chicultivation

Should a Taoist Forum focus primarily on Taoism?

Do we need a Buddhist perspective on everything here - even if irrelevant?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Is constant Buddhist banter bothersome?

• Yes, totally irritating.
    • Somewhat, keep Buddhist topics limited to one or more specific threads.
    • Have a seperate Buddhist section where Buddhists can talk and preach freely.
    • No, Buddhists can express their disagreement and explanations in every thread, its fine.
    • Buddhist talk can be allowed in the main forum but in a controlled way i.e. posters limit their posts to a reasonable number and post when relevant

Vajrahridaya,

You've been looking for the reasons to meditate - Suprise - it is not what you think.:

First, even in the beginning it gives you an idea of what Karma does & sources

Empty mind form of meditation is designed to erase karma.

Remember the poem I posted?

This is meditation: - : see if you can spot the karma portion.

The 4th Mirror

Close your eyes and what do you have?

No tv, no outside, & no emotional mountains.

Only what you know, reason, imagine & your true self.

Find Time's

Eternal

Self

We don't identify the open state of meditation, where one experiences the empty void of consciousness, known as one of the 4. formless jhanas/samadhis where time, things and gross or "refined spiritual" manifestations are suppressed for a time in quiescent focus, as an ultimate Self of the Universe.

This is not the Buddha's teaching.

Wayfarer64: Have you really talked to Robed Buddhists? They don't act like us at all. :lol: All the monks in E-Sangha at least are unbelievably joyful and rational at the same time. On the other hand, I remember a Pure Land Taiwanese layman who said that many modern Chinese monastics are rather suspect. This kept him suspicious of Buddhism for a long time, almost until his old age.

Hah! You must have missed Bhikku Pesala and Kalavinka.

Hey I hope thats what we are all here for - to ask and question- offer our own perspectives and share as fellow seekers - usually it is that way... This thread is a manifestation of a problem that needed to be addressed.

For me, the ignore function is a fine tool to buffer the inconsiderate... those who do not concider how they dis-affect or intrude on others, but only wish to propagate their agendas... We have had several here- as itterated above - all of this will pass & I trust that we all will have grown some in the process.

The support for/from each-other is real here for many and it is a great blessing. That Buddhists can't seem to get that together on the web is a very serious problem - for them...The forced dogma issue seems to be needeing a good hard look from neophytes, proponants and scholars alike.

I say any belief is spurious at best... B)

You know, my lay teacher of religion in high school had a degree in teology: dogmatic. She was really brilliant, so much that now and then (on average every 5 years) I still look for her, and we go have something to eat and chat.

She could make you understand dogma as something (??!!) positive (??!!) inside the christian faith.

Her take was that dogma is a series of claim and assertion who are to be accepted or left without particular mental dialectic. And that as such are used to define a group of people as participants to a particular community (I kind of recall from 20 years ago).

There was no mention (or claim) that those claims were absolute truths, just a tool to distinguish who is in, and who is seeing the world differently.

When years later I told her I was studying kan and li, she answered on the spot: "hmm, that was hexagram 63, if I recall well". Indeed quite a unique high school christian religious teacher.

I do not suffer fools.

No, but you certainly talk some truly ignorant bullshit.

and childish in its precepts.

This comment right here, is enough for me to call you out, and say that you are a liar when you say you have talked to monks the world over. If you spoke even just to 1 monk in each of the places you referred to, you would have a basic understanding of why the precepts are what they are. Saying that they are childish, just shows that you are too weak to be able to follow some, maybe any, of them.

those who do not concider how they dis-affect or intrude on others, but only wish to propagate their agendas

You do realize that with your posts in this thread, you are now one of those inconsiderate ones you like to use ignore on? Pot meet kettle, etc.

Try disagreeing, without being disagreeable.

I begin to see the problem as some do not yet understand the meaning of the word Tao

Tao means "How to" it is the first Chinese character in the title of an instruction manual.

Taoism is following the path of understanding used in Tao it is the Chinese instructional manual for understanding all that is through the perspectives of Yin & Yang & Change.

As such - there must be a Tao of Buddhism.

Source: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...on&ct=title

One point that is being missed on Buddhism is that Buddhism is not a religion.

It does not use the belief system, it does not make a person or thing into a worship idol.

It does see itself as an education in philosophy with its efforts guided toward teaching people to live in society in harmony with each other as well as yourself...

I seem to remember having read more than a few complaints on attacks...

Actually I don't see how restrictions on the posting on different subjects as being constructive for a discussion forum that is designed to examine, disect, qualify and quantitate a philosophy.

There are many different forms of Taoism: Where will the restrictions end?

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoism

Including Zen, the I Ching, the many, many gods of the Tao, medical Tao, Tai Chi tao, Tao of education http://tsoidug.org/dizigui_trans_simp.php (Student rules), The Tao of Kung Fu, the Tao of Confucianism, the Tao of government, The Tao of farming ....

Carl G. Jung, the guy that wrote the 80 page commentary on "The Secret of The Golden Flower", saw Buddhism as the Tao of the mental health clinic of the east.

Buddhism does try to sugarcoat the words to help people swallow it - it does in in English but not in Chinese -... But once the sugar-coating is removed - its advice toward creating a harmonious society is fairly obvious...

I live in Hong Kong - 7.5 Million people - you can drive across the entire area in less than an hour - and it is home to the most densely populated city in the world : Ya Ma Tei.

A philosophy of tolerance and patience is seen as a survival tool in China. In Beijing, it is not unusual for well over a million people (in year 2,000 it was 1.25 million) to pass through the train station on new years day. They do it without a problem through the philosophy of "tolerance and patience"

The Chinese Laugh at the foreigners that have trouble walking in the crowded streets as this is the essence of harmony of the individual with society...To them it is a sign of how out of tune foreigners are within their own humanity

Source: http://www.amtbweb.org/tchet111.htm

jaKe, you're new here. The controversy is not about Buddhism per se, but about the appearance 3 months ago here of an e-sangha cast-off who has posted nearly 1,000 times on esoteric Buddhism in most every thread he encounters. Lonnng posts. It's called thread hijacking. It's annoying because a lot of threads he participates in which have nothing to do with Buddhism get bogged down and die, so he jumps to the next thread with the same irritating pontificating, pointlessly making endless points.

We can't figure out why he's here on TaoBums,except that he gets to be a big, important Buddhist authority in a smaller pond, and he doesn't take the many hints that he's annoying and exasperating as hell to many members, except that he is a "realized being" and we should be so lucky to receive the dharma from him.

{from the What the Self is (and is Not) thread}:

QUOTE(Vajrahridaya @ Aug 19 2009, 09:57 PM) *

"Highly realized Buddhists of which there have been more than highly realized Hindu's seem to do just fine without an ultimate Self of all. We still manifest deep compassion, and unconditional love."

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

It's annoying because a lot of threads he participates in which have nothing to do with Buddhism get bogged down and die, so he jumps to the next thread with the same irritating pontificating, pointlessly making endless points.

QUOTE(Vajrahridaya @ Aug 19 2009, 09:57 PM) *

"Highly realized Buddhists of which there have been more than highly realized Hindu's seem to do just fine without an ultimate Self of all. We still manifest deep compassion, and unconditional love."

You make a lot of violence...

I'm not a Buddha...

Also... there's plenty of people here who enjoy my posts. People are scared to say it because they are scared to get attacked, but they tell me in private.

Your view of me is quite subjective... but of course you want teammates in order to validate your oddly subjectively annoyed position that doesn't talk much of your state of mind. Of course, this is going to turn into another attempt to attack me personally.

Have at it, it seems to be the only cause for your postings. I give you reason to be! :lol::lol::lol: Just kidding. Don't take that seriously or serious taker.

the inability to respond without attachment and communicate good discussion turns into anger and hatred

yoda.jpg

You make a lot of violence...

Violence??

So why are you here instead of e-sangha?

What is your perception as to why this particular thread exists?

Read my other postings on other threads?

My comments are not personal, but merely a response to what you yourself post.

No anger, no hatred. Yes annoyance and irritation. Ah, it's good to be alive!!! ;)

Violence??

No anger, no hatred. Yes annoyance and irritation. Ah, it's good to be alive!!! ;)

If you find that a good reason to be alive... then that's fine, you can have it.

That seems to be attachment to delusional states of consciousness to me, not that this would matter to you at all of course.

Violence??

So why are you here instead of e-sangha?

What is your perception as to why this particular thread exists?

Read my other postings on other threads?

chill, you're way too overly attached to all of this. think about it, what would you do if Vajra left/ you'd actually have to find something else to post about? something... actually meaningful maybe? that would be... amazing! you can do that anyway, pretend he did leave. this board is not exclusive to Taoists, so I don't see why anyone who is Buddhist shouldn't post, and shouldn't be able to post about Buddhism.

and for the record, most of the threads that Vajra did participate in were on topic to Buddhism, like the Vedanta vs Buddhism thread or the Tao one too. and the ones that did go off topic were carried that way by other causes, not just Vajra himself. if there was no interest in his posts, there would not have been any response to them. and if people did want to stay on topic, then the topic would've continued regardless of Buddhist posting.

You don't think, that's why... no, can't be.

Come again, nacster?

hey Songs,

you accuse Vajra of posting about Buddhism in every thread, which actually isn't true, but anyway.. what's worse. posting about Buddhism in every thread, or creating threads that personally attack people, even creating another username to sarcastically attack another person and follow them around in threads (you were Jesusfreak), and still continually personally attacking them in threads? http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=136763 so whats worse? wanting to have spiritual discussion or personally attacking people on a spiritual forum?

you really don't contribute to this forum at all. why are you here? not enough drama on TV for ya?

Edited by mikaelz

chill, you're way too overly attached to all of this. think about it, what would you do if Vajra left/ you'd actually have to find something else to post about? something... actually meaningful maybe? that would be... amazing! you can do that anyway, pretend he did leave. this board is not exclusive to Taoists, so I don't see why anyone who is Buddhist shouldn't post, and shouldn't be able to post about Buddhism.

and for the record, most of the threads that Vajra did participate in were on topic to Buddhism, like the Vedanta vs Buddhism thread or the Tao one too. and the ones that did go off topic were carried that way by other causes, not just Vajra himself. if there was no interest in his posts, there would not have been any response to them. and if people did want to stay on topic, then the topic would've continued regardless of Buddhist posting.

Hey, you guys aren't irritated or annoyed, are you? Plus, 1,000 posts in 3 months speaks to internet forum addiction, so I'm just trying to apply some tough love. Plus plus, you guys never stand by your statements

(realized Buddhist beings). I'm here, this is the bardo, so just deal with me too, like I must deal with y'all...

hyuk hyuk!

Hey, you guys aren't irritated or annoyed, are you? Plus, 1,000 posts in 3 months speaks to internet forum addiction, so I'm just trying to apply some tough love. Plus plus, you guys never stand by your statements

(realized Buddhist beings). I'm here, this is the bardo, so just deal with me too, like I must deal with y'all...

hyuk hyuk!

OHHH!!

So following Vajra around in threads and incessantly making sarcastic comments personally attacking him was all done because of your compassion in trying to help him. You are so kind man.

Thank you!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

So what is wrong with e-sangha, man? Lots o' budding buddhists there to debate the finer points of esoterica!

Like I said before, this is not a forum that is exclusive to Taoists. there are many other Buddhists here, and Hindus, and Rastafarians. you name it. Nothings wrong with E Sangha. I like it here. I like communicating with people here, sharing ideas, learning. All are welcome. but unfortunately I wish there were less of these sarcastic fellows who never really have anything worthwhile to say. Why are you here I asked? all you do is create drama and never have anything beneficial to say. Why do you feed off negativity like a hungry ghost?

Edited by mikaelz

Come again, nacster?

Er.. You don't think Vajrahridaya intends to irritate you into seeing your existence as dissatisfactory, do you?

PS. I don't think it's a very Buddhist attitude to call spiritual seekers who see life as good "deluded". Classical Japanese scholars saw Buddhism as the essence of leading a good, pure life.

Like I said before, this is not a forum that is exclusive to Taoists. there are many other Buddhists here, and Hindus, and Rastafarians. you name it. Nothings wrong with E Sangha. I like it here. I like communicating with people here, sharing ideas, learning. All are welcome. but unfortunately I wish there were less of these sarcastic fellows who never really have anything worthwhile to say. Why are you here I asked? all you do is create drama and never have anything beneficial to say. Why do you feed off negativity like a hungry ghost?

Mik, you seem like you're learning. V, he's here to prove to himself and us that he's right, and the best way is Vajrayana and Dogzchin.

OK, don't stroke out. Read some of my posts on other threads, whydontchoo? V has the zeal of the converted fundamentalist... thats cool. He lectures, doesn't learn, that's cool.

So, to switch the subject, what kind of daily practices do you guys honestly do? You are on the internet forums around the clock. How is that compatible with a deep spiritual life?

Mik, you seem like you're learning. V, he's here to prove to himself and us that he's right, and the best way is Vajrayana and Dogzchin.

OK, don't stroke out. Read some of my posts on other threads, whydontchoo? V has the zeal of the converted fundamentalist... thats cool. He lectures, doesn't learn, that's cool.

oh well. i think you are misreading his intent, truly.

So, to switch the subject, what kind of daily practices do you guys honestly do? You are on the internet forums around the clock. How is that compatible with a deep spiritual life?

this is my summer before the last year of undergrad, so i'm just relaxing.. working a little.. meditating.. reading.. and cruising on the internets. i have way too much freetime and need to meditate more. B) I just got back from a year in Asia and it was very hard to maintain a healthy spiritual practice there.. though I tried. i'm still recovering from that!

Edited by mikaelz

lots and lots of mantra... om ah hum's, om mani padme hum's, om ah hum vajra guru padma siddhi hum plus t'hun's which include tantra, mantra, mudra and dzogchen contemplation, and sometimes i get to an anusara yoga class or i do a yantra tibetan yoga practice at home... i used to do everyday... Oh my practice changes over the years to intense to less so, back to intense...

what's it to ya, eh?

What do you do?