DanC

Taoist Meditation and Longevity Techniques

I found this book on Amazon which is edited by Livia Kohn and can't really find any info as to what it contains, has anyone read this book.

Also any other books you guys can recommend to me on Taoist Longevity techniques, Im looking for simple straight to the point books which outlines techniques and the benfits of each practice, something along the lines of the

"Complete System of self healing by Stephen Chang, which in my opinion is the best book I have found thus far

Daniel

Perhaps try James Mcritchie. I just bought a set of books from Louis Komjathy. Spiritual Qigong by twicken is great. Dan Reid's book is good, so is Mike Frost's and Ken Cohen's.

I just found "Taoist Health Exercise Book by Da Liu" which seems to be what Im after, straight to the point simple taoist meditation and breathing exercises.

I can't believe I spent money Michael Winns products, I was so disapointed in his CKF (1,2) , I think his products totally suck and are way to complicated, I hate all the formulas and think its really over complicated.

To quote Lao Tse and Stephen Chang on Taoist techniques,

"My way is simple and easy" Lao-Tse

"And true Taoist methods are simple and easy" Stephen Chang.

Daniel

Daniel... just to rebalance your extreme view... I personally did not enjoy Stephen Chang's book and DO LIKE M. Winn's 1 & 2 VERY MUCH...

Harry sunshine

Everyone is different, some people like Winn some don't. I think he is too metaphysical for my liking and prefer a simpler straight forward approach.

Daniel

Does michael Winn sort of twitch or shudder when he speaks, on the DVD he is constantly sort of twitching and you also hear some weird noises on the audio as well. Anyone else notice this, if yes whats the deal with him..

Daniel

Can't answer your question, but I think the way he breathes (on the tapes) was really distracting. I'm sure I have many annoying features people could elucidate on, if they chose to, but it made me feel weird for some reason.

lol, I noticed his jaw twitches.

Interesting to hear both sides of the Winn debate..something I been hearing about a good deal...someone needs to just reveal all those formuals in an easy to learn fashion...and quick! FUCK THE ELITE TAOISTS! THEY CAN LICK MY NUTSACK 999 TIMES

Jane Hallander was a Taijiquan & qigong enthusiast who died of cancer at age 58.

Sun LuTang died at age 52.

Yang ChengFu died at age 53.

Meanwhile, quite a lot of other practitioners have led very long lives...

So, what is the exact effect of Taijiquan/qigong on longevity? Does it really promote it? Does it have a negligible effect? Might it even possibly reduce it?

Might it perhaps drain your lifeforce? Or might it add to it?

Or does it depend upon how the Taijiquan is practiced?

Edited by vortex

Guest sykkelpump

I think Ken Cohen is the only straightforward one, AND he doesn't look like a monkey. :lol:

Well,he doesent look healthy either

I remember Winn when he came to one of Bruce Frantzis' bagua workshops. He was a talker.

Jane Hallander was a Taijiquan & qigong enthusiast who died of cancer at age 58.

she was an ignorant poser.

Sun LuTang died at age 52.

this is ridiculous. no he did not.

http://www.egreenway.com/taichichuan/sunbio.htm

Yang ChengFu died at age 53.

he killed himself with food and alcohol. it was his concsious decision, does not have much to do with tjq. Edited by Procurator

Cheng Manching boozed himself to death as well. I like some of Reid and Cohen's stuff.

I found this book on Amazon which is edited by Livia Kohn and can't really find any info as to what it contains, has anyone read this book.

its a translation of genuine precepts, a valuable book.

bruce lee died of an allergic reation... why on earth would you put him there? lol

I guess my question is if perhaps martial arts training (even internal) might expend or deplete lifeforce?

there is no such term. correct practice builds up post-heaven qi.

Or not be as great at extending longevity as some might imagine?

depends. It will extend longevity of a person with innate deficiency.

Whether a taoist practitioner can live a long life is definitely a criterion to judge the success or correctness of her/his practice although most Buddhists don't talk about that . I think Taoist idea is better otherwise any person can boast of how best his/her spiritual cultivation is , and, subjective , spiritual achievement of a person is always difficult to prove .

If many people who do not practice any qigong or taiji can live up to 90 years old , it seems living beyond it is something basic for taoist practitioners ( get killed in an accident is another story )?

Another faster criterion to judge is to see whether that person always look young or not ; in this way , you can judge a so-called master within few years , no need to wait for decades , as wrinkles on people's face is the most difficult thing to hide :-)

Edited by exorcist_1699

There are too many factors involved to judge longevity and tai chi and qi gong practice.

i.e. heredity, diet. living conditions, bad habits.

Many masters have claimed they were sickly before they started practice.

One thing I have observed is that one will feel better and be in better condition

than some one the same age who doesn't play tai chi or qi gong.

A non player may live longer than a player, however they may not be able to get around

or be confined to a bed or wheel chair.

In other words you will be able to enjoy life more if you play than if you don't.

"Many masters have claimed they were sickly before they started practice."

Maybe it is true ; but if they are masters, then although originally they look old and sickly ,they can reverse it . There are many records about fallen teeth re-grown , whiten hair blacken , even un-reproductive man becomes reproductive again...recorded in the old Chinese books. I hope I am not too demanding towards the "masters" :-)

Edited by exorcist_1699