nac

20 most common rhetorical devices found on the internet

Twenty Special Forms of Rhetoric

Rhetoric has been a topic of academic interest for, approximately, forever. Below are detailed a number of special types of rhetorical argument, some of which (eg, (3)) have been observed since the time of Aristotle [Aristotle] and before. Others (eg, (1)) have been clearly recognized only within the last century [eg, Davis and Hersh]. Some of these (eg, (2)) have never been explicitly delineated before. The uses of rhetoric are manifold and many explications of such have been made before, which this paper will not repeat.

1. Proof by Intimidation

A: What do you think about objection X?

B: That's silly!

2. Proof by Loudness

B: That's VERY SILLY!!!

3. Proof by Impressiveness

B: Well, I'm very smart, very well known, and respected, and I know much more than you, and I think you are silly.

4. Proof by Obfuscation

B: Well, X is related to Y, Y is related to Z, and Z is often confused with W, which is considered to be very similar to Q, which is silly.

Read rest of article here

[edited by admin for copyright issues]

Edited by sean

Twenty Special Forms of Rhetoric

Rhetoric has been a topic of academic interest for, approximately, forever. Below are detailed a number of special types of rhetorical argument, some of which (eg, (3)) have been observed since the time of Aristotle [Aristotle] and before. Others (eg, (1)) have been clearly recognized only within the last century [eg, Davis and Hersh]. Some of these (eg, (2)) have never been explicitly delineated before. The uses of rhetoric are manifold and many explications of such have been made before, which this paper will not repeat.

1. Proof by Intimidation

B: That's silly!

2. Proof by Loudness

B: That's VERY SILLY!!!

3. Proof by Impressiveness

B: Well, I'm very smart, very well known, and respected, and I know much more than you, and I think you are silly.

4. Proof by Obfuscation

B: Well, X is related to Y, Y is related to Z, and Z is often confused with W, which is considered to be very similar to Q, which is silly.

Read rest of article here

[edited by admin for copyright issues]

Great thread!:0