Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

Ken Cohen interview

You teach beginners breathing, what is the advanced? What do you think of mantak chia/white cloud/winn's formulas? What is th best qigong? What is the best way to mix qigong and yoga? What is th best book on spiritual practice? How do you become a shaman? What is the best techniques for chi nei tsang? hmmm, thats all i got for now. How can I be immortal? :lol:

Ken,

I was hoping you'd visit!

Like Grand Trinity, I'd like to hear your overall take on the Winn-Chia approach to practice as that approach has been formative for us here. Also, I'm sure you can pick up on the vibe at this site and I'm sure that could inspire a comment or two. Any thoughts on sungazing would be appreciated as well.

-Yoda

Spyrelx,

Read the Obesity Myth. Great book. In short, being over weight is not actually a health problem. It's better to be 75 lbs over weight than 10lbs under weight as far as health and longevity are concerned. Obviously, gross overweight where you have trouble moving is not good. Bad science has supported the popular notion of the ideal body type until recently. Just like scientists used to discover reasons for womens' or Africans' failings. This seems consistent with what I've read on Taoism. Being heavy could be an asset for a practitioner in order to be grounded.

Having said that, I'm working on digging up my 6 pack soon.

-Yoda

I am going to interview him if it works out with his schedule, he told me to call later this week.

He doesn't have a computer.

How did the interview come about?

Q. what are 3 simple things everyone should do?

Q. Do you think society is evolving spiritually or its the same old same old?

How did the interview come about?

8992[/snapback]

I called and asked sweetly. I figured nobody could resist my charm. ;)

You rock, Lozen! I had written him a letter to visit us here, but I see he's honoring his liver and staying offline.

I would also love to hear Ken expound on sitting vs standing. Ask him if you are allowed to write up an article based on your call to post here. Maybe we could interview other teachers too and post articles. Just a thought.

Great work!

-Yoda

PS, his thoughts on tobacco too. I haven't read his native american book. Is it good?

Why is he fat? What happened to the formulas for immortality? Is he an immortal? Is he familiar with 4 dimensional healing? Who is immortal? Where do they live? Is Mantak Chia much cooler than him? (i think so) How about ejecting the pearl? How do we get into Wu dang mountain? What is his favorite movies/music? How hot is his wife? How much does he meditate? Does he have a family? How much herbs does he use? Does he plan on another book? Whats up with atlantis and stuff? Egypt? The devil? God? Jesus? ancient fetus?

Chia cooler than Cohen? Chia has the sizzle to be sure, but in terms of linear thinking and useful teaching skills, I would say Cohen by a lap.

L,

I have nothing to ask Ken in an interview setting. However, I would love to sit in if you do it.

Cameron

Are you in contact with any non-corporeal "teachers"?

If so, do you have different "teachers" from different traditions if you mix spiritual paths (say daoism/qigong practice with Native American Path) or are they the same "teachers"/guides in different disguises?

I think all qi gong authors except Cohen are off their rockers...

That's the elephant that's standing in the living room... why are they all so frickin insane???

Ken is unusually level headed for a guru... it's bizarre. Ask him what practices have led him to this rarified attainment.

-Yoda

I looked up his book on amazon and it looks great!!

He studied with Rolling Thunder??????????? Kick ass!!

Maybe that's why he's sane--he's not a jumpy thoroughbred. I'll post a review when I get my copy.

-Yoda

Spyrelx,

Read the Obesity Myth.  Great book.  In short, being over weight is not actually a health problem.  It's better to be 75 lbs over weight than 10lbs under weight as far as health and longevity are concerned.  Obviously, gross overweight where you have trouble moving is not good.  Bad science has supported the popular notion of the ideal body type until recently.  Just like scientists used to discover reasons for womens' or Africans' failings.  This seems consistent with what I've read on Taoism.  Being heavy could be an asset for a practitioner in order to be grounded. 

Having said that, I'm working on digging up my 6 pack soon.

-Yoda

8990[/snapback]

To Lozen and Yoda,

First, to Yoda,

I think you were responding to a post I put up for a few minutes and then retracted because I thought better of it (damn, are you lurking here ALL the time?). Although Grand Trinity seems to have no problem asking "why is he fat?" I did -- mostly because I went on line and looked at a few recent pictures and he's NOT fat in them. He's middle aged and has a bit of a spread but not as fat as earlier pictures make out.

Oh, and by the way, I haven't read the book but if you or anyone else believes being 75 over what's normally considered median healthy weight is better than being 10 pounds under, you're out of your mind. Median weight usually gives you 10 to 20 pounds to play with and still be within the norm. 75 is a LOT of pounds. I just don't buy it.

Lozen,

If Ken IS noticably hefty when you meet him you might want to raise the issue. Taoism is about balance and it strikes me that being overweight is a symptom of imbalance. So the question would be what do you think it is about your system that causes this imbalance (or prevents you from correcting it). By the way, a similar thing might be said about him being bald. Chia and certain ancient texts would argue that baldness is a sign of imbalance. I wonder if Ken believes that and, if so, where he thinks his imbalance lies.

Thanks

My questions:

Do you believe that each individual has a purpose?

What do you consider necessary preparation for circulating sexual energy in the body?

Are you able to stop thinking? Do you value this ability?

What do you believe happens to the individual upon physical death?

Spyrelx, both in terms of health problems as well as actual longevity 75 lbs over is better than 10 lbs under. Until recently, there's been a lot of bogus science which has misshapen current actuary tables.

Ian, I second the death question.

Ken, if I remember correctly you advise to take nutritional supplements in todays time... so you don't think that charging with the energies of the sun & moon and all living things around us, the universe that that is enough for a practitioner to be fully "nutritionally" supported?

Why then practice?

I thought that practice leads to being able to transcend being under the influence of the 5 elments?

thankx

Spyrelx,

Well, his point is that being overweight, even 75 lbs overweight isn't detrimental to your health and I think that will be nice to hear when the news gets out so people don't diet out of a sense of fear and perhaps can have a better sense of acceptance. I fully understand that it's an unorthodox position. The book was well footnoted and based on studies. Time will tell. As I said, I'm all for gettin shredded!

-Yoda

Spyrelx,

Well, his point is that being overweight, even 75 lbs overweight isn't detrimental to your health and I think that will be nice to hear when the news gets out so people don't diet out of a sense of fear and perhaps can have a better sense of acceptance.  I fully understand that it's an unorthodox position.  The book was well footnoted and based on studies.  Time will tell.  As I said, I'm all for gettin shredded!

-Yoda

9043[/snapback]

Yes, I understand his point. And he's dead wrong. Good luck on your abs.

Lozen:

Don't know if it's too late to add some questions to Mr. Cohen...

First, I really enjoyed his book, but found few pointers to the more "advanced" practices, like sitting, and working with the inherent obstacles of more prolonged cultivation. So my questions are:

1. How is the spine and the opening of the spinal cavities, or chakras, related to emotions and patterns of holding and tension?

2. What is the relation between the spine and the core channel?

3. Could he explain more on the relation between the cosmos/outer universe and the inner cavities/space?

h

Sign in to follow this