Sign in to follow this  
ZAKI

Assalam

Hello everybody, I am a young muslim convert who has come to this site so that I can learn more about the taoist religion (for school reasons and so I can just know about it)

Thank you and wasalam (peace)

Hello everybody, I am a young muslim convert who has come to this site so that I can learn more about the taoist religion (for school reasons and so I can just know about it)

Thank you and wasalam (peace)

Hello Zaki and welcome to taobums, as far as I found out here, there is philosophical Taoism and religious Taoism, I haven't read the Wikipedia article yet though.

thank you for the welcomes

a question: can you adopt the taoist philosophy and still be a muslim or is it tied to the religion? Also-what is the taoist philosophy??? :)

wasalam

thank you for the welcomes

a question: can you adopt the taoist philosophy and still be a muslim or is it tied to the religion? Also-what is the taoist philosophy??? :)

wasalam

I was interested in comparative religion and if certain qigong was allowed under islam. I recall that there is a common question whether yoga is allowed under islam or not, some scholars especially from saudi arabia were strict about the subject and looked at the issue from the view point of Tashabbuh (Mimicking or Imitating) as stated in the hadith "He who imitates a people (Qaum) then he is from them" in Arabic: من تشبه بقوم فهو منهم

and they said that the yogic movements were meant to worship Hindu gods. I'm not sure about the validity of this reasoning, and I don't think it applies especially with Taoist alchemical methods. There is the internal question if I for example wanted to do these practices for health and not in public, it is possible that Islam has it's own alchemy in the form of prayers, recitations and the Hajj among others in addition to a spiritual lineage to Muhammad (PBUH) and Allah (SWT) and these practices from other lineages might interfere with them. Some Taoist lineages as well as Buddhist schools prohibit being involved in other religions. These specific questions need spiritual insight in the spiritual realms which is difficult to find.

My understanding (which could be off) is that philosophical Taoism is more concerned with spirituality, alchemy, enlightenment, and the tao te ching philosophy.

Whereas religious Taoism has more priority for worshiping and revering many deities.

here is a collection of related links:

islam and yoga google search

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_oth...gious_pluralism

2 posts by me about the possibility of the common origin of Da Mo's scriptures and the Abrahamic books:

post 1

post 2

a forum about spirituality with many sections about other religions including islam you might find talk about this issue including experiences.

A forum section about the different Taoist sects by members who used to post here.

A new thread about the relationship between Islamic and Taoist alchemical knowledge

I hope this helps.

best regards,

DE

Hi ZAKI,

Welcome!

May you enjoy your time here.

I am a philosophical Taoist. I hold to no religion. I feel that anyone, whether a religious person or not, can be a philosophical Taoist. Tao philosophy will not violate any aspect of any religion as far as I am aware of.

There are many links at this site where you can find out more information.

For someone just beginning their investigation of Taoist philosophy I most always recommend reading at least three different translations of the Tao Te Ching then read a translation of Chuang Tzu. These can be found here: http://terebess.hu/english/lexikon/l.html

My understanding (which could be off) is that philosophical Taoism is more concerned with the tao te ching philosophy, spirituality, alchemy and enlightenment.

I know the intentions were honest but the Tao Te Ching does not really speak to the subjects of spirituality, alchemy or enlightenment. Many people feel it does and that is okay.

Enjoy your search.

Be well!

I know the intentions were honest but the Tao Te Ching does not really speak to the subjects of spirituality, alchemy or enlightenment. Many people feel it does and that is okay.

Enjoy your search.

Be well!

I meant each one as a separate item not all of them as if included in the tao te ching, bad listing method I did there, sorry. - now fixed. (hopefully)

Thank you,

DE

Edited by Desert Eagle

thank you for the comments-I will try to read all the stuff you have posted marblehead and desert eagle...it is appreciated! :)

wasalam

Okay other than the ying yang-is there anything other behind philosophical taoism? jazakallah khair!

wasalam

I meant each one as a separate item not all of them as if included in the the tao te ching, bad listing method I did there, sorry. - now fixed. (hopefully)

Thank you,

DE

We are good. Not to worry. :)

Be well!

Okay other than the ying yang-is there anything other behind philosophical taoism? jazakallah khair!

wasalam

I know this is going to sound strange at the first reading but if you continue with your search into Taoist philosophy (Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu) you will find that what it behind it all is a guide (yes, a guide only) for every important aspect of living in the 'real world' to the best of your capabilities and capacities.

Be well!

Sign in to follow this