Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

Irrefutable proof of Qi power!

I'm not sure if the first link was a deliberate joke (Thanks for the link, Cameron!) but the content didn't feel like a spoof so I started poking around the main site.

Dr P. Young seems like the real deal as a GrandMaster in Chinese Internal Arts and a Ngakpa Lama (Tantric Yogi) of the Tibetan Buddhist Tradition.

This clip starts with yet more fa jing demonstrations and then goes to a solo demo of Chi Kung and various internal arts. Right at the end of the fa jing check out the guy who is charging in from the left and then seems to bounce off without being touched.

Just my opinion, but I'm highly skeptical of that teacher and that school based on those videos. To the point where I would not take that guy or his (IMO) hypnotized acting students hopping around very seriously. In fact I would assert that he is doing a massive disservice to his students by promoting such unrealistic ideas about self-defense. Fighting a serious aggressor for safety or survival is not pretty and I think it would be a real shame if someone were in an actual situation and with loved one's and they tried to pull off stuff like this, especially in my hood. You know what I mean?

Sean.

Sean I intended it to be a joke. Not that I think Qi power(sometimes called Fa Jing) is bogus but my guess is real Fa Jing is far less dramatic and more like a powerful whiplash of qi that originates in the tan tien and is transmitted out through the tendons. I don't have much experience with it though I have a well trained internal martial arts instructor down the street the learning curve is too long and boring compared to grappling IMO.

And I find grappling more fun, alteast when I am not injuring myself.

The first part of the 'contest' where they push against the master and he redirects it easily is pretty standard stuff. Most teacher level Aikidoists and Tai Chi people do it all the time. No biggy.

The touchless, spastic stuff is--in my opinion somewhat loaded. Meaning if you or I did the punch, we might well fly back, but not do the spastic dance. Again, higher level stuff, there's a timing secret, if you move centered at the right time, people will bounce off you. To do it consecutively and confidently is higher level teacher stuff. But not that uncommon.

The spastic dance after the bounce may well be explained by qi energy. But it is usually only so spastic w/ old students. You see fantastic touchless throws in Aikido, but its easier to do them w/ your own attackers. My sensei talked about teachers who'd throw attackers who were 20 feet away from them. But they could only do it because there was such a strong connection between each of them. It wouldn't work on others/outsiders.

My teacher loved touchless throws. One story he has is demonstrating touchless throw in class and having a judo person say it wouldn't work on him. My teacher said, well lets try it. The judoman attacks gets whammed in the face and goes down hard. The thing about my senseis 'touchless' throws were, we went down early so we wouldn't get smashed.

Sensei Eley's mind body control was such that the power in his limbs held the power of his entire body. You couldn't move him or his hand. There no give. Any person in the way of his swing, was moved. We knew it, and if it was coming our way we'd get the hell out of the way as fast as possible. Usually a ducking roll back.

Its not exactly phoney, but the fact that 'untrained' people wouldn't spaz out (IMHO) is omitted.

My 2 psetas

Michael

Michael,

It was good to have your insight into this. I've been around internal arts just a little bit over the years but most of mine was fairly early stage Tai Chi - and while I think my teacher was a good martial artist I don't recall seeing him demonstrate anything at this level.

And I'm one of those Doubting Thomas types - I want to "put my fingers into the nail holes" - to be able to see it live and feel what's going on. Having someone with some experience share is not quite as good but goes a ways toward setting my skepticism to rest.

I did not know about the more spastic response in trained people - seems like the other side of the increased sensitivity that lets you read an opponent.

Charlie

I'm a bit of a sceptic myself. I was at Tao Mountain and they had a healing (?) demo w/ Dirk Oileak (mispelled). He was showing his 4 dimensional healing technique. He had 3 instructors up there. They spasmed and shook most of the time, one literally bouncing off the table.

Also people in the audience were being visibly shaken by whatever it was(looked like massage) that he was doing. Somehow being either a sceptic or energetically dense kept me from feeling what ever was going on.

Another time I was at Tao Mountain and one of the woman was a cranial rebirther. I've always been like ..right blame crap on something that happened 30 years ago at birth, who can prove you wrong.

Again the person spasmed, was clearly in a deep trance, ended up in the fetal position and had experienced a 'break through'. Matter of fact another guy had gone into meditation room at nite, spasmed went fetal, and had a major break through.

As always I'm on the sidelines observing. I don't think bliss or enlightenment or break throughs come head first. Ultimately we have to close our eyes and jump. Though maybe I'll just peek a little. :)

Michael

Sign in to follow this