Sign in to follow this  
Birch Tree

Internal Alchemy question

Hello friends,

I have a question about internal alchemy, and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Last night I was doing sitting meditation (with my eyes closed in a dark room), but I was trying a different set of hand and leg placements (outlined in Chapter 1 of Taoist Immortality: Alchemy and Immortality). I was trying to focus on my precious cauldron (between the eyes and in the center of the brain), something that I have never tried before. After 15 minutes I began to feel tingly and "charged". I ignored this, and keep focus on trying to locate my precious cauldron. After about a half-hour, I "saw" a flash of white light. It lasted about 2 seconds and was not an immediate flash but rather it was a gradual flash that increased then decreased in intensity. At its brightest, it would have been similar to someone shining a flashlight in my face with my eyes closed. It startled me at first because I wasn't expecting it, but I kept my eyes closed and tried to keep my thoughts empty. I was then feeling so "charged" that I decided to do the microcosmic orbit to balance my energy. That was the most pronounced microcosmic orbit I have ever done. Once the energy mass (that is what it felt like) went around and entered my lower dantien, I had another flash in my eyes similar to the first one and my ears popped. I was so "charged" that I was worried that I might hurt myself, so I opened my eyes and it felt like I was in a daze. I could hear the ceiling fan above me and it sounded like it had slowed down to about half its normal speed. I don't know if that was just my perception or if the fan actually slowed down since I didn't look at it. At this point though, I could not really feel my body all that much, I could only feel the energy and the "charge". I closed my eyes again and tried to ground any excess energy. After about a half hour of this, I was able to get up. My lower dantien felt like it was on fire the rest of the night (normal this morning though).

I have never had an experience quite like this before--It was exciting and a little scary. I should note that I am trying to follow the alchemic practices in the book I mentioned earlier, but this was the first time I have meditated since buying the book. I plan to meditate again tonight.

I've heard that if stuff like this happens to you, you are supposed to keep it to yourself, but the experience was so intense, I don't want to do anything harmful when/if something like this happens again. I welcome any thoughts or insights you might have, or similar experiences if you'd like to share.

Peace,

Birch Tree

Hi sabin1star,

Thanks for the reply. I have done the microcosmic orbit many times before, but it has never been like this. I can't say that I've ever consciously done the macrocosmic orbit, but the book that I am following does talk about it, but I haven't tried it yet. Do you know any good sources for learning the 6 or 8 healing sounds? I usually do sitting-forgetting meditation, the microcosmic orbit, or Spring Forest Qigong, so inner alchemy is somewhat new to me. I be interested to learn the basics of it (which I thought this book was going to teach but perhaps I am mistaken)--do you know of any good sources or texts which might help me build a better foundation for inner alchemy?

Thanks for your thoughts, sabin1star. I would certainly appreciate any additional advice or help you might be willing to offer.

All the best,

Birch Tree

You are right the microsmic orbit is a great way to balance energy. I recommend finding a teacher (or a set of dvds/books) that will show you how to do the microcosmic (lesser heavenly) and macrocosmic (greater heavenly) circulations. You should also learn some version of the 6 healing sounds (or 8 healing sounds or whatever).

I have no problem with you using that particular book I just think it would be a lot safer and more productive in the long run if you learn the basics first.

Hi,

I would urge you to find a teacher.

These kind of practices can be very powerful and downright dangerous if you don`t know what you`re doing.

Upper dantian excercises are generally for advanced students. You don`t want to build up pressure and heat in your head if you`re not properly trained in the basics. Therefore i think it would be unwise to do this without the guidance of an experienced teacher.

If you are serious about alchemical Daoism you will need guidance. Simple as that.

It seems to me that you need a teacher to be able to practice from Taoist Yoga. But sitting in silence and doing the hand and leg placements isn't so risky.

Guest sykkelpump

Hello friends,

I have a question about internal alchemy, and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Last night I was doing sitting meditation (with my eyes closed in a dark room), but I was trying a different set of hand and leg placements (outlined in Chapter 1 of Taoist Immortality: Alchemy and Immortality). I was trying to focus on my precious cauldron (between the eyes and in the center of the brain), something that I have never tried before. After 15 minutes I began to feel tingly and "charged". I ignored this, and keep focus on trying to locate my precious cauldron. After about a half-hour, I "saw" a flash of white light. It lasted about 2 seconds and was not an immediate flash but rather it was a gradual flash that increased then decreased in intensity. At its brightest, it would have been similar to someone shining a flashlight in my face with my eyes closed. It startled me at first because I wasn't expecting it, but I kept my eyes closed and tried to keep my thoughts empty. I was then feeling so "charged" that I decided to do the microcosmic orbit to balance my energy. That was the most pronounced microcosmic orbit I have ever done. Once the energy mass (that is what it felt like) went around and entered my lower dantien, I had another flash in my eyes similar to the first one and my ears popped. I was so "charged" that I was worried that I might hurt myself, so I opened my eyes and it felt like I was in a daze. I could hear the ceiling fan above me and it sounded like it had slowed down to about half its normal speed. I don't know if that was just my perception or if the fan actually slowed down since I didn't look at it. At this point though, I could not really feel my body all that much, I could only feel the energy and the "charge". I closed my eyes again and tried to ground any excess energy. After about a half hour of this, I was able to get up. My lower dantien felt like it was on fire the rest of the night (normal this morning though).

I have never had an experience quite like this before--It was exciting and a little scary. I should note that I am trying to follow the alchemic practices in the book I mentioned earlier, but this was the first time I have meditated since buying the book. I plan to meditate again tonight.

I've heard that if stuff like this happens to you, you are supposed to keep it to yourself, but the experience was so intense, I don't want to do anything harmful when/if something like this happens again. I welcome any thoughts or insights you might have, or similar experiences if you'd like to share.

Peace,

Birch Tree

seems like you are on the right track,I would just continue what i was doing if i where you.make sure to do the active exercises in spring forest every day.It will help you stay balanced.spring forest is one of the best systems out there.no need to change to ken cohen or any other less good systems.I would especially stayed away from mantak chia and winn if I where you.

Thanks sabin1star for your list of resources. I will do some checking into them. I would love to find a teacher, and I do have a qigong teacher whom I respect a great deal, but I am limited by my rural geography.

Does anyone know of a list of reputable Taoist teachers in the United States? I'm not adverse to traveling (within reason) to visit a teacher.

Also, has anyone else tried to follow the internal alchemy techniques in the Taoist Yoga book?

Lastly, is there any chance that what I experienced was a Kundalini rising? As for my third eye, I had thought that I could open my third eye because I often feel a tingling the middle of my forehead during meditation, but perhaps that sensation is a false sensation, and what I experience was more of a true third eye opening?

As always, I appreciate all of your thoughtful suggestions.

All the best,

Birch Tree

Hi sykkelpump,

I do like spring forest qigong a lot. I have tried northern star qigong but I didn't find it as beneficial. I will continue to read up and learn as much as I can. Thanks for your thoughts!

All the best,

Birch Tree

seems like you are on the right track,I would just continue what i was doing if i where you.make sure to do the active exercises in spring forest every day.It will help you stay balanced.spring forest is one of the best systems out there.no need to change to ken cohen or any other less good systems.I would especially stayed away from mantak chia and winn if I where you.

Sign in to follow this