Sign in to follow this  
Old Man Contradiction

Your favorite nonduality author?

I want to read from another author that teaches nondual states of Being. I've read Eckhart Tolle, which I really like, but I want to keep motivation and also would like to see more examples of where I might be derailing from my path.

Adyashanti seems like a good choice. Do you have any suggestions?

i've heard quite a few good things about Adyashanti.. and really enjoyed Tolle as well.

Anything Dzogchen or Mahamudra would fit you nicely, it's not as light and fluffy as the above authors... more serious and practical, but at the same time extremely profound.

I recommend As It Is, written by one of the foremost Dzogchen masters of our time

http://www.amazon.com/As-Vol-Tulku-Urgyen-...4694&sr=8-1

Edited by mikaelz

I recommend As It Is, written by one of the foremost Dzogchen masters of our time

http://www.amazon.com/As-Vol-Tulku-Urgyen-...4694&sr=8-1

I think that will be the one I buy, but I will wait for other suggestions too see whats on the table. I think I will also get Rupert Spira's book The Transparency Of Things. I believe his history is in Advaita Vedanta.

, really really simple, but I like it. Edited by Old Man Contradiction

Since I was just quoting from it in another thread, I will offer The Holy Teaching of Vimalakirti. It is a wonderful Buddhist sutra that is really designed to rock you to the core and leave you with no place to hang your hat. Not only that, it is one of the few sutras that is just plain fun and entertaining to read, due to all of the amazing stories and crazy magic (which is also supposed to throw the reader through a loop and break down your preconceptions of true and false). This book had such radical ideas on non-duality that it seriously disturbed many of the more traditional Buddhists of the time.

Since I was just quoting from it in another thread, I will offer The Holy Teaching of Vimalakirti. It is a wonderful Buddhist sutra that is really designed to rock you to the core and leave you with no place to hang your hat. Not only that, it is one of the few sutras that is just plain fun and entertaining to read, due to all of the amazing stories and crazy magic (which is also supposed to throw the reader through a loop and break down your preconceptions of true and false). This book had such radical ideas on non-duality that it seriously disturbed many of the more traditional Buddhists of the time.

thank you for your suggestion, I'm checking it out now.

Nisargadatta is always great as is Ramana Maharishi.

Love,

Carson :D

P.S Adyashanti's "Emptiness Dancing" is a great book and I can highly recommend him as a teacher

Edited by CarsonZi

I want to read from another author that teaches nondual states of Being. I've read Eckhart Tolle, which I really like, but I want to keep motivation and also would like to see more examples of where I might be derailing from my path.

Adyashanti seems like a good choice. Do you have any suggestions?

Read Jnana Yoga - A Way of Life by Dr. Ramakrishna Puligandla. It is lucid in it's explanations and will give you a good basis of understanding of Non-duality.

Ramakrishna Puligandla

Also I'd recommend reading Prof. Antonio de Nicolas. Both are fantastic human beings and are top-notch scholars with experiential knowledge.

Antonio de Nicolas

Also Prof Arvind Sharma of McGill Univ:

Advaita Vedanta by Arvind Sharma

These are all "modern" approaches to Wisdom Traditions in general.

You could read more classical texts such as:

Shankara's Vivekachudamani

or start reading the Upanishads and they are a treasure trove of information on Non-Dualism.

You will like David Carse Perfect Brilliant Stillness

Jean Klein

Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

I second:

Nisagatta Maharaj Ultimate Medicine also I AM THAT is online for free

Ramana Maharshi

thank you for all your suggestions. I'll look over all of them.

I'd just like to add, the Rupert Spira video I posted is part of a 4 video series on youtube. It's actually really really good. I guess his book is the same way, but he basically gives you exercises to experience nonduality, not just intellectually believe in or understand it. He is from Jean Klein's lineage. Those 4 videos come highly recommended.

Edited by Old Man Contradiction

I would second Mikael's recommendation of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche books (particularly liked Crystal and the Way of Light for intro and The Cycle of Day and Night for practice, but they're all great), truly good.

Here's one of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche's articles: The Mirror: Advice on the Presence of Awareness - Essay by Namkhai Norbu on the essential aspects of Dzogchen practice

If you like Eckhart Tolle, I believe you will like books by Toni Packer, highly recommendable. These two books are highly recommendable with truly deep insights...

The Wonder of Presence: And the Way of Meditative Inquiry

The Silent Question: Meditating in the Stillness of Not-Knowing

Also recommendable..

Clarifying the Natural State: A Principal Guidance Manual for Mahamudra, by Dakpo Tashi Namgyal

Essentials of Mahamudra: Looking Directly at the Mind, by Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche

Sign in to follow this