Edward M

Meditation can mask the shadow self

Here is a wise article that some here should read and really think about....inlcuding myself :)

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Meditatio...4171/story.html

sometimes i've found that standing is better for me as it takes more willpower to get through the difficult stages of zz and thus hardens you inside (ina positive way) to make it easier to go and interact with others and do your work.

peace

Ed

Excellent article, because this is very true.

Sometimes dealing with every day life is the hardest spiritual practice.

Sorry, but I think its a bullsh*t article on meditation.

If meditation has an object, the object is to observe the mind and thus magnifying awareness. Looks like these particular "mediators" use meditation as some sort of self-hypnosis to escape reality and not, as it should be, to pacify the mad monkey mind through the use of careful observation of the mind's workings.

Edited by koyanishi

Sorry, but I think its a bullsh*t article on meditation.

If meditation has an object, the object is to observe the mind and thus magnifying awareness. Looks like these particular "mediators" use meditation as some sort of self-hypnosis to escape reality and not, as it should be, to pacify the mad monkey mind through the use of careful observation of the mind's workings.

What a coincidence. Your response shows what the article is talking about. Do you meditate?

What a coincidence. Your response shows what the article is talking about. Do you meditate?

I do practice shamata meditation and you don't read.

That's not what the article is talking about.

From the article

In other words, Eigen believes Owen used meditation to deny his own dark side.

That psychiatrist lives off of peoples "dark side" so of course its in his interest to publicize supposed ills of meditation.

Meditation is not about denying a dark side or denying anything. It is the contrary of what that silly article says and it is simply becoming aware of the minds working.

If you meditate and are suffering from the many supposed ills of meditation enumerated in that article then perhaps there is something wrong with your meditation technique.

It is my experience and the experience of many others that the practice of meditation naturally leads one to become more sensitive to others and also to become less depressed quite unlike the subjects of that article - so I wonder where that psychiatrist dug those veteran meditators up.

- so I wonder where that psychiatrist dug those veteran meditators up.

The people who use meditation like this is everywhere. In every school or path of meditation. They dont need to be dug up... they are everywhere :D

Its human nature to try to escape our own pain. Meditation, food, drugs, all can easily be used as an escape.

But Im sure a good meditation teacher would explain this to their students so they at least have a chance to see it when it happens to themselves.

The people who use meditation like this is everywhere. In every school or path of meditation. They dont need to be dug up... they are everywhere :D

Its human nature to try to escape our own pain. Meditation, food, drugs, all can easily be used as an escape.

But Im sure a good meditation teacher would explain this to their students so they at least have a chance to see it when it happens to themselves.

Meditation relieves suffering not through escape but the opposite of that and that is an examination of the mind - and so I assume the escape artists that are the subject of that article are practicing something other than meditation.

Meditation relieves suffering not through escape but the opposite of that and that is an examination of the mind - and so I assume the escape artists that are the subject of that article are practicing something other than meditation.

Valid statement and assumption, I think.

Actually, before I broke my hip I had my best meditation experiences while walking along a road parallel to a river. Water soothes my mind.

Be well!

I think this article misses the point of meditation

Meditation should lead to the development of wise beliefs, which Wilber says require a commitment to "compassion for all sentient things." In turn, that requires developing a self (or ego) that is skilful enough to put compassion into practical action.

This looks more like a description of ethics which, in my experience, is not the goal of meditation (in general, there are many types of meditation so it's hard to speak to each one).

Meditation is practical - if it is practiced throughout the day. To me, meditation is not only sitting in that place in the <insert favorite> position. Throughout the day, meditation is not getting caught in the egoic mind, in the forms and emotions that rise and fall.. it is not identifying a sense of 'self' with the rising and falling situations/emotions/etc.

Similar to a breath meditation where when we realize we've lost ourselves in something else, we can do the same throughout the day and just be aware of what is happening. This doesn't mean to be recluse, we still act, but we do so from a 'deeper' place. We don't just react mindlessly, we approach life from a slightly different view point.

It's hard to explain but I feel that meditation is the path and the goal in this sense. If we can be aware and not reside in the rising and falling, just let it do what it does, then we are free from it while not being separate from it.

Hi Unconditioned,

I agree. It is my understanding that meditation is for emptying, not filling.

If one is "developing wise beliefs" one is not meditating.

Be well!

I think this article misses the point of meditation

This looks more like a description of ethics which, in my experience, is not the goal of meditation (in general, there are many types of meditation so it's hard to speak to each one).

Yeah, the article certainly misses the point about meditation. Meditation uncovers a downside and thus in the process of uncovering it it eliminates it instead of covering it up as the article's title will have you believe.

I don't think the article is about ethics at all.

True there are many schools of meditation but the article was addressing Buddhist meditation specifically. All schools of Buddhist meditation start from the practice of shamata and it was from the point of view of shamatha meditation that I answered that article.

Meditation is practical - if it is practiced throughout the day.

Meditation can have practical effects if even practiced for as little as ten minutes a day. Of course you might be able to reach an advanced practice where you have "meditation in action".

Edited by koyanishi

My limited experience and observation of psychotherapy is that there will always be something wrong with you. :D .

No one around me who has been in therapy has truly improved their lives. :D

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

From many p.o.v it shows the reality out there: very fiew are interested in meditation just for meditation's sake.

What a mixed-up world!

Also, it's quite clear that is done by a non-practicioner. Whatever they may say.