :D

The idea that DMD is a pseudonym is surprising. I Understand that the Chronicles of Tao is somewhat fanciful, as was Opening the Dragon Gate, but DMD is a fairly accomplished painter, poet, and writer with a lot of material to his name. I own all his books but the latest and find his sensibility too grand to dismiss.

Both those books I thought were great reads, but Cleary did Opening the Dragon's Gate.

I loved Chronicles of Tao, it made me want to be a Taoist back in the mid 90's. I knew it was somewhat fanciful, but not far at all from the truth to be thought of, "couldn't have happened", because it sure could have. I found out just after reading it that DMD was a pseudonym, and I was somewhat... eh... oh well'd by that fact. It doesn't really take away from the power of the intent.

Who know's maybe he was reading his own past lives. As reality is just manifest imagination anyway. On a very deep level that would take pages of metaphysics to explore how.

Anyway... I genuinely loved both of those books.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Isn't it neat how our Buddhist members can sneak their Buddhist BS into a thread discussing Taoism?

Be well!

As I understand Deng Ming Dao was a pseudonym used by some guy from NYC named Frank Kai. I think a lot of what he wrote was actually fictional.

Not quite. As I understand it, Frank Kai = Kwan Sai Hung. And that is who the books are written about. Deng Ming Dao may be a pseudonym but he is the author and studied under Kwan Sai Hung for many years.

Great stories. But Kwan Sai Hung is definitely not the same person, at least chronologically, that is portrayed in those books. Paul Gallagher was studying with KSH and took him to meet T.T. Liang. KSH couldn't even speak the language. At least not with the dialect from where he was supposed to have come from.

That is not to say that KSH doesn't have some valuable techniques, he just isn't the guy in the books.

Isn't it neat how our Buddhist members can sneak their Buddhist BS into a thread discussing Taoism?

Be well!

You are so right! I'm particularly impressed with gratuitous belligerence followed by a "Be Well!" signature.

You are so right! I'm particularly impressed with gratuitous belligerence followed by a "Be Well!" signature.

Be well!

I deleted the post because it wasn't nice nor necessary.

Edited by Marblehead

Here is a very interesting little book that I just found.

http://www.amazon.com/When-All-Hell-Breaks...9188&sr=8-1

It is a book for those of us in the midst of suburbia, offering practical (life saving) tips and advice in case of worst case scenarios where water, power, or food lines are disrupted or destroyed. If you think this type of information is unnecessary, you only have to think back as far as Hurricane Katrina.

Blasto is right (no matter the character of Deng Ming-Dao) in that the Taoists were known for their flexibility, self-reliance, and lack of dependence on the cogs that make civilizations turn.

Here is a very interesting little book that I just found.

http://www.amazon.com/When-All-Hell-Breaks...9188&sr=8-1

It is a book for those of us in the midst of suburbia, offering practical (life saving) tips and advice in case of worst case scenarios where water, power, or food lines are disrupted or destroyed. If you think this type of information is unnecessary, you only have to think back as far as Hurricane Katrina.

Interesting, and practical. Thanks!

The author of "When All Hell Breaks Loose", Cody Lundin, has some very cool videos on yahoo.